D-Link admits DI-624 will not renew client IP address from..

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 4, 2004 12:05:07 PM

D-Link tech support has confirmed that the D-Link DI-624 will not
automatically renew the IP address received via a cable modem. Does anyone
care?? There is no firmware fix although they might consider a fix in the
future. Does anyone care that you have to always release/renew the IP
address from your ISP manually. Of course, some of these routers reboot
often enough on their own that they release/renew as part of the start up.
But automatic release/renew as an IP client of the ISP's DHCP server is not
a supported feature. Do you know of any routers that do support this
feature. Shouldn't we be asking for this feature from router vendors?? It
should be industry standard.
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 12:40:08 PM

Stevef wrote:
> D-Link tech support has confirmed that the D-Link DI-624 will not
> automatically renew the IP address received via a cable modem. Does
> anyone care?? There is no firmware fix although they might consider
> a fix in the future. Does anyone care that you have to always
> release/renew the IP address from your ISP manually. Of course, some
> of these routers reboot often enough on their own that they
> release/renew as part of the start up. But automatic release/renew as
> an IP client of the ISP's DHCP server is not a supported feature. Do
> you know of any routers that do support this feature. Shouldn't we
> be asking for this feature from router vendors?? It should be
> industry standard.

AFIK, comcast controls the lease, not the router. Are you implying that
your comcast lease terminates and you lose your connection? I can
guarantee that if this were a routine problem, there would be postings
on broadbandreports.com and countless newsgroups. Post this to
comp.dcom.modems.cable and see what the experts have to say about this.

June 4, 2004 3:13:06 PM

Yes, exactly the point. Very astute. Comcast controls the lease! It is up
to the DHCP client (in this case the router) to ask for renewal from the
DHCP server (Comcast) before expiration, or the lease expires based on the
time limit Comcast sets. Currently it is four days.

Yes, the lease expires unless the router is rebooted or someone manually
uses the router status screen buttons to do a reease renew.

Thank you for the guarantee that this is not a problem. Very helpful.
Maybe you didn't understand the part of the initial post that Dlink has
ALREADY confirmed this is a problem becasue they don't renew the lease
automatically. The point is not whether this is a problem. The point is
whether anyone cares that this problem exists. So you are saying that
D-Link is wrong and you can personally guarantee this is not a problem.
Whew! Excuuussseeee me.

news:D J-dncCiA55UFF3dRVn-vw@comcast.com...
> Stevef wrote:
> > D-Link tech support has confirmed that the D-Link DI-624 will not
> > automatically renew the IP address received via a cable modem. Does
> > anyone care?? There is no firmware fix although they might consider
> > a fix in the future. Does anyone care that you have to always
> > release/renew the IP address from your ISP manually. Of course, some
> > of these routers reboot often enough on their own that they
> > release/renew as part of the start up. But automatic release/renew as
> > an IP client of the ISP's DHCP server is not a supported feature. Do
> > you know of any routers that do support this feature. Shouldn't we
> > be asking for this feature from router vendors?? It should be
> > industry standard.
>
> AFIK, comcast controls the lease, not the router. Are you implying that
> your comcast lease terminates and you lose your connection? I can
> guarantee that if this were a routine problem, there would be postings
> on broadbandreports.com and countless newsgroups. Post this to
> comp.dcom.modems.cable and see what the experts have to say about this.

June 4, 2004 6:31:40 PM

"Stevef" <news@stevefarthing.junk> ...
> D-Link tech support has confirmed that the D-Link DI-624 will not
> automatically renew the IP address received via a cable modem.

Call your cable subscriber and ask for a list of supported routers while
explaining your snafu .. might get lucky and be given a fixed IP.
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 9:16:30 PM

That is exactly what the "Renew IP Forever" checkbox does on SMC routers.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Stevef" <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote in message
news:o 5Sdne2ORacDHF3dRVn-jw@comcast.com...
> D-Link tech support has confirmed that the D-Link DI-624 will not
> automatically renew the IP address received via a cable modem. Does
anyone
> care?? There is no firmware fix although they might consider a fix in the
> future. Does anyone care that you have to always release/renew the IP
> address from your ISP manually. Of course, some of these routers reboot
> often enough on their own that they release/renew as part of the start up.
> But automatic release/renew as an IP client of the ISP's DHCP server is
not
> a supported feature. Do you know of any routers that do support this
> feature. Shouldn't we be asking for this feature from router vendors??
It
> should be industry standard.
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 11:06:12 AM

FYI - Comcast doesn't support routers, only cable modems. If you call for
support, one of the first questions is 'Do you have a router?' and if so,
please connect your PC directly into the cable modem and exclude the router
from the situation. They don't object to using a router, they just don't
want to be involved in troubleshooting it.

