Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

A-GPS Software Upgrade warning.

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 11:49:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

For those of you who have, or are about to receive, the FedX'd package
to upgrade your Motorola/Nextel iDen phone. Be very careful during the
A-GPS software upgrade. This upgrade is to fix a software issue with
the A-GPS (Assisted Global Positioning System) and the E911 protocols.
This only effects the i58sr, i88s, i205, i305, i530, i710, i730, i733,
i736, and the i830 iden phones.

Motorola sent with the package a non-warranted data cable. This is one
of there special limited use one time type cables. If you use this data
cable and you do not have this cable correctly fasten to your phone it
could pop loose during the software upgrade. If this happens you will
have to call the supplied Motorola 800 #, tell the tech/rep what
happened, and wait 24/48 hours for Motorola to ""Fast Ship"" you a
replacement iden phone to match the one that just got screwed.

I would suggest that if you do this upgrade yourself, that you do so in
the morning hours that would match the Motorola M-F 9a-8p EST time zone
work hours. Because if you have problems, it stands to reason that you
*might* get a replacement phone by the next day. If not you could be
with out service for 2 to 3 days.

Why am I telling all of you this? Because, I thought I had the cable
fastened correctly but almost half way through the upgrade, the cable
popped off! Now, I am sitting here with a dead i730. And I am not a
very happy camper!

If you already have a good data cable, use it, not the supplied piece of
s__* that is sent. But still take care that it does not come off. Or
you too could be waiting just like me.

JDa
November 30, 2004 5:57:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

JDa? <jda1951@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<SiQqd.39676$fY.37505@bignews3.bellsouth.net>...
> For those of you who have, or are about to receive, the FedX'd package
> to upgrade your Motorola/Nextel iDen phone. Be very careful during the
> A-GPS software upgrade. This upgrade is to fix a software issue with
> the A-GPS (Assisted Global Positioning System) and the E911 protocols.
> This only effects the i58sr, i88s, i205, i305, i530, i710, i730, i733,
> i736, and the i830 iden phones.
>
> Motorola sent with the package a non-warranted data cable. This is one
> of there special limited use one time type cables. If you use this data
> cable and you do not have this cable correctly fasten to your phone it
> could pop loose during the software upgrade. If this happens you will
> have to call the supplied Motorola 800 #, tell the tech/rep what
> happened, and wait 24/48 hours for Motorola to ""Fast Ship"" you a
> replacement iden phone to match the one that just got screwed.
>
> I would suggest that if you do this upgrade yourself, that you do so in
> the morning hours that would match the Motorola M-F 9a-8p EST time zone
> work hours. Because if you have problems, it stands to reason that you
> *might* get a replacement phone by the next day. If not you could be
> with out service for 2 to 3 days.
>
> Why am I telling all of you this? Because, I thought I had the cable
> fastened correctly but almost half way through the upgrade, the cable
> popped off! Now, I am sitting here with a dead i730. And I am not a
> very happy camper!
>
> If you already have a good data cable, use it, not the supplied piece of
> s__* that is sent. But still take care that it does not come off. Or
> you too could be waiting just like me.
>
> JDa

Fist off Motorola doesn't make a "special limited use one time type
cables". The cable that they supply is the standard data cable that
you can purchase from them or a re-seller. It has the Motorola model
# NKN6559A and can be found for sale here (as an example):

http://www.cellularaccessory.com/nkn6559.html

Sorry to hear that your cable popped off during the upload and I hope
they do right by you, but to spread inaccurate information due to a
mistake on your part doesn't help to solve the real issue here which
is to "make sure the cable is securely fastened to the bottom of the
phone prior to doing the upgrade".

