Going to order soon, want some opnions (Still Raid ? also)

I'm getting closer to placing my order for a new Dell. Now I see the 8400 is
gone?! Does the 9100 Bios support Raid like the 8400 does? What's the "new"
8400? I see it can't be the 5100 as it does not have the 533Ram?
If I order real soon I'm leaning toward the 9100 SB version, "free" 20"
widescreen LCD, 3.0HT, 1G ram, 160HD, 128 Video, HP home for $1239 w/$100
MIR, Add $120 to go 160HD RAID 1
Or a EPP 9100, 3HT, 1G ram, 128 Vide, XPMCE, 19"CRT, 160G $1264 Add $120
for 160 Raid
So Major differences are 20" ultrasharp widescreen LCD - 19" Crt, XP home -
MCE, 1yr war - 3yr,
Same: 3.0HT, 1G ram@533, 160Ghd, 128Video, DVDr, intergrated sound, firewire

Questions:
1) In a Raid 1 configuration, can I have a separate 3rd HD? example get the
included 80G, buy my own 2*160G's can I raid the 160's and have a separate
80G?

2) How hard is onboard audio to disable to add my own card?

Thanks
Bryan
9 answers Last reply
More about going order soon opnions still raid also

    "Bryan" <bryanw20@remove.sbcglobal.net> wrote in
    > Questions:
    > 1) In a Raid 1 configuration, can I have a separate 3rd HD? example
    > get the included 80G, buy my own 2*160G's can I raid the 160's and
    > have a separate 80G?

    Yes you can. You just wouldn't include the 80G in the raid1 "container"
    when you set it up.

    But does this machine have room for three hard drives ? If it's like my
    8100, the HDD bracket holds 2. You have to get into PowerEdge territory
    to find a HDD bracket for 3 (i.e., my PE 1400SC) unless you want to use
    up a 5-1/4" bay and have an adapter bracket.

    - FM -

    "Bryan" <bryanw20@remove.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > I'm getting closer to placing my order for a new Dell. Now I see the 8400
    > is gone?! Does the 9100 Bios support Raid like the 8400 does? What's the
    > "new" 8400? I see it can't be the 5100 as it does not have the 533Ram?
    > If I order real soon I'm leaning toward the 9100 SB version, "free" 20"
    > widescreen LCD, 3.0HT, 1G ram, 160HD, 128 Video, HP home for $1239 w/$100
    > MIR, Add $120 to go 160HD RAID 1
    > Or a EPP 9100, 3HT, 1G ram, 128 Vide, XPMCE, 19"CRT, 160G $1264 Add $120
    > for 160 Raid
    > So Major differences are 20" ultrasharp widescreen LCD - 19" Crt, XP
    > home - MCE, 1yr war - 3yr,
    > Same: 3.0HT, 1G ram@533, 160Ghd, 128Video, DVDr, intergrated sound,
    > firewire
    >
    > Questions:
    > 1) In a Raid 1 configuration, can I have a separate 3rd HD? example get
    > the included 80G, buy my own 2*160G's can I raid the 160's and have a
    > separate 80G?
    >
    > 2) How hard is onboard audio to disable to add my own card?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bryan

    Sorry to give you something you prolly don't want to hear but, ........
    .........Don't buy from DELL.

    Find someone else.

    All facets of their support after the sell is substandard at the present.

    fathergoose

    "Fathergoose" <mothergoose_enb@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "Bryan" <bryanw20@remove.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> I'm getting closer to placing my order for a new Dell. Now I see the 8400
    >> is gone?! Does the 9100 Bios support Raid like the 8400 does? What's the
    >> "new" 8400? I see it can't be the 5100 as it does not have the 533Ram?
    >> If I order real soon I'm leaning toward the 9100 SB version, "free" 20"
    >> widescreen LCD, 3.0HT, 1G ram, 160HD, 128 Video, HP home for $1239 w/$100
    >> MIR, Add $120 to go 160HD RAID 1
    >> Or a EPP 9100, 3HT, 1G ram, 128 Vide, XPMCE, 19"CRT, 160G $1264 Add $120
    >> for 160 Raid
    >> So Major differences are 20" ultrasharp widescreen LCD - 19" Crt, XP
    >> home - MCE, 1yr war - 3yr,
    >> Same: 3.0HT, 1G ram@533, 160Ghd, 128Video, DVDr, intergrated sound,
    >> firewire
    >>
    >> Questions:
    >> 1) In a Raid 1 configuration, can I have a separate 3rd HD? example get
    >> the included 80G, buy my own 2*160G's can I raid the 160's and have a
    >> separate 80G?
    >>
    >> 2) How hard is onboard audio to disable to add my own card?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Bryan
    >>
    > Sorry to give you something you prolly don't want to hear but, ........
    > ........Don't buy from DELL.
    >
    > Find someone else.
    >
    > All facets of their support after the sell is substandard at the present.
    >
    > fathergoose

    (quote) "All facets of their support after the sell is substandard at the
    present."