"bumtracks" <user@unknown.org> wrote in message

> "Stevef" <news@stevefarthing.junk> ...
> > D-Link tech support has confirmed that the D-Link DI-624 will not
> > automatically renew the IP address received via a cable modem.
>
> Call your cable subscriber and ask for a list of supported routers while
> explaining your snafu .. might get lucky and be given a fixed IP.

Anonymous
June 7, 2004 11:08:45 AM

So an SMC router can automatically renew the lease from the ISP?? Thanks
for the tip, Ron. I will check it out.

"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
news:o 72wc.3244$jD6.2091193@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net...
> That is exactly what the "Renew IP Forever" checkbox does on SMC routers.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
>
> "Stevef" <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote in message
> news:o 5Sdne2ORacDHF3dRVn-jw@comcast.com...
> > D-Link tech support has confirmed that the D-Link DI-624 will not
> > automatically renew the IP address received via a cable modem. Does
> anyone
> > care?? There is no firmware fix although they might consider a fix in
the
> > future. Does anyone care that you have to always release/renew the IP
> > address from your ISP manually. Of course, some of these routers reboot
> > often enough on their own that they release/renew as part of the start
up.
> > But automatic release/renew as an IP client of the ISP's DHCP server is
> not
> > a supported feature. Do you know of any routers that do support this
> > feature. Shouldn't we be asking for this feature from router vendors??
> It
> > should be industry standard.

Anonymous
June 7, 2004 9:01:31 PM

Ron Bandes <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote:
> That is exactly what the "Renew IP Forever" checkbox does on SMC routers.

The SMC option controls the DHCP addresses that it is leasing to your LAN.
It has nothing to do with the address on the WAN side of the router.

---
June 7, 2004 9:13:00 PM

Stevef <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote:
> D-Link tech support has confirmed that the D-Link DI-624 will not
> automatically renew the IP address received via a cable modem. Does anyone
> care?? There is no firmware fix although they might consider a fix in the
> future. Does anyone care that you have to always release/renew the IP
> address from your ISP manually. Of course, some of these routers reboot

"always" is the key here. How often does this happen? With my MCHSI cable
modem and an SMC router, I have only seen my IP address change once in well
over a year. DHCP should normally give you the same ip address again when
the lease expires, if the device is still pingable. Do you leave your
router and cable modem on all the time? Do you use the "standby" button on
the cable modem, if there is one?

At one point, I had some issues where it seemed like "release/renew" was
necessary to establish a connection, but looking at the cable modem logs
indicated that the cable modem was rebooting a lot. It was just a timing
coincidence that I seemed to be making it work by release/renew.

If you have a Motorola cable modem, try looking at the logs at
http://192.168.100.1/logs.html
40530003949 3-Critical H501.4 HFC: LOST TRC SYNC- trying to recover
40530003736 3-Critical H501.8 HFC: T4 Timer Expired

--
---
June 8, 2004 6:02:11 AM

<dold@D-LinkXadm.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
> Ron Bandes <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote:
> > That is exactly what the "Renew IP Forever" checkbox does on SMC
routers.

> The SMC option controls the DHCP addresses that it is leasing to your LAN.
> It has nothing to do with the address on the WAN side of the router.
>
> ---
> Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5

I believe you're mistaken. On my SMC7004BR it appears on the Primary Setup
screen right under the WAN type and Host name. The help screen says:

Renew IP Forever: this feature enables your Barricade to renew your IP
address automatically when the lease time is expiring--even when the system
is idle. This also causes the Barricade to automatically connect to your ISP
after your system is restarted or the connection is dropped.

Connecting to the ISP is a WAN function. Also, it is the responsibility of
the DHCP client to request renewal of an IP address lease. The router
couldn't renew the LAN addresses forever, unless you're thinking of Lease
Time.

On my SMC2804WBR on the LAN screen there is a setting for Lease Time. Among
other choices, there is a Forever value. This is for LAN leases.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 6:37:27 PM

I was contempleting getting the DI-624. Now I'm a little concerned..
Although, I would think that this "feature" is available on ALL routers..
I'm might be completely wrong here but once your router gets an IP and
connects to the ISP the lease expiry time keeps getting extended.... if you
log off or disconnect you have 2 hours or until the end of the lease time to
re-connect and get the same IP address back.

I'm not sure what the router is supposed to do that it's not doing in this
case.... but if it doesn't work I sure as heck don't want to buy one :)
But then again it's a very popular router so these groups would be clogged
with D-link issues if it was a real issue...

Kevin

"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
news:D 69xc.7344$IQ2.5013423@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net...

