just wanna learn something new

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This isn't really important, just a matter of curiosity. I'm sort of new to setting up a network. Lets say I have 2 PCs and I want to network them using a switch to share an internet connection. I know about the hardware connections but how do I set up WinXP pro for file sharing internally while preventing outsiders from accessing my network through the net?

:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink:

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Your switch have an uplink port? Would have to put your internet connection into that and set up ICS on the main comptuer, pretty sure that will work. You can run ics by right clicking on network places-->properties then running the Network setup wizard.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
if you want to share an internet connection with just a switch, your isp has to give out two ip addresses, most dont. there are two alternatives, first, use one computer to share, this requires two nics in that computer. second get a dsl router (easyest)

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Won't work if you just hook up the main one first through the switch and after you get ics running plug in the other one?

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
basicaly all ics is doing is connecting two networks, the main computer would have to get an external wan ip address, the other computer will need to get an internal ip, they wont talk to eachother.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Maybe the main one will grab the cable connection or whatever if it's the only one hooked up, who knows =). Maybe i'm just thinking of the second nic going to a hub to ics to more than 1 other pc.

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well I don't have a switch actually. In fact I don't plan to network my PCs because one is a T-bird and the other is an old and slow pentium. I just wanted to get some know-how. Thanks anyway.

:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink: