Is the GF4 worth waiting for?

G

Hi, I am more or less ready to buy all the components for the PC I am building. I was going to go for a GF3 Ti500, but would it be wise to wait for the GF4?
I have waited a long time to get this PC together, so want it to be really good, but also, I don't want to wait for ages to finally have it.
How long realisticly would I have to delay purchase if I wanted a GF4........

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
GF4 is to be lauch mid-feb,so this meens that you will see some in stores in the last week of feb.
As for the price point i realy dunno yet but the first one to hit the streets will be MX version.

Sorry for my spelling I'm french...hey I ain't perfect!

G

Hmm, I really don't know what to do. I want my new PC now, but I don't fancy paying £300 for a GF3 Ti 500. Only for it to be outdated a few weeks later. And I don't fancy buying a slower graphics card, then upgrading later to the GF4.

I suppose an option is to take my old PCI voodoo2 into my new system. and just not play games until a few weeks later when i could buy a gf4.
but, actually that has no 2d. so i couldn't.

ARGH!!!!
I donno what to do :)

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Haha, the Ti500 WILL NOT be outdated any time soon. The GF4 will come out in the MX version, and from what I see will suck so much it won't even stand ground against a GF3 Ti200....the Ti4600 is a different story though- it looks like it will kick some serious ass.

Only if you let me see the Umpa Lumpa- Homer Simpson.

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
When you'll find a game that slows down a GF3...tell me what game it is pleassseee so i can see that.
For now the software part of pc world can'nt keep up with the hardware part of it.
My personnal advise to you is wait for the GF4 (only 3 weeks to go)and go for the price.
As for myself my next upgrade will be the ATI 8600 or 8900 i'm not shure of the name yet ,about the same as the 8500 but 128Mb and gpu/mem speed up.

I got one 8500DV and one Asus Ti500 Deluxe and NO game/appz taxe my pcs for now...

eden

Champion
Here's a game that left me astonished that even after 2 years since its release, it remains a frame rate dropper:
Sacrifice, bundled in Asus V8200 series.
This game, is smooth at all areas in exploring but once you summon or see more than 10 creatures on screen, it's weird how the frames finally start skipping, but even as it's old. In the Map Editor I saw the frame counter, at idle it was 400+!! When in front of over 15 creatures not moving or maybe moving, it drops seeminglessly to 23! Strange, but maybe it's not normal as it has a Target Frame Rate feature...
I tried the game on a P4 1.7 with 256 RD, GF3 and it was lagging like I said, and on my AXP 1600 with Ti200 clocked at near GF3 speeds, still lagging at these moments!

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I saw leaked benchmarks linked at OCP and G4MX beat the GF3 Ti 500 in 3dmark 2000 & 2001. But I'm interested in seeing what ATi says will blow the GF4 out of the water with their R300 comin out early summer.

Hard work often pays off in time, but laziness always pays off now.

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
Thanks Eden,i'll try the game tonight when i'll get home...i never noticed this,but if it's only when there is a lot of creatures,could it be the CPU power that comes overtaxed?

eden

Champion
That would be rather sad wouldn't it?
2 years ago we only had 800s P3s, I can hardly imagine how the game ran back then if that's how!
It's surprising to see those new generation machines like AXPs and P4s over 1.5GHZ to be outlasted by 2 year old software,

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Here's a game that left me astonished that even after 2 years since its release, it remains a frame rate dropper:
Sacrifice, bundled in Asus V8200 series.
This game, is smooth at all areas in exploring but once you summon or see more than 10 creatures on screen, it's weird how the frames finally start skipping, but even as it's old. In the Map Editor I saw the frame counter, at idle it was 400+!! When in front of over 15 creatures not moving or maybe moving, it drops seeminglessly to 23! Strange, but maybe it's not normal as it has a Target Frame Rate feature...
I tried the game on a P4 1.7 with 256 RD, GF3 and it was lagging like I said, and on my AXP 1600 with Ti200 clocked at near GF3 speeds, still lagging at these moments!
Sounds like a driver bug if you ask me.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

eden

Champion
Not when you have 2 totally different systems and one with old Asus GF3 12.10 drivers and one with the Det XP with WinXP and a GF3 Ti200!

--

G

Does anyone have any more information about the new G4 performance specs? Spending money on a TI500 right now feels inappropriate since the high price is only because it's the fastest (and it's reputation). When the new G4 comes out, the price may go down as much as $100 within weeks of the new G4s. That means that it really makes sense to wait like 6 weeks to buy a card!

This is horrible. I need to buy a card now or my brand new 17" LCD monitor gets unused for 6 weeks, but spending money now is a big mistake. Grrrr!

Oh, btw, Everquest can bring any graphics card out now to it's knees with all options on. It's a FPS with a huge amount of textures utilized as well as T&L. I suppose it could still be tweeking they need to do since it requires the new DirectX 8.1, but while everything looks STUNNING, I still get slowdowns with my Gainward Geforce 3; Athlon XP 1900+; 7ns 512 megs DDR SDRAM; IBM GXP hard disk; in certain situations. Additionally, I like to use Quintex as it really makes a difference.....which makes it drop down to more than it's knees.....I NEED MORE POWER!

Sorry, calming back down.....

Ron<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by computerboy on 02/01/02 02:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
That's Quincunx btw.
We all make mistakes on that weird name.
Cards do need to push further however. They need to be pushed over 50% more power per new one to really set the future ready for max settings and AA.

--