Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Erroneous Notepad (X2) at Startup

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 7:57:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have two (2) identical notepads at startup. I have not been able to find
the source. They are delaying my boot and are very annoying.

Both read as follows:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787

Does anybody know why this is or how to solve it. I have run all kinds of
tests, searched for a solution, etc., but cannot find an answer to this
question.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You - Jennfier
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 9:33:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Notepad Starts With "[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\System32\Shell32.dll,-21787" When You
Start Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330132

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:64EFFD98-1D7A-46DC-8C6C-859655CEDDA8@microsoft.com,
jsperfect1 <jsperfect1@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have two (2) identical notepads at startup. I have not been able to
> find the source. They are delaying my boot and are very annoying.
>
> Both read as follows:
>
> [.ShellClassInfo]
> LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787
>
> Does anybody know why this is or how to solve it. I have run all kinds of
> tests, searched for a solution, etc., but cannot find an answer to this
> question.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank You - Jennfier
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 12:01:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Wes,

Thanks for the info. Trying Method 1, I got a warning from my computer
saying that it might render my system inoperable. So I abandoned Method 1
and used Method 2. I had actually tried this before but did not realize that
upon restart, when I was prompted to put my system back in normal startup,
(it now starts in selective mode) that it would undo the changes that I
intentionally made. So, I have disabled four (4) startup programs and so far
everything seems to be just fine. No more pop up notepads. Thank you for
your assistance.

Jennifer

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Notepad Starts With "[.ShellClassInfo]
> LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\System32\Shell32.dll,-21787" When You
> Start Your Computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330132
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:64EFFD98-1D7A-46DC-8C6C-859655CEDDA8@microsoft.com,
> jsperfect1 <jsperfect1@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I have two (2) identical notepads at startup. I have not been able to
> > find the source. They are delaying my boot and are very annoying.
> >
> > Both read as follows:
> >
> > [.ShellClassInfo]
> > LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787
> >
> > Does anybody know why this is or how to solve it. I have run all kinds of
> > tests, searched for a solution, etc., but cannot find an answer to this
> > question.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thank You - Jennfier
>
>
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 1:38:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Jennifer,

All you had to do for Method 1 was click Yes. Deleting a desktop.ini file
is no big deal. Desktop.ini files are considered system files.

[[4. b.
If the file contains these lines, right-click the file, click Delete, and
then click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the deletion.]]
From...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330132

The message...

[[Confirm Delete
The file 'desktop.ini' is a system file.

If you remove it, your computer or one of your programs may no
longer work correctly. Are you sure you want to move it to the
Recycle Bin?]]

is a standard message that appears when you try to delete any system file.
It is less threatening then it sounds. The bark is worse then the bite.

Deleting desktop.ini files from any of these folders
drive:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
drive:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
drive:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
will not cause your computer to break or one of your programs to blow up.

I hope that I have reassured you that deleting any of those three
desktop.ini files is not a problem. Also, if you were to customize any of
those folders, i.e. change the icon that represents the folder, a new
desktop.ini file will automatically be recreated.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:4D9CD494-6FAD-46F3-9ED7-0A9807CC28A1@microsoft.com,
jsperfect1 <jsperfect1@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wes,
>
> Thanks for the info. Trying Method 1, I got a warning from my computer
> saying that it might render my system inoperable. So I abandoned Method 1
> and used Method 2. I had actually tried this before but did not realize
> that upon restart, when I was prompted to put my system back in normal
> startup, (it now starts in selective mode) that it would undo the changes
> that I intentionally made. So, I have disabled four (4) startup programs
> and so far everything seems to be just fine. No more pop up notepads.
> Thank you for your assistance.
>
> Jennifer
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Notepad Starts With "[.ShellClassInfo]
>> LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\System32\Shell32.dll,-21787" When You
>> Start Your Computer
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330132
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:64EFFD98-1D7A-46DC-8C6C-859655CEDDA8@microsoft.com,
>> jsperfect1 <jsperfect1@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I have two (2) identical notepads at startup. I have not been able to
>>> find the source. They are delaying my boot and are very annoying.
>>>
>>> Both read as follows:
>>>
>>> [.ShellClassInfo]
>>> LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787
>>>
>>> Does anybody know why this is or how to solve it. I have run all kinds
>>> of tests, searched for a solution, etc., but cannot find an answer to
>>> this question.
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thank You - Jennfier
!