> <dold@D-LinkXadm.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
> > Ron Bandes <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote:
> > > That is exactly what the "Renew IP Forever" checkbox does on SMC
> routers.
> >
> > The SMC option controls the DHCP addresses that it is leasing to your
LAN.
> > It has nothing to do with the address on the WAN side of the router.
> >
> > ---
> > Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5
>
> I believe you're mistaken. On my SMC7004BR it appears on the Primary
Setup
> screen right under the WAN type and Host name. The help screen says:
>
> Renew IP Forever: this feature enables your Barricade to renew your IP
> address automatically when the lease time is expiring--even when the
system
> is idle. This also causes the Barricade to automatically connect to your
ISP
> after your system is restarted or the connection is dropped.
>
> Connecting to the ISP is a WAN function. Also, it is the responsibility
of
> the DHCP client to request renewal of an IP address lease. The router
> couldn't renew the LAN addresses forever, unless you're thinking of Lease
> Time.
>
> On my SMC2804WBR on the LAN screen there is a setting for Lease Time.
Among
> other choices, there is a Forever value. This is for LAN leases.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

June 8, 2004 11:04:18 PM

"Kevin" <kebuchan@c_eh_n_eh_d_eh.com> wrote in message
> I was contempleting getting the DI-624. Now I'm a little concerned..
> Although, I would think that this "feature" is available on ALL routers..
> I'm might be completely wrong here but once your router gets an IP and
> connects to the ISP the lease expiry time keeps getting extended.... if
you
> log off or disconnect you have 2 hours or until the end of the lease time
> re-connect and get the same IP address back.

The client must request renewal of the lease. In this case, the router is
the client on the WAN, and the ISP owns the server. There is a timer called
T1, which is set by default to half the lease period (but it could be a
different value). When this timer expires, the client is expected to request
a renewal of the lease. If the lease expires without such a request, the
server returns the address to the pool, and may reassign it.

> I'm not sure what the router is supposed to do that it's not doing in this
> case.... but if it doesn't work I sure as heck don't want to buy one :)
> But then again it's a very popular router so these groups would be clogged
> with D-link issues if it was a real issue...

All DHCP clients are required to honor the lease time. But there are two
cases I can think of in which it is perfectly legal to not renew:

1. The lease time is infinite (almost certainly not the case here).
2. The clients stops using the IP address after the lease expires.

If the DI-624 fails to renew the lease and keeps on using the IP address,
it's seriously broken, and I would be amazed if ISPs were not shutting off
service to people who own them. If it simply stops using the address, it's
as if the device were powered down. That's legal, but stunningly stupid.

I've also looked at some other mailing lists, and I see no threads on this
issue. But, for the DI-624 rev C only (that's the one with the single
antenna), there is a firmware upgrade (2.42, 4/6/2004) which claims "Fixed
DHCP disconnect bug". I have no idea what that actually means, but it's
suggestive.

> Kevin
>

> "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
> news:D 69xc.7344$IQ2.5013423@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net...
> >
> > <dold@D-LinkXadm.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
> > routers.
> > >
> > > The SMC option controls the DHCP addresses that it is leasing to your
> LAN.
> > > It has nothing to do with the address on the WAN side of the router.
> > >
> > > ---
> > > Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5
> >
> > I believe you're mistaken. On my SMC7004BR it appears on the Primary
> Setup
> > screen right under the WAN type and Host name. The help screen says:
> >
> > Renew IP Forever: this feature enables your Barricade to renew your IP
> > address automatically when the lease time is expiring--even when the
> system
> > is idle. This also causes the Barricade to automatically connect to your
> ISP
> > after your system is restarted or the connection is dropped.
> >
> > Connecting to the ISP is a WAN function. Also, it is the responsibility
> of
> > the DHCP client to request renewal of an IP address lease. The router
> > couldn't renew the LAN addresses forever, unless you're thinking of
Lease
> > Time.
> >
> > On my SMC2804WBR on the LAN screen there is a setting for Lease Time.
> Among
> > other choices, there is a Forever value. This is for LAN leases.
> >
> > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Anonymous
June 9, 2004 12:33:51 AM

Ron Bandes <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote:
> I believe you're mistaken. On my SMC7004BR it appears on the Primary Setup
> screen right under the WAN type and Host name. The help screen says:

The 7004BR is EOL in 2001. I don't see that feature on the VWBR or WFW.
It is in the 7004AWBR, also EOL in 2001.

Hmmm. I wonder what that means in the grand scheme of things.

--
---
June 9, 2004 7:44:26 AM

Cablevision's Optimum Online is exactly the same. The sharper technicians
there don't even ask me if I have a router; they see it.

