Restoring Backup With Missing Tape?

Hi,

My PC crashed a few days ago, I've managed to get the OS backup, but now I
want to restore all of my data that I had backed up. The trouble is that the
backup was across 4 days, but the last tape is corrupt, and it won't let me
restore the other 3 tapes with out it. I'm pretty sure that this tape only
has a small amout of data on, and most stuff is on the 1st 3.
Is there anyway I can restore the data just from these 3 tapes? Either using
ntbackup, or I have backup exec desktop 4.5

Any help grately appreciated!

Ben
3 answers Last reply
More about restoring backup missing tape

    On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 18:39:58 GMT, "Ben" <bjblackmore@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >My PC crashed a few days ago, I've managed to get the OS backup, but now I
    >want to restore all of my data that I had backed up. The trouble is that the
    >backup was across 4 days, but the last tape is corrupt, and it won't let me
    >restore the other 3 tapes with out it. I'm pretty sure that this tape only
    >has a small amout of data on, and most stuff is on the 1st 3.
    >Is there anyway I can restore the data just from these 3 tapes? Either using
    >ntbackup, or I have backup exec desktop 4.5
    >
    >Any help grately appreciated!
    >
    >Ben

    I'd suggest you call technical support for the manufacturer of that
    particular tape drive. They may have a service to copy that data on
    those tapes for you ... for a fee of course.

    But I'd guess you're screwed and glued with the last tape issue. It's
    the same issue with a backup on multiple diskettes and CDs.

    Good luck.

    The last thing that is written to a backup, whether it be on another hard
    drive, CD/DVD disks or tape, is an index of what has been done. If this
    index becomes corrupted, for any reason, you can not restore from that
    medium. That is why it is necessary, especially when using removable media,
    to have the backup verified. Yes, it takes a greater amount of time, but you
    are certain that the media can be read correctly - at least at the time the
    verification was performed.

    Subsequent media damage can obsolete the results of the verification
    process.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My PC crashed a few days ago, I've managed to get the OS
    > backup, but now I
    > want to restore all of my data that I had backed up. The
    > trouble is that the
    > backup was across 4 days, but the last tape is corrupt, and it
    > won't let me
    > restore the other 3 tapes with out it. I'm pretty sure that
    > this tape only
    > has a small amout of data on, and most stuff is on the 1st 3.
    > Is there anyway I can restore the data just from these 3
    > tapes? Either using
    > ntbackup, or I have backup exec desktop 4.5
    >
    > Any help grately appreciated!
    >
    > Ben

    From a tape you say... I would recomend looking toward data recovary
    companys, and for futre refence keep tapes an a dryish atmospher and
    WELL away from any high powered electronics OR magnets, and
    realisticly speaking should be kept in a fire proof box incase of
    fire.

    If you google for tape data recovary (
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Tape+data+recovery&spell=1 )
    you should find a bunch of companys that can restor your data, remerb
    shop around, look for a optimum between price, speed and type of
    service.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Restoring-Backup-Missing-Tape-ftopict416274.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1387756

Support Backup Microsoft Windows XP Product