Error 1606: REG_SZ or REG_EXPAND_SZ?

First of all, hello.

I've been having problems with installing programs for a few days:
whenever I start an installation (any) an error pops up:

- Error 1606:Cannot reach network location %USERPROFILE%\Start
Menu\Programs\Startup\-

I've searched Microsoft Knowledge Base and it says that registry
subkey:

-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders-

had a wrong value, -REG_SZ- instead of -REG_EXPAND_SZ-.

I'm about to fix it, but I'm not really sure. My last attempt resulted
in half of the start menu getting wiped out. So, could anybody tell me
how to back up the registry? (It's kind of irrelevent to what I've said
till this moment ) :eek: And tell me wheter to do it or not.

By the way, my Windows is not English, so I may have written some stuff
wrong.

Thanks in advance.

--
MrBird

Backing up the selected branch of the registry by exporting.

This method is preferred if you're making changes to a specific key/area of
the registry. To backup a selected branch/key in the registry, try this:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK
Locate and then click the key that contains the value that you want to edit
On the File menu, click Export.
In the Save in box, select a location where you want to save the
Registration Entries (.reg)
In the File name box, type a file name, and then click Save.

Reset the Shell Folders paths to defaults:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/usershellfolders.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User