> FYI - Comcast doesn't support routers, only cable modems. If you call for
> support, one of the first questions is 'Do you have a router?' and if so,
> please connect your PC directly into the cable modem and exclude the
router
> from the situation. They don't object to using a router, they just don't
> want to be involved in troubleshooting it.
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 12:06:21 PM

It would be great if D-Link actually displayed the lease expiration time for
the DI-624. That would shed a lot of light on this situation. But they
don't show that information. #$%^&@# They do show 'DHCP Client Connected'
and the client IP address, MAC, gateway and DNS addresses. But not the
lease expiration, which is frustrating. They also display a button to
release and another button to renew the lease manually on the status page.
Oh, well. But by connecting the PC directly to the cable modem and
requesting an IP address, then it is possible to discover that Comcast is
assigning a four day lease expiration to the client IP address.
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 7:18:12 PM

Stevef <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote:
> It would be great if D-Link actually displayed the lease expiration time for
> the DI-624. That would shed a lot of light on this situation. But they
> don't show that information. #$%^&@# They do show 'DHCP Client Connected'
> and the client IP address, MAC, gateway and DNS addresses. But not the
> lease expiration, which is frustrating. They also display a button to

That's interesting. The Linksys doesn't seem to have the information
either. I can't see my SMC, and the manual only has a picture of a
"disconnected" status page, but the data is in the text log that I saved
from the status page. It shows ",Lease time=345599" which is 4 days.

When you release and renew, do you get the same address?
If you do, then I don't think an expired lease is causing your trouble.
If your lease had expired, it presumably would have been given away.

If you do manually renew, does the trouble appear after four days, or does
it fail sooner?

> Oh, well. But by connecting the PC directly to the cable modem and
> requesting an IP address, then it is possible to discover that Comcast is
> assigning a four day lease expiration to the client IP address.

"and requesting an IP address"... doens't that happen automatically as
soon as you connect to the cable modem?

Does your router discard WAN ping requests? The automatic renewal might
not allow a ping to echo to the DHCP server. The release/renew might.
That might prevent the addressed from being reissued to you.

--
---
June 9, 2004 7:18:13 PM

I have seen the IP address change before. A few days ago I tried the reset
button for 10 seconds and then re-entering the setup options I am using.
That is the first time I've done a reset. Since then, if I do a manual
release/renew (for no good reason other than to do it), I notice the router
automatically does another one 30 minutes later and receives the same
address. But not every 30 minutes after that. So maybe it would eventually
renew before the lease expired. I will have to wait 4 days and see. The
router works better since the reset. Now DHCP to router clients works with
wpa-psk wireless security. Before it would not.

Yes, the router discards pings from the internet (WAN). Everything is
stealthed to the internet.

> When you release and renew, do you get the same address?
> If you do, then I don't think an expired lease is causing your trouble.
> If your lease had expired, it presumably would have been given away.
>
> If you do manually renew, does the trouble appear after four days, or does
> it fail sooner?
>

> Does your router discard WAN ping requests? The automatic renewal might
> not allow a ping to echo to the DHCP server. The release/renew might.
> That might prevent the addressed from being reissued to you.

Anonymous
June 9, 2004 10:05:18 PM

Stevef <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote:

> Yes, the router discards pings from the internet (WAN). Everything is
> stealthed to the internet.

Stealth is specifically mentioned on ntlworld as a cause for trouble with
DHCP. They suggest either leaving ping echo on, or adding the DHCP
server(s) to a list of trusted hosts. These comments are in the section
describing personal firewalls on a PC. I don't know that there is any
trusted host table in a router.

If your difficulty continues, I would try enabling the pings.

---
June 9, 2004 10:05:19 PM

Shouldn't that only be an issue of the host wants to contact the DHCP client
and solicit a renewal? But if the client proactively tries to renew, no
problem?

> Stevef <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote:
>
> > Yes, the router discards pings from the internet (WAN). Everything is
> > stealthed to the internet.
>
> Stealth is specifically mentioned on ntlworld as a cause for trouble with
> DHCP. They suggest either leaving ping echo on, or adding the DHCP
> server(s) to a list of trusted hosts. These comments are in the section
> describing personal firewalls on a PC. I don't know that there is any
> trusted host table in a router.
>
> If your difficulty continues, I would try enabling the pings.
>
> ---
> Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5

Anonymous
June 10, 2004 1:34:20 AM

Stevef <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote:
> Shouldn't that only be an issue of the host wants to contact the DHCP client
> and solicit a renewal? But if the client proactively tries to renew, no
> problem?

I don't know that a DHCP server ever initiates a connection. What do you
mean by "solicit a renewal"? There are two different paths followed for
"request" and "renew", both initiated by the client.

Half way through the lease time, the client should attempt to extend the
lease. This may be done via a unicast request to the DHCP server used last
time. At 7/8 through the lease time, the client broadcasts instead of the
targetted request. At the end of the lease time, it stops asking for its
old IP address and broadcasts looking for a new one. It can't function
on the network until it gets a new address. It can't use the old one.

So is the connection working fine for four days? At the end of four days,
it has already had some serious issues with the DHCP server because it
hasn't extended the previous lease. Does it stop at two days? That's
buggy. It should work for 3+ days at least. Or maybe it's not DHCP at
all. The release/reaquire (I know it says release/renew, but that's
incorrect terminology) is just a smokescreen if the problem occurs before
at least half the lease time.

