USB external drive not recognized

September 1, 2005 5:18:24 PM

I have a Sabrent SBT-EKU25 external enclosure with a 2.5 inch
hard disk in it. This is a USB 2.0 drive and whenever I connect it
to USB 2.0 port, it is not recognized (or "recognized" as an
"unknown device") on all my machines. It however is recognized
as a drive and works fine on one laptop which has only USB 1.1 ports.
I have tried separately powered USB hubs as well without success.
So I don't think it's a power issue. I have even tried deleting all
USB devices in Device Manager and let the machine rediscover
them. Still no go. Is there any solution to this problem?

H. Nakanishi
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 7:55:03 PM

Have you installed any XP specific drivers for your device with 'Add
Hardware' on all your machines? WinXP might not have drivers for your
specific device or the 'generic' drivers might not work. Are you using the
"same" cable you used with the laptop and to connect the other computers?
--
Mr. Sparky Watts

"Hisao Nakanishi" wrote:

> I have a Sabrent SBT-EKU25 external enclosure with a 2.5 inch
> hard disk in it. This is a USB 2.0 drive and whenever I connect it
> to USB 2.0 port, it is not recognized (or "recognized" as an
> "unknown device") on all my machines. It however is recognized
> as a drive and works fine on one laptop which has only USB 1.1 ports.
> I have tried separately powered USB hubs as well without success.
> So I don't think it's a power issue. I have even tried deleting all
> USB devices in Device Manager and let the machine rediscover
> them. Still no go. Is there any solution to this problem?
>
> H. Nakanishi

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 2:18:54 PM

There are no drivers and none special is needed for a USB drive in XP.
All necessary drivers are already in the system. The problem is that XP
does not recognize the type of device correctly and does not load the
usb mass storage driver that is already there. It is frustrating that you
cannot
specify a driver that the system thinks is not appropriate for the device
whatever you try (including trying to use Add Hardware).

H. Nakanishi

!