Dell support nightmare help needed

I am an independent computer technician.

A Dell customer who bought his daughter a Dimension 4700 on 12/6/04,
with service tag 9kr3761, Dell issue number 103961017.

The machine has been kept very clean with entirely stock Dell-branded
hardware and original software.

The customer asked me to solve a problem that the machine was
beginning to have trouble in reading some CDs and in writing CD-Rs.

Since he is under Dell "next business day" warranty, I first went to
Dell chat.

After about an hour of chat, the Dell suggested modifying the registry
and upgrading the Combo drive firmware.

This I did. The Combo drive seemed now to recognize CD's that it was
only recalibrating on before.

Unfortunately I was unable to test even more because now the Dell
wireless keyboard and mouse stopped working.

After another hour of chat -- five minutes or more lag between
interactions -- the Dell tech suggested upgrading the Bios. This I
did.

Now the system fails to boot with a Diskette not found error.

This is of course true since the system was not configured with one.

Getting into the bios to check and change values is impossible since
both the wireless keyboard and mouse do not work nor do dedicated
wired mouse and keyboard work. (The diagnostics leds are all green.)

After a further hour of Dell troubleshooting the technician admitted
his database regarding the system was down. I asked for a box and
a RMA number to ship the machine to Dell. The tech said I needed
further troubleshooting and to ship me a motherboard for installation
by the owner.

Finally, after a fourth hour of chat where once again the tech
said that he could not reach the Dell config database he says that
more toubleshooting is necessary. My request for a box and an RMA
number was ignored.

How many hours of fruitless troubleshooting should I do and what
should I do now? The client would not be able to put in a motherboard
and he cannot afford my help interminably.

If this is the best warranty that Dell has, and it is proving
worthless or Dell is purposfuly making the troubleshooting painfully
slow to discourage warranty expense, should I just recommend the
customer sue in small-claims for damages under our long-arm law?

Needless to say, this customer's experience has shown me that I
should not personally buy more of the dozen Dell systems I have bought
over the years. How do you guys take this and what should I do?
36 answers Last reply
More about dell support nightmare needed

    I've read the handful of replies to your post. As the problem with the
    optical drive did not seem to appear suddenly, indicating a sudden hardware
    failure, I would have been hesitant to do any fooling around in the
    registry. Same goes for messing with the firmware. I would be looking in
    Device Manager for any indications of problems. I know of drives that have
    never had a firmware upgrade, are years old, and are operating perfectly to
    this day. I would have tried removing the device drivers in Device Manager
    and rebooting the machine, allowing Windows to find the drivers and
    reinstall them from scratch.

    As to your problem with Dell Chat I can only say that I would have picked up
    the phone and called Dell Technical Support. The machine is under warranty.
    I would give them one hour to fix the drive and then I would insist on an
    RMA and send the unit to Dell for warranty repair. Which is what the owner
    of the system should have done. Why did the owner enlist your services, for
    which he would be charged, when he could just call Dell and send the machine
    in for work?

    "Wit held by request" <zero@zero.com> wrote in message
    >I am an independent computer technician.
    >
    > A Dell customer who bought his daughter a Dimension 4700 on 12/6/04,
    > with service tag 9kr3761, Dell issue number 103961017.
    >
    > The machine has been kept very clean with entirely stock Dell-branded
    > hardware and original software.
    >
    > The customer asked me to solve a problem that the machine was
    > beginning to have trouble in reading some CDs and in writing CD-Rs.
    >
    > Since he is under Dell "next business day" warranty, I first went to
    > Dell chat.
    >
    > After about an hour of chat, the Dell suggested modifying the registry
    > and upgrading the Combo drive firmware.
    >
    > This I did. The Combo drive seemed now to recognize CD's that it was
    > only recalibrating on before.
    >
    > Unfortunately I was unable to test even more because now the Dell
    > wireless keyboard and mouse stopped working.
    >
    > After another hour of chat -- five minutes or more lag between
    > interactions -- the Dell tech suggested upgrading the Bios. This I
    > did.
    >
    > Now the system fails to boot with a Diskette not found error.
    >
    > This is of course true since the system was not configured with one.
    >
    > Getting into the bios to check and change values is impossible since
    > both the wireless keyboard and mouse do not work nor do dedicated
    > wired mouse and keyboard work. (The diagnostics leds are all green.)
    >
    > After a further hour of Dell troubleshooting the technician admitted
    > his database regarding the system was down. I asked for a box and
    > a RMA number to ship the machine to Dell. The tech said I needed
    > further troubleshooting and to ship me a motherboard for installation
    > by the owner.
    >
    > Finally, after a fourth hour of chat where once again the tech
    > said that he could not reach the Dell config database he says that
    > more toubleshooting is necessary. My request for a box and an RMA
    > number was ignored.
    >
    > How many hours of fruitless troubleshooting should I do and what
    > should I do now? The client would not be able to put in a motherboard
    > and he cannot afford my help interminably.
    >
    > If this is the best warranty that Dell has, and it is proving
    > worthless or Dell is purposfuly making the troubleshooting painfully
    > slow to discourage warranty expense, should I just recommend the
    > customer sue in small-claims for damages under our long-arm law?
    >
    > Needless to say, this customer's experience has shown me that I
    > should not personally buy more of the dozen Dell systems I have bought
    > over the years. How do you guys take this and what should I do?

    Ok I will bite but it seems like a troll as I checked Dell's web site
    and they have no record of any support calls at all?

    This link may not work as I do have a premier account with Dell
    http://support.dell.com/support/supporthistory/search.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=
    en&s=dhs

    The warranty on this computer near as I can tell has next day on-site
    support so they will send out a technician to install the motherboard.
    When I had a hard drive fail, Dell offered to send out a technician to
    install the drive!

    I feel you should have escalated the problem and asked for a supervisor.