The other question that hasn't been answered is if the logs on the cable
modem have been examined. My troubles went away when they took the "TV
trap" off of my line. I don't subscribe to cable TV, and there was a
filter installed to block the TV signals that was impacting my internet
connectivity. The logs on the cable modem showed lots of synch trouble
and T4 timeouts.

---
June 10, 2004 7:38:21 PM

Today I tried connecting the router's WAN port to LAN port 1 and setting a 1
hour lease time as a quick test and the router leased itself an IP address
but never renewed it.

So far, D-Link says it will not renew automatically. So far, they are
correct.
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 3:03:26 AM

Stevef <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote:
> Today I tried connecting the router's WAN port to LAN port 1 and setting a 1
> hour lease time as a quick test and the router leased itself an IP address
> but never renewed it.

That's downright cute. I might try that with a router I have sitting here.
How are you deciding that the address is not getting renewed?

The question I usually ask myself when shooting what seems to be a
fundamental flaw:
And how is it that everyone with a DI-624 isn't having trouble?
1- most are PPPoE
2- some have static addresses
3- ?

--
---
June 11, 2004 3:03:27 AM

> Stevef <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote:
> > Today I tried connecting the router's WAN port to LAN port 1 and setting
a 1
> > hour lease time as a quick test and the router leased itself an IP
address
> > but never renewed it.
>
> That's downright cute. I might try that with a router I have sitting
here.
> How are you deciding that the address is not getting renewed?

No renewal entries in the log file and the IP address stops working - can't
be pinged. If you manually renew or reboot the router, it logs messages
when it requests and receives an IP address. Upon expiration, there were no
renewal messages in the log.

> The question I usually ask myself when shooting what seems to be a
> fundamental flaw:
> And how is it that everyone with a DI-624 isn't having trouble?
> 1- most are PPPoE

Must be a factor.

> 2- some have static addresses

Probably.

> 3- ?

Maybe more people are having trouble but haven't figured it out. ( Look at
how long it took doctors to figure out just to wash their hands before
surgery. And they resisted the evidence.) The evidence here is that mine
won't renew and D-Link agrees it does not have the capability. It is
curious how many think it does. So maybe there is still some unidentified
setup option that makes the difference. Or D-Link slipstreams their
firmware versions so the same version number could have different versions
that have been released. Who knows. I am still curious to find out for
sure. Although, with a four day lease from Comcast, I don't clicking on the
renew button every once in awhile. But it still seems like it should be
automatic for the router.
June 11, 2004 6:05:58 AM

"Stevef" <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote in message
news:o 6-dnaIEQ4BHkFTdRVn-jw@comcast.com...

> <dold@D-LinkXadm.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
> > Stevef <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote:
> > > Today I tried connecting the router's WAN port to LAN port 1 and
setting
> a 1
> > > hour lease time as a quick test and the router leased itself an IP
> address
> > > but never renewed it.
> >
> > That's downright cute. I might try that with a router I have sitting
> here.
> > How are you deciding that the address is not getting renewed?
>
> No renewal entries in the log file and the IP address stops working -
can't
> be pinged. If you manually renew or reboot the router, it logs messages
> when it requests and receives an IP address. Upon expiration, there were
no
> renewal messages in the log.
>

> > The question I usually ask myself when shooting what seems to be a
> > fundamental flaw:
> > And how is it that everyone with a DI-624 isn't having trouble?
> > 1- most are PPPoE

In the U.S., at least, ADSL is always PPOE and cable is usually DHCP. I had
occasion to run Ethereal on the Ethernet side of a friend's Time Warner
modem. You can see all of the neighborhood's DHCP broadcast traffic, plus
the Time Warner server issuing broadcast ARPs against IP address blocs (I
think to verify the assignment state of its address pools).

If the DI-624 stops using the address after the lease expires, the ISP won't
notice or care. If the average lease time exceeds the average
time-to-reboot, then many cable users might not notice a lease problem.

> Must be a factor.
>
> > 2- some have static addresses
>
> Probably.
>
> > 3- ?
>
> Maybe more people are having trouble but haven't figured it out. ( Look at
> how long it took doctors to figure out just to wash their hands before
> surgery. And they resisted the evidence.) The evidence here is that
mine
> won't renew and D-Link agrees it does not have the capability. It is
> curious how many think it does. So maybe there is still some unidentified
> setup option that makes the difference. Or D-Link slipstreams their
> firmware versions so the same version number could have different versions
> that have been released. Who knows. I am still curious to find out for
> sure. Although, with a four day lease from Comcast, I don't clicking on
the
> renew button every once in awhile. But it still seems like it should be
> automatic for the router.

Anonymous
June 11, 2004 3:13:23 PM

Steve,

So basically you boot up and are connected for an hour then youre internet
connection is useless (freezes up).

Interesting. I wonder if it's just your router. DI-624 is listed as the
most popular router out there in its class.

