Can't back up on back up wizard

I am trying to back up my docs and system when I do on either the wizard or
the advanced mode-it still tells me "the back up file name could not be used:
"E\backup.bkf" " please ensure that it is a valid path and the you have
sufficent access." Please Help. I searched everywhere for help and nothing
I have found has.

If E is a CD drive...

ntbackup.exe does not allow backing up directly to CD.

From X:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP\README.TXT

[[NTBackup Backup/Restore and ASR release notes
2. Backup to CDRW

If you decide to backup to a CDRW, you cannot target that device directly.
You must create a backup set of 650MB or less and backup to a file. After
the file is complete, copy the file to the CDRW.]]

Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255

How do I backup my files and folders in XP?
http://www.winxptutor.com/ntbackup.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:EB722C6E-FCB3-4BA8-965C-67AEC0BFDA88@microsoft.com,
Rhonda <Rhonda@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I am trying to back up my docs and system when I do on either the wizard
> or the advanced mode-it still tells me "the back up file name could not
> be used: "E\backup.bkf" " please ensure that it is a valid path and the
> you have sufficent access." Please Help. I searched everywhere for
> help and nothing I have found has.

Andrew

"Rhonda" <Rhonda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to back up my docs and system when I do on either the wizard or
> the advanced mode-it still tells me "the back up file name could not be
> used:
> "E\backup.bkf" " please ensure that it is a valid path and the you have
> sufficent access." Please Help. I searched everywhere for help and
> nothing
> I have found has.

Are you logged in as administrator? Have you tried a different file name
(try without typing the file extension - leave that to the software to
assign). What about the drive - do you have an E: drive if so what is it
CD, Hard Drive, DVD, memory stick?

Andy

I am the administrator and I did let the system pick the file name, but I did
realize I had the wrong drive letter but it still does't work. It still has
the same message with different drive letter. It is a floppy disk. I also
have tried troubleshooting it and can't figure it out. I tried to just send
the my doc file directly to the floppy and it is a brand new disc and my comp
says it can't be formated.

"Andrew" wrote:

> "Rhonda" <Rhonda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to back up my docs and system when I do on either the wizard or
> > the advanced mode-it still tells me "the back up file name could not be
> > used:
> > "E\backup.bkf" " please ensure that it is a valid path and the you have
> > sufficent access." Please Help. I searched everywhere for help and
> > nothing
> > I have found has.
>
> Are you logged in as administrator? Have you tried a different file name
> (try without typing the file extension - leave that to the software to
> assign). What about the drive - do you have an E: drive if so what is it
> CD, Hard Drive, DVD, memory stick?
>
> Andy

TRENDING THREADS