    Wayne

    Wit held by request wrote:

    > I am an independent computer technician.
    >
    > A Dell customer who bought his daughter a Dimension 4700 on 12/6/04,
    > with service tag 9kr3761, Dell issue number 103961017.
    >
    > The machine has been kept very clean with entirely stock Dell-branded
    > hardware and original software.
    >
    > The customer asked me to solve a problem that the machine was
    > beginning to have trouble in reading some CDs and in writing CD-Rs.
    >
    > Since he is under Dell "next business day" warranty, I first went to
    > Dell chat.
    >
    > After about an hour of chat, the Dell suggested modifying the registry
    > and upgrading the Combo drive firmware.
    >
    > This I did. The Combo drive seemed now to recognize CD's that it was
    > only recalibrating on before.
    >
    > Unfortunately I was unable to test even more because now the Dell
    > wireless keyboard and mouse stopped working.
    >
    > After another hour of chat -- five minutes or more lag between
    > interactions -- the Dell tech suggested upgrading the Bios. This I
    > did.
    >
    > Now the system fails to boot with a Diskette not found error.
    >
    > This is of course true since the system was not configured with one.
    >
    > Getting into the bios to check and change values is impossible since
    > both the wireless keyboard and mouse do not work nor do dedicated
    > wired mouse and keyboard work. (The diagnostics leds are all green.)
    >
    > After a further hour of Dell troubleshooting the technician admitted
    > his database regarding the system was down. I asked for a box and
    > a RMA number to ship the machine to Dell. The tech said I needed
    > further troubleshooting and to ship me a motherboard for installation
    > by the owner.
    >
    > Finally, after a fourth hour of chat where once again the tech
    > said that he could not reach the Dell config database he says that
    > more toubleshooting is necessary. My request for a box and an RMA
    > number was ignored.
    >
    > How many hours of fruitless troubleshooting should I do and what
    > should I do now? The client would not be able to put in a motherboard
    > and he cannot afford my help interminably.
    >
    > If this is the best warranty that Dell has, and it is proving
    > worthless or Dell is purposfuly making the troubleshooting painfully
    > slow to discourage warranty expense, should I just recommend the
    > customer sue in small-claims for damages under our long-arm law?
    >
    > Needless to say, this customer's experience has shown me that I
    > should not personally buy more of the dozen Dell systems I have bought
    > over the years. How do you guys take this and what should I do?

    I've had a problem with pc and cdr not working and it was related to too
    many different audio and burning software isntalled at the same time
    causing corruption and confusion. problem was solved when all were
    removed and just the one or two that were nec were reloaded from scratch.

    Wit held by request wrote:
    > I am an independent computer technician.
    >
    > A Dell customer who bought his daughter a Dimension 4700 on 12/6/04,
    > with service tag 9kr3761, Dell issue number 103961017.
    >
    > The machine has been kept very clean with entirely stock Dell-branded
    > hardware and original software.
    >
    > The customer asked me to solve a problem that the machine was
    > beginning to have trouble in reading some CDs and in writing CD-Rs.
    >
    > Since he is under Dell "next business day" warranty, I first went to
    > Dell chat.
    >
    > After about an hour of chat, the Dell suggested modifying the registry
    > and upgrading the Combo drive firmware.
    >
    > This I did. The Combo drive seemed now to recognize CD's that it was
    > only recalibrating on before.
    >
    > Unfortunately I was unable to test even more because now the Dell
    > wireless keyboard and mouse stopped working.
    >
    > After another hour of chat -- five minutes or more lag between
    > interactions -- the Dell tech suggested upgrading the Bios. This I
    > did.
    >
    > Now the system fails to boot with a Diskette not found error.
    >
    > This is of course true since the system was not configured with one.
    >
    > Getting into the bios to check and change values is impossible since
    > both the wireless keyboard and mouse do not work nor do dedicated
    > wired mouse and keyboard work. (The diagnostics leds are all green.)
    >
    > After a further hour of Dell troubleshooting the technician admitted
    > his database regarding the system was down. I asked for a box and
    > a RMA number to ship the machine to Dell. The tech said I needed
    > further troubleshooting and to ship me a motherboard for installation
    > by the owner.
    >
    > Finally, after a fourth hour of chat where once again the tech
    > said that he could not reach the Dell config database he says that
    > more toubleshooting is necessary. My request for a box and an RMA
    > number was ignored.
    >
    > How many hours of fruitless troubleshooting should I do and what
    > should I do now? The client would not be able to put in a motherboard
    > and he cannot afford my help interminably.
    >
    > If this is the best warranty that Dell has, and it is proving
    > worthless or Dell is purposfuly making the troubleshooting painfully
    > slow to discourage warranty expense, should I just recommend the
    > customer sue in small-claims for damages under our long-arm law?
    >
    > Needless to say, this customer's experience has shown me that I
    > should not personally buy more of the dozen Dell systems I have bought
    > over the years. How do you guys take this and what should I do?

    Plug in a non-wireless keyboard and mouse, reset the BIOS to ignore the floppy
    diskette, and see what happens then. Also, check the BIOS settings for keyboard
    and mouse while you're at it.

    I am mildly surprised that you had not tried non-wireless keyboard and mouse
    previously... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 00:07:12 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
    (Ben Myers) wrote:

    >Plug in a non-wireless keyboard and mouse, reset the BIOS to ignore the floppy
    >diskette, and see what happens then. Also, check the BIOS settings for keyboard
    >and mouse while you're at it.
    >
    >I am mildly surprised that you had not tried non-wireless keyboard and mouse
    >previously... Ben Myers

    I did. I brought in a known good ps2 mouse and keyboard, but it also
    did not work.

    > I am mildly surprised that you had not tried non-wireless keyboard and
    > mouse
    > previously... Ben Myers

    Ben, read more closely:

    >Getting into the bios to check and change values is impossible since
    >both the wireless keyboard and mouse do not work nor do dedicated

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >wired mouse and keyboard work. (The diagnostics leds are all green.)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    I would suggest clearing the CMOS with the PS/2 (dedicated) mouse and
    keyboard connected, and let the system re-detect its devices and setup its
    resources. Perhaps then the machine will be able to boot.

    - NuTs

    <snip>

    > I am mildly surprised that you had not tried non-wireless keyboard and
    > mouse
    > previously... Ben Myers

    One would think that goes w/o saying, but apparently it does not.

    Stew

    Always easier to blame it all on big bad Dell.

    Ted Zieglar

    > <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> I am mildly surprised that you had not tried non-wireless keyboard and
    >> mouse
    >> previously... Ben Myers
    >>

    > One would think that goes w/o saying, but apparently it does not.
    >

    > Stew

    Didn't bother reading the original post very well huh?

    1. He DID try a directly connected mouse and keyboard.

    2. Dell tech support took a mildly annoying problem (CD issue) and then
    turned it into an issue that rendered the entire system unuseable.

    3. And after many hours of "troubleshooting" (more like "troublemaking"!)
    they want to continue. Maybe they think they can make the entire system
    explode and thus eliminate their responsibility to fix it?

    > Always easier to blame it all on big bad Dell.
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > >> I am mildly surprised that you had not tried non-wireless keyboard and
    > >> mouse
    > >> previously... Ben Myers
    > >>

    > > One would think that goes w/o saying, but apparently it does not.
    > >

    > > Stew

    The CD firmware update fixed the original problem. There seem to be a lot
    of CD firmware updates around.

