nVidia Geforce MX400

G

I bought an nVidia Geforce MX400 64MB AGP card for my PC. The website I purchased it from said one system requirement was a Pentium II processor. When I got the card, the installation guide says it should be a Pentiumm II 300Mhz processor and I only have a 266Mhz Pentium II!! Does anyone know if the card will work at all or should I send it back and buy a different one? I was on the nVidia site and it was one of the cards they recommended through a peformance analysis. Any help would be appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It will work fine. Even though it will work fine, I suggest you overclock your 266 to 300 just because it will make your computer more enjoyable to use.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Thanks for the response. I'm pretty new to upgrading my PC. I've added memory and now I'll upgrade the video card. Is overclocking something I should attempt and if so could you direct me to some info or link on how to accomplish it (overclocking that is). Thanks again.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most later PII CPU's were multiplier locked (you couldn't change the multiple of the bus speed that the processor ran at). But YOURS IS PROBABLY NOT LOCKED, so you have a few more options than those of us with newer equipement!

Your CPU is set at a 4x multiplier, meaning you processor runs 4x the bus speed, or 4x66. Depending on your board, the best solution would be to drop the multiplier to 3x and raise the bus speed to 100MHz, as long as you have PC100 memory or better.
Otherwise, you can simply change your multiplier to 4.5x to make it 300MHz.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?