Ad-hoc network help.

Just trying to setup a very simple pc to laptop wifi network. Both
computers are Win XP Pro and with latest updates. The desktop has a
Sitecom 802.11b 11M PCI Card, and is protected by NAV2004 and McAfee
firewall. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro with in-built Toshiba
802.11b mini Wifi card. I have tried every conceivable variation of
the ad-hoc setup but to no avail. Both are configured with same
channel number, same SSID, static IP's with subnet 255,255,255,0. Have
even uninstalled Norton and McAfee to see if they cause problems. Yet
neither will see each other. I have even bought a USB Surecom 11M wifi
dongle to try to establish if either card has a fault, but even with
the dongle installed on each machine in turn, there is no visible
network. CAT5 LAN works fine. All I want is to be able to file share
between the two without having to rush to one room and plug a cable
in. If I can get Internet Access then that is a bonus. I would be
grateful if anyone can share some ideas on this problem. I have tried
the obvious and have no idea as where to go next.

Have you tried to PING one computer from the other? It is necessary to
solve low level problems before working your way up to file-sharing.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Ritchie" <vartegrich@aol.com> wrote in message
> Just trying to setup a very simple pc to laptop wifi network. Both
> computers are Win XP Pro and with latest updates. The desktop has a
> Sitecom 802.11b 11M PCI Card, and is protected by NAV2004 and McAfee
> firewall. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro with in-built Toshiba
> 802.11b mini Wifi card. I have tried every conceivable variation of
> the ad-hoc setup but to no avail. Both are configured with same
> channel number, same SSID, static IP's with subnet 255,255,255,0. Have
> even uninstalled Norton and McAfee to see if they cause problems. Yet
> neither will see each other. I have even bought a USB Surecom 11M wifi
> dongle to try to establish if either card has a fault, but even with
> the dongle installed on each machine in turn, there is no visible
> network. CAT5 LAN works fine. All I want is to be able to file share
> between the two without having to rush to one room and plug a cable
> in. If I can get Internet Access then that is a bonus. I would be
> grateful if anyone can share some ideas on this problem. I have tried
> the obvious and have no idea as where to go next.

TRENDING THREADS