    And people who don't know computers will often enlist the help of those that
    do. Would the average user know anything about firmware updates? BIOS
    flashing? BIOS settings?

    And I'm not sure getting on an endless phone call would have been any better
    in this case. Probably more frustrating as the OE tried to figure out what
    they were sayng, which is usually easier via the written word.

    "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > >
    > > Finally, after a fourth hour of chat where once again the tech
    > > said that he could not reach the Dell config database he says that
    > > more toubleshooting is necessary. My request for a box and an RMA
    > > number was ignored.
    > >
    > > How many hours of fruitless troubleshooting should I do and what
    > > should I do now? The client would not be able to put in a motherboard
    > > and he cannot afford my help interminably.
    > >
    > > If this is the best warranty that Dell has, and it is proving
    > > worthless or Dell is purposfuly making the troubleshooting painfully
    > > slow to discourage warranty expense, should I just recommend the
    > > customer sue in small-claims for damages under our long-arm law?
    > >
    > > Needless to say, this customer's experience has shown me that I
    > > should not personally buy more of the dozen Dell systems I have bought
    > > over the years. How do you guys take this and what should I do?

    Oops! Missed that part about the wired keyboard and mouse.

    Unplug the computer, open up the chassis, remove the C2032 battery, let computer
    sit for a couple of hours, insert battery and power up. This should give a
    corrupt CMOS status and enable you to get into the BIOS setup. You can
    generally provoke an entry onto the BIOS setup by mindlessly holding down a
    number of keys on the keyboard when powering up the computer, causing a keyboard
    error. Usually a simple F2 does it with Dell.

    Do the WIRED keyboard lights blink when the system is first powered up? If not,
    then consider the motherboard hosed, with a burned out keyboard port, and
    request another from Dell.

    If you do request any parts from Dell, make doubly sure (NO! tripley sure!)
    that the Dell service tech gets your "ship to" address right. The Dell support
    people who do not speak English as a first language do not do very well on
    addresses, and I've had parts held up getting here... Ben Myers

    "snert" <snert@bowwow.com> wrote in message news:zx3xe.2138$394.1013@fe07.lga...

    > And I'm not sure getting on an endless phone call would have been any better
    > in this case. Probably more frustrating as the OE tried to figure out what
    > they were sayng, which is usually easier via the written word.

    Just to chime in on the subject of chat support. I had reason to give it
    a go recently. On the plus side, I was connected to a tech very quickly
    and there was no spoken language barrier. However, I too would have
    to say that it was a time consuming ordeal. Based on the time it took
    the tech to respond to my comments, and the fact that at one point she
    posted instructions for a course of action that was totally irrelevant to
    my issue, I assume that she was handling multiple chats in parallel. The
    lag, if you will, was compounded by the fact that she wanted to provide
    individual, step by step instructions. So, rather than "open Device
    Manager" it was "Click the Start Button", wait for me to respond that
    I did so, "Click Settings", wait for me to respond that I did so, "click
    Control Panel", wait for me to respond that I did so... that sort of thing.
    Although I did convince her to dispense with such step by steps, she
    then resorted to what, based on the words/phrases used, were manually
    typed summaries of the operations to be performed. Obviously, some
    kind of easily triggered script that dumps a block of instructions would
    be more efficient. But whatever. We proceeded several steps into a
    scripted debug session (rather than one that cut to the heart of the
    matter) and then I lost connectivity with the site. Which was probably
    a blessing, for I suspect we would have been at it a very long time and
    I'm not sure I would have had the patience.

    I can't condemn Dell chat support based on just one sample, but I
    would be very hesitant to use it in the future, at least for any issue
    where I think they might walk me through numerous diagnostic
    steps. The latter has the potential to be excruciatingly painful.

    > On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 00:07:12 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
    > (Ben Myers) wrote:
    >
    >>Plug in a non-wireless keyboard and mouse, reset the BIOS to ignore the
    >>floppy
    >>diskette, and see what happens then. Also, check the BIOS settings for
    >>keyboard
    >>and mouse while you're at it.
    >>
    >>I am mildly surprised that you had not tried non-wireless keyboard and
    >>mouse
    >>previously... Ben Myers
    >
    > I did. I brought in a known good ps2 mouse and keyboard, but it also
    > did not work.

    If you can't get either a PS2 or USB wired mouse/keyboard to function to the
    point of entering BIOS (or even showing Numlock or other enabled LEDs on the
    kb), then you're done.

    Time for them to bring a new board once you've tried both and are satisfied
    you're locked out.

    Stew

    "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    >[chat is] a time consuming ordeal. Based on the time it took
    >the tech to respond to my comments, and the fact that at one point she
    >posted instructions for a course of action that was totally irrelevant to
    >my issue, I assume that she was handling multiple chats in parallel.

    While it's not unique to Dell, this is the reason I'll never use
    online chat "support". In every case that I've tried it in
    desperation "Your call is very important to us, and your average hold
    time is 5 proton decays" it's clear that they are running multiple
    problems in parallel, and wasting your time to make the most efficient
    use of their time.

    IMNSHO, and IMNSLE, Email tech support is the worst (a "script monkey"
    with hour-long delays), chat support is next (multitasking script
    monkey with minute-long delays), and direct phone calls are only
    "best" by virtue of not being worst (script monkey in real-time, using
    VOIP). Actually, if you win the "boy am I lost" lottery and get
    bumped up to second level tech support, you can usually find someone
    who has some personal troubleshooting experience and who will be happy
    to dispense with the inanities ("I don't care what the weather is
    where you are, or how many children you have, or how you are feeling,
    please open the Device Manager and let's get on with solving your
    problem.")

    I'd like to think that email tech support would be better, but I
    invariably find that they are in a different universe ("I'm having
    trouble with my DVD drive, as it won't read any movies, though it does
    OK on DVD-Roms" -> "I understand that you are having trouble playing
    movies, you need to install Dell Support 3.14 so that we can determine
    if your video drivers need updating."), or end up referring me to a
    mandatory phone tech support call in order to ship out a replacement
    part.

    At least with phone support you can hang up when you realize that you
    aren't communicating.

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:52:57 -0700, Wit held by request
    <zero@zero.com> wrote:

    Thank you all for your helpful advice!
    I finally came to the right place.

    Wit held

    "Wit held by request" <zero@zero.com> wrote in message
    >I am an independent computer technician.

    Suprising info after reading the rest of your post.

    > A Dell customer who bought his daughter a Dimension 4700 on 12/6/04,
    > with service tag 9kr3761, Dell issue number 103961017.
    >
    > The machine has been kept very clean with entirely stock Dell-branded
    > hardware and original software.
    >
    > The customer asked me to solve a problem that the machine was
    > beginning to have trouble in reading some CDs and in writing CD-Rs.
    >
    > Since he is under Dell "next business day" warranty, I first went to
    > Dell chat.