Did you apply all the patches? I'm assuming you did as one of them is a
DHCP patch.

Kevin

"Stevef" <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote in message
news:o 6-dnaIEQ4BHkFTdRVn-jw@comcast.com...

> <dold@D-LinkXadm.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
> > Stevef <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote:
> > > Today I tried connecting the router's WAN port to LAN port 1 and
setting
> a 1
> > > hour lease time as a quick test and the router leased itself an IP
> address
> > > but never renewed it.
> >
> > That's downright cute. I might try that with a router I have sitting
> here.
> > How are you deciding that the address is not getting renewed?
>
> No renewal entries in the log file and the IP address stops working -
can't
> be pinged. If you manually renew or reboot the router, it logs messages
> when it requests and receives an IP address. Upon expiration, there were
no
> renewal messages in the log.
>

> > The question I usually ask myself when shooting what seems to be a
> > fundamental flaw:
> > And how is it that everyone with a DI-624 isn't having trouble?
> > 1- most are PPPoE
>
> Must be a factor.
>
> > 2- some have static addresses
>
> Probably.
>
> > 3- ?
>
> Maybe more people are having trouble but haven't figured it out. ( Look at
> how long it took doctors to figure out just to wash their hands before
> surgery. And they resisted the evidence.) The evidence here is that
mine
> won't renew and D-Link agrees it does not have the capability. It is
> curious how many think it does. So maybe there is still some unidentified
> setup option that makes the difference. Or D-Link slipstreams their
> firmware versions so the same version number could have different versions
> that have been released. Who knows. I am still curious to find out for
> sure. Although, with a four day lease from Comcast, I don't clicking on
the
> renew button every once in awhile. But it still seems like it should be
> automatic for the router.

Anonymous
June 11, 2004 3:13:24 PM

Only for an hour during that quick test I did using the 1 hour lease. In
normal use, the router works quite well other than won't renew the lease
from my ISP (Comcast). That is a 4 day lease, still tolerable. Yes,
current firmware v2.42. Thanks.

"Kevin" <kebuchan@c_eh_n_eh_d_eh.com> wrote in message
news:D _jyc.8806$_V4.1767@read1.cgocable.net...
> Steve,
>
> So basically you boot up and are connected for an hour then youre internet
> connection is useless (freezes up).
>
> Interesting. I wonder if it's just your router. DI-624 is listed as the
> most popular router out there in its class.
>
> Did you apply all the patches? I'm assuming you did as one of them is a
> DHCP patch.
>
> Kevin
>
> "Stevef" <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote in message
> news:o 6-dnaIEQ4BHkFTdRVn-jw@comcast.com...
> >
> > <dold@D-LinkXadm.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
> setting
> > a 1
> > address
> > >
> > > That's downright cute. I might try that with a router I have sitting
> > here.
> > > How are you deciding that the address is not getting renewed?
> >
> > No renewal entries in the log file and the IP address stops working -
> can't
> > be pinged. If you manually renew or reboot the router, it logs messages
> > when it requests and receives an IP address. Upon expiration, there were
> no
> > renewal messages in the log.
> >

> > > The question I usually ask myself when shooting what seems to be a
> > > fundamental flaw:
> > > And how is it that everyone with a DI-624 isn't having trouble?
> > > 1- most are PPPoE
> >
> > Must be a factor.
> >
> > > 2- some have static addresses
> >
> > Probably.
> >
> > > 3- ?
> >
> > Maybe more people are having trouble but haven't figured it out. ( Look
at
> > how long it took doctors to figure out just to wash their hands before
> > surgery. And they resisted the evidence.) The evidence here is that
> mine
> > won't renew and D-Link agrees it does not have the capability. It is
> > curious how many think it does. So maybe there is still some
unidentified
> > setup option that makes the difference. Or D-Link slipstreams their
> > firmware versions so the same version number could have different
versions
> > that have been released. Who knows. I am still curious to find out for
> > sure. Although, with a four day lease from Comcast, I don't clicking on
> the
> > renew button every once in awhile. But it still seems like it should be
> > automatic for the router.

Anonymous
June 11, 2004 6:19:11 PM

You should also see the lease expiration date-time on the WAN status page of
your router.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Stevef" <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote in message
news:o 6-dnaIEQ4BHkFTdRVn-jw@comcast.com...