BTW I have done 4 GPS upgrades using the same cable to i730's and
i830's and have had zero issues with the cables or the software.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 12:13:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

MarkF wrote:
> JDa? <jda1951@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<SiQqd.39676$fY.37505@bignews3.bellsouth.net>...
>
>>For those of you who have, or are about to receive, the FedX'd package
>>to upgrade your Motorola/Nextel iDen phone. Be very careful during the
>>A-GPS software upgrade. This upgrade is to fix a software issue with
>>the A-GPS (Assisted Global Positioning System) and the E911 protocols.
>>This only effects the i58sr, i88s, i205, i305, i530, i710, i730, i733,
>>i736, and the i830 iden phones.
>>
>>Motorola sent with the package a non-warranted data cable. This is one
>>of there special limited use one time type cables. If you use this data
>>cable and you do not have this cable correctly fasten to your phone it
>>could pop loose during the software upgrade. If this happens you will
>>have to call the supplied Motorola 800 #, tell the tech/rep what
>>happened, and wait 24/48 hours for Motorola to ""Fast Ship"" you a
>>replacement iden phone to match the one that just got screwed.
>>
>>I would suggest that if you do this upgrade yourself, that you do so in
>>the morning hours that would match the Motorola M-F 9a-8p EST time zone
>>work hours. Because if you have problems, it stands to reason that you
>>*might* get a replacement phone by the next day. If not you could be
>>with out service for 2 to 3 days.
>>
>>Why am I telling all of you this? Because, I thought I had the cable
>>fastened correctly but almost half way through the upgrade, the cable
>>popped off! Now, I am sitting here with a dead i730. And I am not a
>>very happy camper!
>>
>>If you already have a good data cable, use it, not the supplied piece of
>>s__* that is sent. But still take care that it does not come off. Or
>>you too could be waiting just like me.
>>
>>JDa
>
>
> Fist off Motorola doesn't make a "special limited use one time type
> cables". The cable that they supply is the standard data cable that
> you can purchase from them or a re-seller. It has the Motorola model
> # NKN6559A and can be found for sale here (as an example):

Mark, Sorry to say you are wrong. The cable Motorola shipping is
model: # NNTN5970A
The Motorola Tech/Rep informed me of this limited use cable.

Even tho I have the NKN6559A cable, I used the one they supplied,
thinking it was a newer type cable. Both cable models are wired
the same. The only difference is that the 5970A has *not* gone
through the quality control procedures that the 6559A has.

>
> http://www.cellularaccessory.com/nkn6559.html
>
> Sorry to hear that your cable popped off during the upload and I hope
> they do right by you, but to spread inaccurate information due to a
> mistake on your part doesn't help to solve the real issue here which
> is to "make sure the cable is securely fastened to the bottom of the
> phone prior to doing the upgrade".
>
> BTW I have done 4 GPS upgrades using the same cable to i730's and
> i830's and have had zero issues with the cables or the software.

Oh I believe you. I've used my 6559A cable to download ring tones,
programs, and different wallpapers any time the mood hits me.

By the way do you know if the newsgroup can receive binary data.
I have some 200+ wallpapers in the 130x130 pixel format that the
i710, i73x series can use. I made them from images I've collected
from the alt. sci-fiction and wallpaper groups.

I think i'll try downloading a couple later today.

JDa
Related resources
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 7:02:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

This morning at 9:45am EST, FedX pulled into my driveway and delivered
a brand new Motorola/iDen i730 phone. And I do mean new! All I had to
do was install my battery and battery cover. And away I went.

Not even 12 hrs had passed, from the time I called Motorola Customer
Service, and I am now good to go. WOW!
New hardware card, upgraded OS and upgraded A-GPS. Now if it was only
that easy in the 1st place.

So much for my fears. Way to go Motorola.

Now if they will still let me enter the contest for the new 2005
Cadillac Escalades?