    Then why is he bringing it to you and even better, why are you attempting to
    service it.
    Would it not have made more sense to inform the customer that you are not an
    authorized Dell support center and refer them to contact Dell?

    > After about an hour of chat, the Dell suggested modifying the registry
    > and upgrading the Combo drive firmware.
    >
    > This I did. The Combo drive seemed now to recognize CD's that it was
    > only recalibrating on before.

    This is good, he/she did their job.

    > Unfortunately I was unable to test even more because now the Dell
    > wireless keyboard and mouse stopped working.

    If the keyboard and mouse stopped working, how were you able to determine
    the drive was recognizing the CD?
    Were you able to view the drives directory?

    > After another hour of chat -- five minutes or more lag between
    > interactions -- the Dell tech suggested upgrading the Bios. This I
    > did.
    >
    > Now the system fails to boot with a Diskette not found error.
    >
    > This is of course true since the system was not configured with one.

    And as an independent computer technician, you are unaware of what steps to
    take to get around this?
    Perhaps presssing F2 during boot to enter BIOS setup and checking Boot Drive
    sequence settings...or connecting a floppy drive and using an emergency boot
    disk to boot. Hmm, how about a BIOS reset with jumper/battery (something
    that is common after any BIOS update).

    > Getting into the bios to check and change values is impossible since
    > both the wireless keyboard and mouse do not work nor do dedicated
    > wired mouse and keyboard work. (The diagnostics leds are all green.)

    How about attaching a standard (wired PS2) mouse and keyboard?

    > After a further hour of Dell troubleshooting the technician admitted
    > his database regarding the system was down. I asked for a box and
    > a RMA number to ship the machine to Dell. The tech said I needed
    > further troubleshooting and to ship me a motherboard for installation
    > by the owner.

    My understanding is they send you (or a tech) the parts for on-site install.
    So his not wanting to send you a box and RMA number would make sense.

    > Finally, after a fourth hour of chat where once again the tech
    > said that he could not reach the Dell config database he says that
    > more toubleshooting is necessary. My request for a box and an RMA
    > number was ignored.

    See above. It was not "ignored", it is simply not how they do it.

    > How many hours of fruitless troubleshooting should I do and what
    > should I do now? The client would not be able to put in a motherboard
    > and he cannot afford my help interminably.

    Why is he paying for your help to begin with? You yourself have said he is
    inder warranty.
    Why is he not contacting Dell to setup service with a qualified technician?
    How many hours will it take him (and you) to realize you are not the guy for
    the job?

    > If this is the best warranty that Dell has, and it is proving
    > worthless or Dell is purposfuly making the troubleshooting painfully
    > slow to discourage warranty expense, should I just recommend the
    > customer sue in small-claims for damages under our long-arm law?

    I would recommend he contact Dell support and request service under the
    warranty you have said he has.
    A very good warranty in my experience. Had a power supply fail and after
    about 20 minutes in chat explaining to their rep what the symptoms were and
    what troubleshooting I had done ( I am also a PC Tech), he responded that he
    would replace both Power Supply and Motherboard. He then asked if I would
    like a tech to install or felt I could do it myself. Agreed to do it myself.
    He confirmed my address for shipment. This was at 7PM this past Saturday
    night. At about 1PM Tuesday a local Dell tech dropped the parts at my home
    as they had been shipped to them by mistake. Other than the goof on
    shipping, not bad in my book. New part is in (motherboard was not needed)
    and old parts on their way back to Dell with prepaid label they provided in
    box.

    > Needless to say, this customer's experience has shown me that I
    > should not personally buy more of the dozen Dell systems I have bought
    > over the years. How do you guys take this and what should I do?

    I say at this point the customers bad experience has not been with Dell.
    You are a technician, own a dozen dells yourself, and are not familiar with
    how to troubleshoot a CDR Drive issue.
    I take this as you are trolling or need to find a new line of work.

    On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:47:19 -0400, "PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote:

    >"Wit held by request" <zero@zero.com> wrote in message
    >>I am an independent computer technician.
    >>

    >Suprising info after reading the rest of your post.
    >
    >> A Dell customer who bought his daughter a Dimension 4700 on 12/6/04,
    >> with service tag 9kr3761, Dell issue number 103961017.
    >>
    >> The machine has been kept very clean with entirely stock Dell-branded
    >> hardware and original software.
    >>
    >> The customer asked me to solve a problem that the machine was
    >> beginning to have trouble in reading some CDs and in writing CD-Rs.
    >>
    >> Since he is under Dell "next business day" warranty, I first went to
    >> Dell chat.
    >>

    >Then why is he bringing it to you and even better, why are you attempting to
    >service it.
    >Would it not have made more sense to inform the customer that you are not an
    >authorized Dell support center and refer them to contact Dell?

    >If the keyboard and mouse stopped working, how were you able to determine
    >the drive was recognizing the CD?
    >Were you able to view the drives directory?

    I was able to get some information from the drive without the keyboard
    and mouse by simple inserting a CD in the drive that was previously
    not recognized. This time it was recognized.

    >> After another hour of chat -- five minutes or more lag between
    >> interactions -- the Dell tech suggested upgrading the Bios. This I
    >> did.
    >>
    >> Now the system fails to boot with a Diskette not found error.
    >>
    >> This is of course true since the system was not configured with one.
    >>

    >And as an independent computer technician, you are unaware of what steps to
    >take to get around this?
    >Perhaps presssing F2 during boot to enter BIOS setup and checking Boot Drive

    This was done

    >sequence settings...or connecting a floppy drive and using an emergency boot
    >disk to boot. Hmm, how about a BIOS reset with jumper/battery (something
    >that is common after any BIOS update).

    Doing non-standard work when not explicitly authorized by Dell would
    really make me "own" the reaaiir and the resulting expense to the
    customer.

    >> Getting into the bios to check and change values is impossible since
    >> both the wireless keyboard and mouse do not work nor do dedicated
    >> wired mouse and keyboard work. (The diagnostics leds are all green.)
    >>

    >How about attaching a standard (wired PS2) mouse and keyboard?

    I did this. Pressed Del and / or F2 on boot, etc.

    >> After a further hour of Dell troubleshooting the technician admitted
    >> his database regarding the system was down. I asked for a box and
    >> a RMA number to ship the machine to Dell. The tech said I needed
    >> further troubleshooting and to ship me a motherboard for installation
    >> by the owner.
    >>

    >My understanding is they send you (or a tech) the parts for on-site install.
    >So his not wanting to send you a box and RMA number would make sense.
    >

    >> Finally, after a fourth hour of chat where once again the tech
    >> said that he could not reach the Dell config database he says that
    >> more toubleshooting is necessary. My request for a box and an RMA
    >> number was ignored.
    >>

    >See above. It was not "ignored", it is simply not how they do it.