    Not sure what ax you have to grind, but to blurt out such a statement
    without specificity gives you *zero* credibility so far as I'm concerned.

    I've used both overseas and domestic tech support from Dell within the last
    18 mos., and my experience with that has been from good to excellent.

    That said, I had a recent experience with overseas *spare parts department
    and customer service* that was botched badly (an external USB keyboard sent
    rather than the asked for 5X486 Inspiron 1100 internal keyboard.) Took three
    phone calls to mop that one up. Even in the case of the latter, the entire
    mess was resolved within a week.

    So to sum up: some bad, some good, and some very good. Hardly "all" bad.
    Please try to stick to the facts.

    meh.

    Stew

    > "Fathergoose" <mothergoose_enb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bryan" <bryanw20@remove.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>> I'm getting closer to placing my order for a new Dell.>

    > Not sure what ax you have to grind, but to blurt out such a statement
    > without specificity gives you *zero* credibility so far as I'm concerned.
    > So to sum up: some bad, some good, and some very good. Hardly "all" bad.
    > Please try to stick to the facts.
    >
    > meh.
    >
    > Stew

    The facts as "I" see them.
    From my own experience.
    I have owned three DELL computers and have seen the support after the sale
    go downhill from the first one purchased in 1997. In 1997 DELL had good
    support but they have done some things to cut costs and it shows.
    I have called technical support customer service and ordered spare parts
    from them.
    In fact our company IT dept. says that the business sales division of DELL
    had so many complaints about the support after the sale that they changed
    back to the original support design for after the sale for the business
    customers. A documented fact as far as I know.
    From tech support to customer service to spare parts though for the other
    sales divisions it has gotten pretty bad.

    This is not a long winded diatribe but simply my personal experience with
    DELL.
    I think they make a pretty good box but, man o man, look out after the sale
    for poor service in various ways.

    These are my facts and just because I didn't go into all of the details
    doesn't make them not true.

    Of course, "all" bad may not have been exactly correct but, in the sense of
    generally speaking, DELL support after the sale has gone from a good thing
    to a bad thing. A person can of course have an occasional good sprinkled in
    with the "mostly" bad.

    I stand by my statement.

    Don't buy a DELL because their service after the sale for the home customer
    has gone bad over the last few years and I feel that you can be better
    served elsewhere. There are to many other choices out there to simply go
    DELL without some shopping around.

    So to sum up my experiences with DELL; it is very few good mostly bad and
    some real bad, in the past 4 to 5 years.

    fathergoose

    "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote
    And I don't ask sarcastically, but in complete sincerity.
    ===============
    LOL

    Not interested in getting into a shouting match with you.

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote
    > And I don't ask sarcastically, but in complete sincerity.
    > ===============
    > LOL
    >
    > Not interested in getting into a shouting match with you.
    > fathergoose

    But he asked a sincere question. Who do you recommend as superior to Dell?
    HP? Gateway?

    What is YOUR experience. We'd like to know

    Tom

    > "Fathergoose" <mothergoose_enb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote
    >> And I don't ask sarcastically, but in complete sincerity.
    >> ===============
    >> LOL
    >>
    >> Not interested in getting into a shouting match with you.
    >> fathergoose
    >>

    > But he asked a sincere question. Who do you recommend as superior to Dell?
    > HP? Gateway?
    >
    > What is YOUR experience. We'd like to know
    >
    > Tom

    Was I shouting? I was simply asking for the poster's recommended solution -
    which from his post, I assume he's found.

    The poster is an IT guy, so I just wanted to know what alternatives he/they
    had chosen.

    Stew

    And your responses make you appear to be nothing more than a troll.

    "Fathergoose" <mothergoose_enb@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote
    > And I don't ask sarcastically, but in complete sincerity.
    > LOL
    >
    > Not interested in getting into a shouting match with you.
    > fathergoose

Dell NAS / RAID Computers