JDa™


JDa™ wrote:
>
>
> MarkF wrote:
>
>> JDa? <jda1951@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> news:<SiQqd.39676$fY.37505@bignews3.bellsouth.net>...
>>
>>> For those of you who have, or are about to receive, the FedX'd
>>> package to upgrade your Motorola/Nextel iDen phone. Be very careful
>>> during the A-GPS software upgrade. This upgrade is to fix a software
>>> issue with the A-GPS (Assisted Global Positioning System) and the
>>> E911 protocols.
>>> This only effects the i58sr, i88s, i205, i305, i530, i710, i730,
>>> i733, i736, and the i830 iden phones.
>>>
>>> Motorola sent with the package a non-warranted data cable. This is
>>> one of there special limited use one time type cables. If you use
>>> this data cable and you do not have this cable correctly fasten to
>>> your phone it could pop loose during the software upgrade. If this
>>> happens you will have to call the supplied Motorola 800 #, tell the
>>> tech/rep what happened, and wait 24/48 hours for Motorola to ""Fast
>>> Ship"" you a replacement iden phone to match the one that just got
>>> screwed.
>>>
>>> I would suggest that if you do this upgrade yourself, that you do so
>>> in the morning hours that would match the Motorola M-F 9a-8p EST time
>>> zone work hours. Because if you have problems, it stands to reason
>>> that you *might* get a replacement phone by the next day. If not you
>>> could be with out service for 2 to 3 days.
>>>
>>> Why am I telling all of you this? Because, I thought I had the cable
>>> fastened correctly but almost half way through the upgrade, the cable
>>> popped off! Now, I am sitting here with a dead i730. And I am not a
>>> very happy camper!
>>>
>>> If you already have a good data cable, use it, not the supplied piece
>>> of s__* that is sent. But still take care that it does not come
>>> off. Or you too could be waiting just like me.
>>>
>>> JDa
>>
>>
>>
>> Fist off Motorola doesn't make a "special limited use one time type
>> cables". The cable that they supply is the standard data cable that
>> you can purchase from them or a re-seller. It has the Motorola model
>> # NKN6559A and can be found for sale here (as an example):
>
>
> Mark, Sorry to say you are wrong. The cable Motorola shipping is
> model: # NNTN5970A
> The Motorola Tech/Rep informed me of this limited use cable.
>
> Even tho I have the NKN6559A cable, I used the one they supplied,
> thinking it was a newer type cable. Both cable models are wired
> the same. The only difference is that the 5970A has *not* gone
> through the quality control procedures that the 6559A has.
>
>>
>> http://www.cellularaccessory.com/nkn6559.html
>>
>> Sorry to hear that your cable popped off during the upload and I hope
>> they do right by you, but to spread inaccurate information due to a
>> mistake on your part doesn't help to solve the real issue here which
>> is to "make sure the cable is securely fastened to the bottom of the
>> phone prior to doing the upgrade".
>>
>> BTW I have done 4 GPS upgrades using the same cable to i730's and
>> i830's and have had zero issues with the cables or the software.
>
>
> Oh I believe you. I've used my 6559A cable to download ring tones,
> programs, and different wallpapers any time the mood hits me.
>
> By the way do you know if the newsgroup can receive binary data.
> I have some 200+ wallpapers in the 130x130 pixel format that the
> i710, i73x series can use. I made them from images I've collected
> from the alt. sci-fiction and wallpaper groups.
>
> I think i'll try downloading a couple later today.
>
> JDa
November 30, 2004 7:18:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