    >> How many hours of fruitless troubleshooting should I do and what
    >> should I do now? The client would not be able to put in a motherboard
    >> and he cannot afford my help interminably.
    >>

    >Why is he paying for your help to begin with? You yourself have said he is
    >inder warranty.

    The customer felt that he needed an intermediary with Dell.
    I was glad to oblige, although I suggested that it would get
    expensive. Not much point in paying a substantial fraction of the
    cost of the system for maintenance that in theory is included
    in the original order.

    Isn't anyone, other than ;you, of course, who has problems with a computer
    a "troll" ? >g<

    /
    "wayne" <nope@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>
    >> Finally, after a fourth hour of chat where once again the tech
    >> said that he could not reach the Dell config database he says that
    >> more toubleshooting is necessary. My request for a box and an RMA
    >> number was ignored.
    >>
    >> How many hours of fruitless troubleshooting should I do and what
    >> should I do now? The client would not be able to put in a motherboard
    >> and he cannot afford my help interminably.
    >>
    >> If this is the best warranty that Dell has, and it is proving
    >> worthless or Dell is purposfuly making the troubleshooting painfully
    >> slow to discourage warranty expense, should I just recommend the
    >> customer sue in small-claims for damages under our long-arm law?
    >>
    >> Needless to say, this customer's experience has shown me that I
    >> should not personally buy more of the dozen Dell systems I have bought
    >> over the years. How do you guys take this and what should I do?

    Not sure if this is a ray of hope or not for PC Support Call Center
    Victims. Of late the companies that subcontract to provide this support
    from India are looking to hire North American and European Techs to help
    fill their shortages and deal with some of the language issues. Not sure of
    the wages or the competency that will be offered. Anyone feel like taking
    an out of town job, way out of town.

    KC

> [...]
    > >

    > >> Finally, after a fourth hour of chat where once again the tech
    > >> said that he could not reach the Dell config database he says that
    > >> more toubleshooting is necessary. My request for a box and an RMA
    > >> number was ignored.
    > >>

    > >See above. It was not "ignored", it is simply not how they do it.
    >

    > >> How many hours of fruitless troubleshooting should I do and what
    > >> should I do now? The client would not be able to put in a motherboard
    > >> and he cannot afford my help interminably.
    > >>

    > >Why is he paying for your help to begin with? You yourself have said he
    is
    > >inder warranty.
    >

    > The customer felt that he needed an intermediary with Dell.
    > I was glad to oblige, although I suggested that it would get
    > expensive. Not much point in paying a substantial fraction of the
    > cost of the system for maintenance that in theory is included

    Clearly, you are joking on me! I hear it is hotter than a cow on fire over
    there!!

    "Kevin Childers" <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Not sure if this is a ray of hope or not for PC Support Call Center
    > Victims. Of late the companies that subcontract to provide this support
    > from India are looking to hire North American and European Techs to help
    > fill their shortages and deal with some of the language issues. Not sure
    of
    > the wages or the competency that will be offered. Anyone feel like taking
    > an out of town job, way out of town.
    >
    > KC
    >

    > "Wit held by request" <zero@zero.com> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:47:19 -0400, "PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote:
    > >

    > > >"Wit held by request" <zero@zero.com> wrote in message
    > > >>

    > > >Suprising info after reading the rest of your post.

    > > >Then why is he bringing it to you and even better, why are you
    attempting
    > > >service it.
    > > >Would it not have made more sense to inform the customer that you are
    not
    > an
    > > >authorized Dell support center and refer them to contact Dell?
    > >

    > > >If the keyboard and mouse stopped working, how were you able to
    determine
    > > >the drive was recognizing the CD?
    > > >Were you able to view the drives directory?
    > >
    > > I was able to get some information from the drive without the keyboard
    > > and mouse by simple inserting a CD in the drive that was previously
    > > not recognized. This time it was recognized.

    > > >And as an independent computer technician, you are unaware of what
    steps
    > > >take to get around this?
    > > >Perhaps presssing F2 during boot to enter BIOS setup and checking Boot
    > Drive
    > >
    > > This was done
    > >
    > > >sequence settings...or connecting a floppy drive and using an emergency
    > boot
    > > >disk to boot. Hmm, how about a BIOS reset with jumper/battery
    (something
    > > >that is common after any BIOS update).
    > >
    > > Doing non-standard work when not explicitly authorized by Dell would
    > > really make me "own" the reaaiir and the resulting expense to the
    > > customer.

    > > >How about attaching a standard (wired PS2) mouse and keyboard?
    > >
    > > I did this. Pressed Del and / or F2 on boot, etc.

    > > >My understanding is they send you (or a tech) the parts for on-site
    > install.
    > > >So his not wanting to send you a box and RMA number would make sense.

    > > >See above. It was not "ignored", it is simply not how they do it.

    > > >Why is he paying for your help to begin with? You yourself have said he
    > is
    > > >inder warranty.
    > >

    > > The customer felt that he needed an intermediary with Dell.
    > > I was glad to oblige, although I suggested that it would get
    > > expensive. Not much point in paying a substantial fraction of the
    > > cost of the system for maintenance that in theory is included
    > > in the original order.

    No charge for all the abuse by some of the NG clowns...

    > On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:52:57 -0700, Wit held by request
    > <zero@zero.com> wrote:
    >

    > Thank you all for your helpful advice!
    > I finally came to the right place.
    >
    > Wit held

    I was just pointing out that since he had supplied us with the service
    tag a quick check showed no outstanding or completed service calls?

    Does that not seem odd to you? I have had my share of problems with
    Dell over the many years I have done business with them. i helped a
    fried who had a 5 month old SATA drive fail, the replacement failed
    after 2 hours. Just long enough for me to get XP reinstalled along
    with SP2. I was not happy but Dell did ship a 2nd drive with assurances
    that if that drive did fail they would replace the Mobo and power
    supply.

