Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

My PC crashed a few days ago, I've managed to get the OS backup, but now I
want to restore all of my data that I had backed up. The trouble is that the
backup was across 4 days, but the last tape is corrupt, and it won't let me
restore the other 3 tapes with out it. I'm pretty sure that this tape only
has a small amout of data on, and most stuff is on the 1st 3.
Is there anyway I can restore the data just from these 3 tapes? Either using
ntbackup, or I have backup exec desktop 4.5

Any help grately appreciated!

Ben

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 18:39:58 GMT, "Ben" <bjblackmore@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My PC crashed a few days ago, I've managed to get the OS backup, but now I
>want to restore all of my data that I had backed up. The trouble is that the
>backup was across 4 days, but the last tape is corrupt, and it won't let me
>restore the other 3 tapes with out it. I'm pretty sure that this tape only
>has a small amout of data on, and most stuff is on the 1st 3.
>Is there anyway I can restore the data just from these 3 tapes? Either using
>ntbackup, or I have backup exec desktop 4.5
>
>Any help grately appreciated!
>
>Ben

I'd suggest you call technical support for the manufacturer of that
particular tape drive. They may have a service to copy that data on
those tapes for you ... for a fee of course.

But I'd guess you're screwed and glued with the last tape issue. It's
the same issue with a backup on multiple diskettes and CDs.

Good luck.

The last thing that is written to a backup, whether it be on another hard
drive, CD/DVD disks or tape, is an index of what has been done. If this
index becomes corrupted, for any reason, you can not restore from that
medium. That is why it is necessary, especially when using removable media,
to have the backup verified. Yes, it takes a greater amount of time, but you
are certain that the media can be read correctly - at least at the time the
verification was performed.

Subsequent media damage can obsolete the results of the verification
process.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Ben" <bjblackmore@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My PC crashed a few days ago, I've managed to get the OS backup, but now I
> want to restore all of my data that I had backed up. The trouble is that
> the
> backup was across 4 days, but the last tape is corrupt, and it won't let
> me
> restore the other 3 tapes with out it. I'm pretty sure that this tape only
> has a small amout of data on, and most stuff is on the 1st 3.
> Is there anyway I can restore the data just from these 3 tapes? Either
> using
> ntbackup, or I have backup exec desktop 4.5
>
> Any help grately appreciated!
>
> Ben

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My PC crashed a few days ago, I've managed to get the OS
> backup, but now I
> want to restore all of my data that I had backed up. The
> trouble is that the
> backup was across 4 days, but the last tape is corrupt, and it
> won't let me
> restore the other 3 tapes with out it. I'm pretty sure that
> this tape only
> has a small amout of data on, and most stuff is on the 1st 3.
> Is there anyway I can restore the data just from these 3
> tapes? Either using
> ntbackup, or I have backup exec desktop 4.5
>
> Any help grately appreciated!
>
> Ben

From a tape you say... I would recomend looking toward data recovary
companys, and for futre refence keep tapes an a dryish atmospher and
WELL away from any high powered electronics OR magnets, and
realisticly speaking should be kept in a fire proof box incase of
fire.

If you google for tape data recovary (
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Tape+data+recovery&spell=1 )
you should find a bunch of companys that can restor your data, remerb
shop around, look for a optimum between price, speed and type of
service.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Restoring-Backup-Missing-Tape-ftopict416274.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1387756