Traveling and taking WiFi equipment along.....

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
June 4, 2004 4:41:10 PM

I'm soon to be staying in Taiwan for a while and wanted to know if my
802.11g will work there.... any thoughts on that?
Thanks
July 1, 2004 2:38:53 AM

In article <G5_vc.20237$OI5.19890@edtnps84>, Maxx <maxx@themaxx.canada> wrote:
> I'm soon to be staying in Taiwan for a while and wanted to know if my
> 802.11g will work there.... any thoughts on that?

I see no reason why not... a US router should connect to US devices no
matter where they are. Be careful of the voltage/frequency difference,
though.

--
-eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
"God does not play dice" -- Einstein

"Hactar" <ebenONE@tampabay.ARE-ARE.com.unmunge> wrote in message
> In article <G5_vc.20237$OI5.19890@edtnps84>, Maxx <maxx@themaxx.canada>
wrote:
> > I'm soon to be staying in Taiwan for a while and wanted to know if my
> > 802.11g will work there.... any thoughts on that?
>
> I see no reason why not... a US router should connect to US devices no
> matter where they are.

It's not just a matter of whether it works; there is also the matter of what
is legal in that country. Different countries use different channels and
different maximum power levels.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
Related resources
July 1, 2004 11:35:08 AM

In article <FFOEc.58880$OT6.23771654@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
Ron Bandes <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote:

> "Hactar" <ebenONE@tampabay.ARE-ARE.com.unmunge> wrote in message
> > In article <G5_vc.20237$OI5.19890@edtnps84>, Maxx <maxx@themaxx.canada>
> wrote:
> > > I'm soon to be staying in Taiwan for a while and wanted to know if my
> > > 802.11g will work there.... any thoughts on that?
> >
> > I see no reason why not... a US router should connect to US devices no
> > matter where they are.
>
> It's not just a matter of whether it works; there is also the matter of what
> is legal in that country. Different countries use different channels and
> different maximum power levels.

Sure, but the question _asked_ was whether it works there. Whether it's
legal, or works with Taiwanese-market devices, are separate matters.

--
-eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
SCORPIO: Get ready for an unexpected trip when you fall screaming

Hactar wrote:
|| In article <FFOEc.58880$OT6.23771654@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
|| Ron Bandes <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote:
||| "Hactar" <ebenONE@tampabay.ARE-ARE.com.unmunge> wrote in message
||| It's not just a matter of whether it works; there is also the
||| matter of what is legal in that country. Different countries use
||| different channels and different maximum power levels.
|| Sure, but the question _asked_ was whether it works there. Whether
|| it's legal, or works with Taiwanese-market devices, are separate
|| matters.
|| --
|| -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm
|| home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar SCORPIO: Get ready for an unexpected
|| trip when you fall screaming
|| from an open window. Work a little harder on improving your low self
|| esteem, you stupid freak. -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_

I investigated on my own and found that it uses the same channels as North
America (1 to 11) and the power is also the same. Japan uses channels up to
14 while most of the rest of the world uses channels up to 13.
Thanks
Maxx
!