    Wayne

    Irene wrote:

> [...]
    > >> said that he could not reach the Dell config database he says that
    > >> more toubleshooting is necessary. My request for a box and an RMA
    > >> number was ignored.
    > > >
    > >> How many hours of fruitless troubleshooting should I do and what
    > >> should I do now? The client would not be able to put in a
    > motherboard >> and he cannot afford my help interminably.
    > > >
    > >> If this is the best warranty that Dell has, and it is proving
    > >> worthless or Dell is purposfuly making the troubleshooting
    > painfully >> slow to discourage warranty expense, should I just
    > recommend the >> customer sue in small-claims for damages under our
    > long-arm law?
    > > >
    > >> Needless to say, this customer's experience has shown me that I
    > >> should not personally buy more of the dozen Dell systems I have
    > bought >> over the years. How do you guys take this and what should

    Dell is having parts supply issues lately. Hopefully they'll get it
    resolved soon and give us techs some decent parts. I got 5 calls this
    week with wrong, insufficient or DOA parts from Dell (one of the
    systems I got working in spite of bad parts). This record is
    approximately 20% of my calls for the entire week.

    I personally don't mind Dell screw-ups bcause we get paid by the call.
    But of course the customer is upset cuz now the computer wont work
    over the long weekend. I love how Dell puts the customer through the
    ringer, then we get the part and basically we're dealing with the last
    emotional "straw" on the customer's back. Any mild screw-up by the
    tech and we're gonna hear the culmination of all aggrivations on our
    voice-mail.

    <zero@zero.com> wrote:

    >I am an independent computer technician.
    >
    >A Dell customer who bought his daughter a Dimension 4700 on 12/6/04,
    >with service tag 9kr3761, Dell issue number 103961017.
    >
    >The machine has been kept very clean with entirely stock Dell-branded
    >hardware and original software.
    >
    >The customer asked me to solve a problem that the machine was
    >beginning to have trouble in reading some CDs and in writing CD-Rs.
    >
    >Since he is under Dell "next business day" warranty, I first went to
    >Dell chat.
    >
    >After about an hour of chat, the Dell suggested modifying the registry
    >and upgrading the Combo drive firmware.
    >
    >This I did. The Combo drive seemed now to recognize CD's that it was
    >only recalibrating on before.
    >
    >Unfortunately I was unable to test even more because now the Dell
    >wireless keyboard and mouse stopped working.
    >
    >After another hour of chat -- five minutes or more lag between
    >interactions -- the Dell tech suggested upgrading the Bios. This I
    >did.
    >
    >Now the system fails to boot with a Diskette not found error.
    >
    >This is of course true since the system was not configured with one.
    >
    >Getting into the bios to check and change values is impossible since
    >both the wireless keyboard and mouse do not work nor do dedicated
    >wired mouse and keyboard work. (The diagnostics leds are all green.)
    >
    >After a further hour of Dell troubleshooting the technician admitted
    >his database regarding the system was down. I asked for a box and
    >a RMA number to ship the machine to Dell. The tech said I needed
    >further troubleshooting and to ship me a motherboard for installation
    >by the owner.
    >
    >Finally, after a fourth hour of chat where once again the tech
    >said that he could not reach the Dell config database he says that
    >more toubleshooting is necessary. My request for a box and an RMA
    >number was ignored.
    >
    >How many hours of fruitless troubleshooting should I do and what
    >should I do now? The client would not be able to put in a motherboard
    >and he cannot afford my help interminably.
    >
    >If this is the best warranty that Dell has, and it is proving
    >worthless or Dell is purposfuly making the troubleshooting painfully
    >slow to discourage warranty expense, should I just recommend the
    >customer sue in small-claims for damages under our long-arm law?
    >
    >Needless to say, this customer's experience has shown me that I
    >should not personally buy more of the dozen Dell systems I have bought
    >over the years. How do you guys take this and what should I do?

    Hey, if Dell et al can wire up a call center in India, there is no reason why
    call center handling cannot be dispersed among people who work out of home
    offices here in the U.S. or in the U.K., Ireland, etc. All a person needs to
    work as part of a call center are a dedicated phone line and a computer with a
    high-speed internet connection. Oh, yeah. Lots of techie knowledge, a pleasant
    demeanor, a good command of the English language, and thick skin, too... Ben
    Myers

    On , "Kevin Childers" <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote:

    >Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 13:00:24 -0500
    >
    > Not sure if this is a ray of hope or not for PC Support Call Center
    >Victims. Of late the companies that subcontract to provide this support
    >from India are looking to hire North American and European Techs to help
    >fill their shortages and deal with some of the language issues. Not sure of
    >the wages or the competency that will be offered. Anyone feel like taking
    >an out of town job, way out of town.
    >
    >KC
    >

    >"Wit held by request" <zero@zero.com> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:47:19 -0400, "PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Wit held by request" <zero@zero.com> wrote in message
    >> >>

    >> >Suprising info after reading the rest of your post.

    >> >Then why is he bringing it to you and even better, why are you attempting
    >> >service it.
    >> >Would it not have made more sense to inform the customer that you are not
    >an
    >> >authorized Dell support center and refer them to contact Dell?
    >>

    >> >If the keyboard and mouse stopped working, how were you able to determine
    >> >the drive was recognizing the CD?
    >> >Were you able to view the drives directory?
    >>
    >> I was able to get some information from the drive without the keyboard
    >> and mouse by simple inserting a CD in the drive that was previously
    >> not recognized. This time it was recognized.

    >> >And as an independent computer technician, you are unaware of what steps
    >> >take to get around this?
    >> >Perhaps presssing F2 during boot to enter BIOS setup and checking Boot
    >Drive
    >>
    >> This was done
    >>
    >> >sequence settings...or connecting a floppy drive and using an emergency
    >boot
    >> >disk to boot. Hmm, how about a BIOS reset with jumper/battery (something
    >> >that is common after any BIOS update).
    >>
    >> Doing non-standard work when not explicitly authorized by Dell would
    >> really make me "own" the reaaiir and the resulting expense to the
    >> customer.

    >> >How about attaching a standard (wired PS2) mouse and keyboard?
    >>
    >> I did this. Pressed Del and / or F2 on boot, etc.

    >> >My understanding is they send you (or a tech) the parts for on-site
    >install.
    >> >So his not wanting to send you a box and RMA number would make sense.

    >> >See above. It was not "ignored", it is simply not how they do it.

    >> >Why is he paying for your help to begin with? You yourself have said he
    >is
    >> >inder warranty.
    >>

    >> The customer felt that he needed an intermediary with Dell.
    >> I was glad to oblige, although I suggested that it would get
    >> expensive. Not much point in paying a substantial fraction of the
    >> cost of the system for maintenance that in theory is included
    >> in the original order.

    And so why am I out of work? You left out the ability to live on less than
    two dollar per hour for a 60 hour week.