JDa? <jda1951@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<mb%qd.1000$Dm2.681@bignews1.bellsouth.net>...
> MarkF wrote:
> > JDa? <jda1951@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<SiQqd.39676$fY.37505@bignews3.bellsouth.net>...
> >
> >>For those of you who have, or are about to receive, the FedX'd package
> >>to upgrade your Motorola/Nextel iDen phone. Be very careful during the
> >>A-GPS software upgrade. This upgrade is to fix a software issue with
> >>the A-GPS (Assisted Global Positioning System) and the E911 protocols.
> >>This only effects the i58sr, i88s, i205, i305, i530, i710, i730, i733,
> >>i736, and the i830 iden phones.
> >>
> >>Motorola sent with the package a non-warranted data cable. This is one
> >>of there special limited use one time type cables. If you use this data
> >>cable and you do not have this cable correctly fasten to your phone it
> >>could pop loose during the software upgrade. If this happens you will
> >>have to call the supplied Motorola 800 #, tell the tech/rep what
> >>happened, and wait 24/48 hours for Motorola to ""Fast Ship"" you a
> >>replacement iden phone to match the one that just got screwed.
> >>
> >>I would suggest that if you do this upgrade yourself, that you do so in
> >>the morning hours that would match the Motorola M-F 9a-8p EST time zone
> >>work hours. Because if you have problems, it stands to reason that you
> >>*might* get a replacement phone by the next day. If not you could be
> >>with out service for 2 to 3 days.
> >>
> >>Why am I telling all of you this? Because, I thought I had the cable
> >>fastened correctly but almost half way through the upgrade, the cable
> >>popped off! Now, I am sitting here with a dead i730. And I am not a
> >>very happy camper!
> >>
> >>If you already have a good data cable, use it, not the supplied piece of
> >>s__* that is sent. But still take care that it does not come off. Or
> >>you too could be waiting just like me.
> >>
> >>JDa
> >
> >
> > Fist off Motorola doesn't make a "special limited use one time type
> > cables". The cable that they supply is the standard data cable that
> > you can purchase from them or a re-seller. It has the Motorola model
> > # NKN6559A and can be found for sale here (as an example):
>
> Mark, Sorry to say you are wrong. The cable Motorola shipping is
> model: # NNTN5970A
> The Motorola Tech/Rep informed me of this limited use cable.
>
> Even tho I have the NKN6559A cable, I used the one they supplied,
> thinking it was a newer type cable. Both cable models are wired
> the same. The only difference is that the 5970A has *not* gone
> through the quality control procedures that the 6559A has.
>
> >
> > http://www.cellularaccessory.com/nkn6559.html
> >
> > Sorry to hear that your cable popped off during the upload and I hope
> > they do right by you, but to spread inaccurate information due to a
> > mistake on your part doesn't help to solve the real issue here which
> > is to "make sure the cable is securely fastened to the bottom of the
> > phone prior to doing the upgrade".
> >
> > BTW I have done 4 GPS upgrades using the same cable to i730's and
> > i830's and have had zero issues with the cables or the software.
>
> Oh I believe you. I've used my 6559A cable to download ring tones,
> programs, and different wallpapers any time the mood hits me.
>
> By the way do you know if the newsgroup can receive binary data.
> I have some 200+ wallpapers in the 130x130 pixel format that the
> i710, i73x series can use. I made them from images I've collected
> from the alt. sci-fiction and wallpaper groups.
>
> I think i'll try downloading a couple later today.
>
> JDa

Thanks for the # on the cable. I'm suprised that you received that
type
of cable from Moto. With the possibility of crashing the phone you
would think
they would send the higher quality one to reduce the possibility of
this. Of the 4 kits I have seen over the last few months they were
received with 6559A cable....bummer if they are sending shoddy cables
now as a cost cutting measure.

The only place that I have seen images uploaded is HowardForums.com.
I usually make my own like you and typicially don't d/l from sites.

Regards
Mark
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 11:51:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

MarkF wrote:
> JDa? <jda1951@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<mb%qd.1000$Dm2.681@bignews1.bellsouth.net>...
>
>>MarkF wrote:
>>
>>>JDa? <jda1951@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<SiQqd.39676$fY.37505@bignews3.bellsouth.net>...
>>>
>>>
>>
>>By the way do you know if the newsgroup can receive binary data.
>>I have some 200+ wallpapers in the 130x130 pixel format that the
>>i710, i73x series can use. I made them from images I've collected
>>from the alt. sci-fiction and wallpaper groups.
>>
>>I think i'll try downloading a couple later today.
>>
>>JDa
>
>
> Thanks for the # on the cable. I'm suprised that you received that
> type
> of cable from Moto. With the possibility of crashing the phone you
> would think
> they would send the higher quality one to reduce the possibility of
> this. Of the 4 kits I have seen over the last few months they were
> received with 6559A cable....bummer if they are sending shoddy cables
> now as a cost cutting measure.
>
> The only place that I have seen images uploaded is HowardForums.com.
> I usually make my own like you and typicially don't d/l from sites.
>
> Regards
> Mark

Yea, its got to be a cost reduction thing. After all if you are not
going to fully test the cable it will cost less! Well live an learn

Question very you able to see the 4 pic's i downloaded?

JDa
!