Powers on but won't boot

jeff

When I turn on the computer it powers on. The hard drive seems to be
spinning but no signal to the monitor. The motherboard seems to have power
because the heat sink on the chip is hot. The fan at the rear of the case
doesn't spin but the power supply fan works. The light on the power switch
is on but the second light starts for about 30 seconds and goes out. Any
suggestions? Does this have anything to do with the CMOS battery? It is
the original. Dimension D-300. Thanks Jeff

"Jeff" <Jeff@nospam.com> wrote in news:5ucxe.116$8F.18@fe11.lga:

> When I turn on the computer it powers on. The hard drive seems to be
> spinning but no signal to the monitor. The motherboard seems to have
> power because the heat sink on the chip is hot. The fan at the rear
> of the case doesn't spin but the power supply fan works. The light on
> the power switch is on but the second light starts for about 30
> seconds and goes out. Any suggestions? Does this have anything to do
> with the CMOS battery? It is the original. Dimension D-300. Thanks
> Jeff

The D300, if I recall correctly, is vintage '98 or '99 ?

I'd replace the CR2032 battery anyway just on general principle. They're
only about $3 or $4. They are SUPPOSED to be good for 10 years
theoretically, but in actual usage I would presume somewhat less.

I have HEARD that there are some Dells that won't boot at all if the CMOS
battery is bad, but I've never actually seen this myself. What I typically
see with a dead battery is that it boots right into CMOS setup with an
"invalid configuration" error.

- FM -

Just a thought but if the CPU fan is not running on the back of the case,
that may be a problem. I am not sure about the older Dimensions but the 3rd
wire verifies that the fan is spinning. If that verification is not assured,
the system will not run. The Dell support site has a ton of information
including service and troubleshooting manuals for the D300.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dalex/Docs.htm

Regards,
John O.

"Fred Mau" <fred-dot-mau@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "Jeff" <Jeff@nospam.com> wrote in news:5ucxe.116$8F.18@fe11.lga:
>
>> When I turn on the computer it powers on. The hard drive seems to be
>> spinning but no signal to the monitor. The motherboard seems to have
>> power because the heat sink on the chip is hot. The fan at the rear
>> of the case doesn't spin but the power supply fan works. The light on
>> the power switch is on but the second light starts for about 30
>> seconds and goes out. Any suggestions? Does this have anything to do
>> with the CMOS battery? It is the original. Dimension D-300. Thanks
>> Jeff
>>

> The D300, if I recall correctly, is vintage '98 or '99 ?
>
> I'd replace the CR2032 battery anyway just on general principle. They're
> only about $3 or $4. They are SUPPOSED to be good for 10 years
> theoretically, but in actual usage I would presume somewhat less.
>
> I have HEARD that there are some Dells that won't boot at all if the CMOS
> battery is bad, but I've never actually seen this myself. What I typically
> see with a dead battery is that it boots right into CMOS setup with an
> "invalid configuration" error.
>
> - FM -

jeff

Thanks I seem to have located the problem. I re seated the video card, it
took a few times but now everything seems ok. I noticed some lines on the
monitor and that clued me in to think it was the problem. I even replaced
the card with another one I had but didn't solve the problem until I found
the right spot. Jeff