    KC

    > Hey, if Dell et al can wire up a call center in India, there is no reason
    why
    > call center handling cannot be dispersed among people who work out of home
    > offices here in the U.S. or in the U.K., Ireland, etc. All a person needs
    > work as part of a call center are a dedicated phone line and a computer
    with a
    > high-speed internet connection. Oh, yeah. Lots of techie knowledge, a
    pleasant
    > demeanor, a good command of the English language, and thick skin, too...
    Ben
    > Myers
    >
    > On , "Kevin Childers" <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote:

    > >Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 13:00:24 -0500
    > >
    > > Not sure if this is a ray of hope or not for PC Support Call Center
    > >Victims. Of late the companies that subcontract to provide this support
    > >from India are looking to hire North American and European Techs to help
    > >fill their shortages and deal with some of the language issues. Not sure
    of
    > >the wages or the competency that will be offered. Anyone feel like
    taking
    > >an out of town job, way out of town.
    > >
    > >KC
    > >

    > >"Wit held by request" <zero@zero.com> wrote in message

    Dell-branded

    > >an

    > >> I was able to get some information from the drive without the keyboard
    > >> and mouse by simple inserting a CD in the drive that was previously
    > >> not recognized. This time it was recognized.

    > >Drive
    > >>
    > >> This was done

    > >boot
    > >>
    > >> Doing non-standard work when not explicitly authorized by Dell would
    > >> really make me "own" the reaaiir and the resulting expense to the
    > >> customer.

    > >> I did this. Pressed Del and / or F2 on boot, etc.

    > >install.

    > >is
    > >>

    > >> The customer felt that he needed an intermediary with Dell.
    > >> I was glad to oblige, although I suggested that it would get
    > >> expensive. Not much point in paying a substantial fraction of the
    > >> cost of the system for maintenance that in theory is included
    > >> in the original order.

  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Considering my personal experience with various Dell web pages---NO.

    The question remains. Does YOUR inability to locate any outstanding or
    completed service call justify your calling him a "troll" ? I don't think
    so.

    >I was just pointing out that since he had supplied us with the service
    > tag a quick check showed no outstanding or completed service calls?
    >
    > Does that not seem odd to you? I have had my share of problems with
    > Dell over the many years I have done business with them. i helped a
    > fried who had a 5 month old SATA drive fail, the replacement failed
    > after 2 hours. Just long enough for me to get XP reinstalled along
    > with SP2. I was not happy but Dell did ship a 2nd drive with assurances
    > that if that drive did fail they would replace the Mobo and power
    > supply.
    >
    > Wayne
    >
    > Irene wrote:
    >
    >> Isn't anyone, other than ;you, of course, who has problems with a
    >> computer a "troll" ? >g<
    >>

    >> /
    >> "wayne" <nope@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> > Ok I will bite but it seems like a troll as I checked Dell's web
    >> > site and they have no record of any support calls at all?
    >> >
    >> > This link may not work as I do have a premier account with Dell
    >> > http://support.dell.com/support/supporthistory/search.aspx?c=us&cs=1
    >> > 9&l= en&s=dhs
    >> >
    >> > The warranty on this computer near as I can tell has next day
    >> > on-site support so they will send out a technician to install the
    >> > motherboard. When I had a hard drive fail, Dell offered to send
    >> > out a technician to install the drive!
    >> >
    >> > I feel you should have escalated the problem and asked for a
    >> > supervisor.
    >> >
    >> > Wayne

    >> 12/6/04, >> with service tag 9kr3761, Dell issue number 103961017.

    >> Dell-branded >> hardware and original software.

    >> CD-Rs.

    >> to >> Dell chat.

    >> registry >> and upgrading the Combo drive firmware.

    >> was >> only recalibrating on before.

    >> one.

    >> since >> both the wireless keyboard and mouse do not work nor do
    >> dedicated >> wired mouse and keyboard work. (The diagnostics leds are
    >> all green.)

    >> admitted >> his database regarding the system was down. I asked for a
    >> box and >> a RMA number to ship the machine to Dell. The tech said I
    >> needed >> further troubleshooting and to ship me a motherboard for
    >> installation >> by the owner.

    >> motherboard >> and he cannot afford my help interminably.

    >> painfully >> slow to discourage warranty expense, should I just
    >> recommend the >> customer sue in small-claims for damages under our
    >> long-arm law?

    >> bought >> over the years. How do you guys take this and what should
    >> I do?
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > Oops! Missed that part about the wired keyboard and mouse.

    yep, Dellbots usually ignore the facts in their rush to leap to dell's
    defence.

    You've no need to apologise.

    Oh, you didn't.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I don't believe I called him a troll and his "story" is rife with
    inaccuracies as he has ONSITE support for the computer so no Dell would
    not send a box they would send parts and a technician for one. Second
    any person that would charge someone to call in warranty work when they
    have not even tried to call Dell sounds odd. When you are
    troubleshooting a PC you want to minimise things so the first thing you
    do is go to a wired keyboard and mouse. I can go on if you would like?

    Irene wrote:

    > Considering my personal experience with various Dell web pages---NO.
    >
    > The question remains. Does YOUR inability to locate any outstanding
    > or completed service call justify your calling him a "troll" ? I
    > don't think so.
    >

    > "wayne" <nope@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > I was just pointing out that since he had supplied us with the
    > > service tag a quick check showed no outstanding or completed
    > > service calls?
    > >
    > > Does that not seem odd to you? I have had my share of problems with
    > > Dell over the many years I have done business with them. i helped a
    > > fried who had a 5 month old SATA drive fail, the replacement failed
    > > after 2 hours. Just long enough for me to get XP reinstalled along
    > > with SP2. I was not happy but Dell did ship a 2nd drive with
    > > assurances that if that drive did fail they would replace the Mobo
    > > and power supply.
    > >
    > > Wayne
    > >
    > > Irene wrote:
    > >
    > >> Isn't anyone, other than ;you, of course, who has problems with a
    > >> computer a "troll" ? >g<
    > > >

    > >> /
    > >> "wayne" <nope@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    > http://support.dell.com/support/supporthistory/search.aspx?c=us&cs=1

    > >> 12/6/04, >> with service tag 9kr3761, Dell issue number 103961017.

    > >> Dell-branded >> hardware and original software.

    > >> CD-Rs.

    > went >> to >> Dell chat.

    > >> registry >> and upgrading the Combo drive firmware.

    > >> was >> only recalibrating on before.

    > Dell >> >> wireless keyboard and mouse stopped working.

    > This I >> >> did.

    > >> one.

    > >> since >> both the wireless keyboard and mouse do not work nor do
    > >> dedicated >> wired mouse and keyboard work. (The diagnostics leds
    > are >> all green.)

    > >> admitted >> his database regarding the system was down. I asked
    > for a >> box and >> a RMA number to ship the machine to Dell. The
    > tech said I >> needed >> further troubleshooting and to ship me a
    > motherboard for >> installation >> by the owner.