> <dold@D-LinkXadm.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
> > Stevef <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote:
> > > Today I tried connecting the router's WAN port to LAN port 1 and
setting
> a 1
> > > hour lease time as a quick test and the router leased itself an IP
> address
> > > but never renewed it.
> >
> > That's downright cute. I might try that with a router I have sitting
> here.
> > How are you deciding that the address is not getting renewed?
>
> No renewal entries in the log file and the IP address stops working -
can't
> be pinged. If you manually renew or reboot the router, it logs messages
> when it requests and receives an IP address. Upon expiration, there were
no
> renewal messages in the log.
>

> > The question I usually ask myself when shooting what seems to be a
> > fundamental flaw:
> > And how is it that everyone with a DI-624 isn't having trouble?
> > 1- most are PPPoE
>
> Must be a factor.
>
> > 2- some have static addresses
>
> Probably.
>
> > 3- ?
>
> Maybe more people are having trouble but haven't figured it out. ( Look at
> how long it took doctors to figure out just to wash their hands before
> surgery. And they resisted the evidence.) The evidence here is that
mine
> won't renew and D-Link agrees it does not have the capability. It is
> curious how many think it does. So maybe there is still some unidentified
> setup option that makes the difference. Or D-Link slipstreams their
> firmware versions so the same version number could have different versions
> that have been released. Who knows. I am still curious to find out for
> sure. Although, with a four day lease from Comcast, I don't clicking on
the
> renew button every once in awhile. But it still seems like it should be
> automatic for the router.

Anonymous
June 11, 2004 6:19:12 PM

Nothing on the status page. D-Link doesn't show that. Maybe because they
don't renew it? But the DHCP page would show it if I had looked during my 1
hour 'loopback DHCP' test. Maybe I will try it again. Thanks.

> You should also see the lease expiration date-time on the WAN status page
of
> your router.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
>
> "Stevef" <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote in message
> news:o 6-dnaIEQ4BHkFTdRVn-jw@comcast.com...
> >
> > <dold@D-LinkXadm.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
> setting
> > a 1
> > address
> > >
> > > That's downright cute. I might try that with a router I have sitting
> > here.
> > > How are you deciding that the address is not getting renewed?
> >
> > No renewal entries in the log file and the IP address stops working -
> can't
> > be pinged. If you manually renew or reboot the router, it logs messages
> > when it requests and receives an IP address. Upon expiration, there were
> no
> > renewal messages in the log.
> >

> > > The question I usually ask myself when shooting what seems to be a
> > > fundamental flaw:
> > > And how is it that everyone with a DI-624 isn't having trouble?
> > > 1- most are PPPoE
> >
> > Must be a factor.
> >
> > > 2- some have static addresses
> >
> > Probably.
> >
> > > 3- ?
> >
> > Maybe more people are having trouble but haven't figured it out. ( Look
at
> > how long it took doctors to figure out just to wash their hands before
> > surgery. And they resisted the evidence.) The evidence here is that
> mine
> > won't renew and D-Link agrees it does not have the capability. It is
> > curious how many think it does. So maybe there is still some
unidentified
> > setup option that makes the difference. Or D-Link slipstreams their
> > firmware versions so the same version number could have different
versions
> > that have been released. Who knows. I am still curious to find out for
> > sure. Although, with a four day lease from Comcast, I don't clicking on
> the
> > renew button every once in awhile. But it still seems like it should be
> > automatic for the router.

Anonymous
June 11, 2004 11:31:29 PM

gary <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> If the DI-624 stops using the address after the lease expires, the ISP won't
> notice or care. If the average lease time exceeds the average
> time-to-reboot, then many cable users might not notice a lease problem.

The time-to-reboot really only affects the user that has their PC plugged
directly into the cable modem, possibly the bulk of the audience.
Steve could get by if he power cycled his router along with his PC on that
same line of thought.

"Stevef" <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote in message
> The evidence here is that mine won't renew and D-Link agrees it does not
> have the capability. It is curious how many think it does.

That seems like such a "big" problem. But maybe there just aren't that
many cable users of this router. Who else would really know? If someone
had DHCP trouble on an internal network, they would probably just assign a
static address and forget about it.

So it does work for four days until the lease expires?
If I were you, I'd just set a static address equal to the one assigned by
the DHCP when it worked. That should really work fine. Even after it
expires, it won't be reissued as long as your router is still alive and
responding to ping at that address. I've heard that some ISPs go out of
their way to detect the use of expired addresses, but I'd worry about that
after it happened.

You would have to set your router to respond to WAN pings.
You might even try that first, to see if it magically fixes the DHCP.

--
---
June 12, 2004 6:02:01 PM

In article <uIvxc.18762$IQ2.9470731
@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, "Ron Bandes"
<RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> says...
> Cablevision's Optimum Online is exactly the same. The sharper technicians
> there don't even ask me if I have a router; they see it.

So turn on "BLOCK WAN REQUEST" and they won't see it.

> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
>
> "Stevef" <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote in message
> > FYI - Comcast doesn't support routers, only cable modems. If you call for
> > support, one of the first questions is 'Do you have a router?' and if so,
> > please connect your PC directly into the cable modem and exclude the
> router
> > from the situation. They don't object to using a router, they just don't
> > want to be involved in troubleshooting it.

June 12, 2004 6:22:45 PM

In article <KPKdnUuiteCNQFTdRVn-vg@comcast.com>,
news@stevefarthing.junk says...
> Only for an hour during that quick test I did using the 1 hour lease. In
> normal use, the router works quite well other than won't renew the lease
> from my ISP (Comcast). That is a 4 day lease, still tolerable. Yes,
> current firmware v2.42. Thanks.

I have firmaware 2.37 and don't have thoes issues.
My wan ip address always stays the same and I don't
pay for static ip address.

> "Kevin" <kebuchan@c_eh_n_eh_d_eh.com> wrote in message
> news:D _jyc.8806$_V4.1767@read1.cgocable.net...
> > Steve,
> >
> > So basically you boot up and are connected for an hour then youre internet
> > connection is useless (freezes up).
> >
> > Interesting. I wonder if it's just your router. DI-624 is listed as the
> > most popular router out there in its class.
> >
> > Did you apply all the patches? I'm assuming you did as one of them is a
> > DHCP patch.
> >
> > Kevin
> >
> > "Stevef" <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote in message
> > news:o 6-dnaIEQ4BHkFTdRVn-jw@comcast.com...
> > >
> > > <dold@D-LinkXadm.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
> > setting
> > > a 1
> > > address

> > > here.
> > >
> > > No renewal entries in the log file and the IP address stops working -
> > can't
> > > be pinged. If you manually renew or reboot the router, it logs messages
> > > when it requests and receives an IP address. Upon expiration, there were
> > no
> > > renewal messages in the log.

> > > Must be a factor.

> > > Probably.

> > > Maybe more people are having trouble but haven't figured it out. ( Look
> at
> > > how long it took doctors to figure out just to wash their hands before
> > > surgery. And they resisted the evidence.) The evidence here is that
> > mine
> > > won't renew and D-Link agrees it does not have the capability. It is
> > > curious how many think it does. So maybe there is still some
> unidentified
> > > setup option that makes the difference. Or D-Link slipstreams their
> > > firmware versions so the same version number could have different
> versions
> > > that have been released. Who knows. I am still curious to find out for
> > > sure. Although, with a four day lease from Comcast, I don't clicking on
> > the
> > > renew button every once in awhile. But it still seems like it should be
> > > automatic for the router.

Anonymous
June 12, 2004 7:53:49 PM

It's good to know there's no inherent problem with the DI-624. I was going
to buy one, then thought I'd look around, especially if their DHCP routines
are messed up.

Thanks,

Kevin

"Five" <Niko@fiveminutesof____.com> wrote in message
> In article <KPKdnUuiteCNQFTdRVn-vg@comcast.com>,
> news@stevefarthing.junk says...
> > Only for an hour during that quick test I did using the 1 hour lease.
In
> > normal use, the router works quite well other than won't renew the lease
> > from my ISP (Comcast). That is a 4 day lease, still tolerable. Yes,
> > current firmware v2.42. Thanks.
> >

> I have firmaware 2.37 and don't have thoes issues.
> My wan ip address always stays the same and I don't
> pay for static ip address.
>

> > "Kevin" <kebuchan@c_eh_n_eh_d_eh.com> wrote in message
> > news:D _jyc.8806$_V4.1767@read1.cgocable.net...
> > > Steve,
> > >
> > > So basically you boot up and are connected for an hour then youre
internet
> > > connection is useless (freezes up).
> > >
> > > Interesting. I wonder if it's just your router. DI-624 is listed as
the
> > > most popular router out there in its class.
> > >
> > > Did you apply all the patches? I'm assuming you did as one of them
is a
> > > DHCP patch.
> > >
> > > Kevin
> > >
> > > "Stevef" <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote in message
> > > news:o 6-dnaIEQ4BHkFTdRVn-jw@comcast.com...

> > > setting
IP

> > > can't
> > > no

Look
> > at
> > > mine
> > unidentified
> > versions
> > > the

Anonymous
June 14, 2004 9:25:42 PM

dold@d-linkxadm.usenet.us.com wrote:
> Stevef <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote:
>> It would be great if D-Link actually displayed the lease expiration time for
>> the DI-624. That would shed a lot of light on this situation. But they

I discovered two things today about my SMC router connected to a Surfboard
4100 cable modem.

It wasn't playing nice. The internet seemed to be fine, then dfreeze, then
fine, as if the cable modem were having some trouble. I brought up the log
at http://192.168.100.1/logs.html expecting to see some reboots.
There was one, but about an hour ago.

I looked at the SMC router logs, and I can see the DHCP address renweal
occuring every two days, just as expected (one half of the lease time).

06/12/2004 19:19:59 DHCP Client: Receive Ack from 12.223.4.34,Lease time=345600

I did a release/renew. I picked up the same IP address, but now the
internet access seems to be much more stable.

What does that mean? In my case, release/renew "fixes" something that a
regular DHCP renewal doesn't seem to affect.

--
---