Sign in with
Your question

OS Copying

Tags:
  • Software
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
July 22, 2010 10:28:24 PM

Is there a program or software that copy only the OS into another drive?

More about : copying

July 22, 2010 10:46:25 PM

No, you have to select the desired OS drive (or partition) during the OS installation process.

Walker
Windows Outreach Team
m
l
July 22, 2010 10:57:08 PM

If you mean like a clone its possible but a clone program always clones one HDD to another HDD.

Something like Norton Ghost will copy one HPP to the other HDD and is normally best done using the same size HDD in order to avoid any partition problems.

Now you could do a fresh install of Windows, get it up to date and install drivers then make an image of that onto a CD/DVD and use that to install it to another PC but only if the second PC has the same hardware.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 22, 2010 11:24:44 PM

Noticed Norton Ghost doesn't list Windows 7 as being supported. Not sure about any other software suggestions for OP.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/ghost
m
l
July 22, 2010 11:42:10 PM

We use Acronus at work for Windows 7 and it works great so far. But as I said, the HDD should be the same size and on the same hardware in order to avoid any sort of problems or errors.

BTW badge, look at my thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/8941-63-connecting-wo...

Maybe you can help since you are pretty knowledgeable.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 22, 2010 11:48:39 PM

I was thinking of Acronis, which I have an older version. I read that somewhere about the HD being the same size. There is also Todo which is free. I have Todo downloaded for a long while, but never installed it.

http://www.todo-backup.com/

m
l
July 22, 2010 11:51:00 PM

^Well we do sometimes have to change the size since we only carry 320GB HDDs in stock and most people have around 200-320GB HDDs. But if we do clone it to a bigger drive then we have to go in and change the boot partition so that Windows doesn't freak out.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 23, 2010 12:04:43 AM

Western digital used to provide a 'cloning' software on their site for downlaod I have used with sucess. I think WD now has a link to Acronis for that purpose. Won't help with cloning, but with Windows 7 I use the backup interface provided with OS to a slave. So, I havn't cloned a HD for a long while.

Add.

http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=...
m
l
July 23, 2010 12:53:51 AM

Acronis True Image

Axelion said:
Is there a program or software that copy only the OS into another drive?

m
l
July 23, 2010 1:00:26 AM

Well, I have that software since I own WD Caviar Black.
I'm trying to copy my OS into a new SSD.
Since a software to copy OS is non existent then I suppose I shall uninstall and delete my files until it got under 64gb.
m
l
July 23, 2010 1:15:59 AM

Acronis can do a clone to clone copy of your drive.

You can't just copy the OS because the OS marks a footprint all over the drive and it won't work if you just copied an OS. By OS I'm assuming "c:\Windows" is what you want to copy. You can't do that.

Cloning the drive is the same as "copy the OS" however where it copies all the footprints and markings the OS puts on the drive.

Axelion said:
Since a software to copy OS is non existent then I suppose I shall uninstall and delete my files until it got under 64gb.

m
l
July 23, 2010 2:36:24 AM

Axelion said:

In that case what I would suggest is to do a fresh install of Windows onto the SSD and used that drive only for Windows, office and important programs and then use your other drive as a data drive for games, music and other programs/files.
m
l
!