    > that >> >> more toubleshooting is necessary. My request for a box and
    > an RMA >> >> number was ignored.

    > >> motherboard >> and he cannot afford my help interminably.

    > >> painfully >> slow to discourage warranty expense, should I just
    > >> recommend the >> customer sue in small-claims for damages under
    > our >> long-arm law?

    > >> bought >> over the years. How do you guys take this and what
    > should >> I do?
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
    >Hey, if Dell et al can wire up a call center in India, there is no reason why
    >call center handling cannot be dispersed among people who work out of home
    >offices here in the U.S. or in the U.K., Ireland, etc. All a person needs to
    >work as part of a call center are a dedicated phone line and a computer with a
    >high-speed internet connection. Oh, yeah. Lots of techie knowledge, a pleasant
    >demeanor, a good command of the English language, and thick skin, too.

    "Lots of techie knowledge" is demonstrably not a requirement for
    first-level tech support, aka Script Monkeys. I'm not even sure they
    have to have a computer, as printed scripts will do just as well,
    though a computer may be required for their VOIP termination.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Huh? I'm defending Dell? I don't think so.

    I admitted making an error. Isn't that enough? Sheesh! Better than the US
    Govt and the Iraq debacle... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:47:12 GMT, "Anton Gusev" <anton.gusev2004@hotmail.com>

    >> Oops! Missed that part about the wired keyboard and mouse.
    >>

    >yep, Dellbots usually ignore the facts in their rush to leap to dell's
    >defence.
    >
    >You've no need to apologise.
    >
    >Oh, you didn't.

  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "wayne" <nope@nowhere.com> top-posted:
    >any person that would charge someone to call in warranty work when they
    >have not even tried to call Dell sounds odd.

    Don't be surprised, some people are happy to pay someone to front for
    them with Dell support calls. A non-trivial part of our business is
    doing just that. Nothing wrong with it, if they don't feel
    comfortable enough to deal with Dell.

    I usually tell people that Dell has good hardware service (I can
    usually explain to even a Script Monkey that a power supply blew up or
    a hard disk isn't spinning and have them FedEx me new parts for a
    client machine (*)) and _no-one_ has good software service, so it's
    frequently beneficial for them to hire me to sort out the difference
    and get their problem fixed.

    (*) Yes, even when they have on-site hardware service, many clients
    would rather have us come in and fix their problems than call Dell.
    Not everyone has the technical competence of those in this newsgroup,
    and would be able to (for instance) replace a wireless mouse with a
    wired one, if they even had a wired mouse on hand.

    [C'mon Wayne, even top-posters can learn to trim]
  32. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Oops! I forgot that techie knowledge is NOT required to work in a call center,
    only in the real world out here... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 21:47:37 -0400, William P. N. Smith wrote:

    >ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
    >>Hey, if Dell et al can wire up a call center in India, there is no reason why
    >>call center handling cannot be dispersed among people who work out of home
    >>offices here in the U.S. or in the U.K., Ireland, etc. All a person needs to
    >>work as part of a call center are a dedicated phone line and a computer with a
    >>high-speed internet connection. Oh, yeah. Lots of techie knowledge, a pleasant
    >>demeanor, a good command of the English language, and thick skin, too.
    >
    >"Lots of techie knowledge" is demonstrably not a requirement for
    >first-level tech support, aka Script Monkeys. I'm not even sure they
    >have to have a computer, as printed scripts will do just as well,
    >though a computer may be required for their VOIP termination.

  33. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I'm with you. Dell, HPaq, GatewayEMachines sell to a lot of computer phobic
    people. It's only a natural fallout of the extension of the computer business
    to the farthest reaches of the consumer world. I get a lot of service work from
    Dell owners and owners of other computers, simply because either they are
    uncomfortable dealing with Dell (or whomever) or they have tried before and been
    less than pleased with the results.

    I do especially well with hard drive replacement under warranty, telling the
    client the straight and honest scoop, namely that their personal data on the
    hard drive is history if they have a Dell (or whomever) service tech do it...
    Ben Myers

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 07:46:19 -0400, William P. N. Smith wrote:

    >"wayne" <nope@nowhere.com> top-posted:
    >>any person that would charge someone to call in warranty work when they
    >>have not even tried to call Dell sounds odd.
    >
    >Don't be surprised, some people are happy to pay someone to front for
    >them with Dell support calls. A non-trivial part of our business is
    >doing just that. Nothing wrong with it, if they don't feel
    >comfortable enough to deal with Dell.
    >
    >I usually tell people that Dell has good hardware service (I can
    >usually explain to even a Script Monkey that a power supply blew up or
    >a hard disk isn't spinning and have them FedEx me new parts for a
    >client machine (*)) and _no-one_ has good software service, so it's
    >frequently beneficial for them to hire me to sort out the difference
    >and get their problem fixed.
    >
    >(*) Yes, even when they have on-site hardware service, many clients
    >would rather have us come in and fix their problems than call Dell.
    >Not everyone has the technical competence of those in this newsgroup,
    >and would be able to (for instance) replace a wireless mouse with a
    >wired one, if they even had a wired mouse on hand.
    >
    >[C'mon Wayne, even top-posters can learn to trim]

  34. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Anton Gusev" <anton.gusev2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >> Oops! Missed that part about the wired keyboard and mouse.
    >>

    > yep, Dellbots usually ignore the facts in their rush to leap to dell's
    > defence.
    >
    > You've no need to apologise.
    >
    > Oh, you didn't.

    No need to go Irene on us, Irene.......
  35. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Not my post, but I think you knew that all to well.

    > "Anton Gusev" <anton.gusev2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >>> Oops! Missed that part about the wired keyboard and mouse.
    >>>

    >> yep, Dellbots usually ignore the facts in their rush to leap to dell's
    >> defence.
    >>
    >> You've no need to apologise.
    >>
    >> Oh, you didn't.
    >>

    > No need to go Irene on us, Irene.......

  36. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 07:46:19 -0400, William P. N. Smith wrote:

    >Don't be surprised, some people are happy to pay someone to front for
    >them with Dell support calls. A non-trivial part of our business is
    >doing just that. Nothing wrong with it, if they don't feel
    >comfortable enough to deal with Dell.
    >
    >I usually tell people that Dell has good hardware service (I can
    >usually explain to even a Script Monkey that a power supply blew up or
    >a hard disk isn't spinning and have them FedEx me new parts for a
    >client machine (*)) and _no-one_ has good software service, so it's
    >frequently beneficial for them to hire me to sort out the difference
    >and get their problem fixed.

    Not a bad business at that!
    --
    Top 10 Conservative Idiots: