DI-614+ and 2wire home portal

Magnus

Well,

the d-link is connected to the 2wire using a standard cat5 cable, from
the 2wire ethernet port to the d-link's WAN port.

We then have 2 clients connecting wirelessly to the d-link. The clients
can surf the web, but something is not right.

I can't for example, upload pictures to online discussion forums. My
"software update" on my mac gives me some sort of network error message,
and sending email has become flaky. Sometimes it sends, sometimes not.

It would seem that certain outgoing traffic is being blocked, and I'm
thinking that it's the connection between the two routers. I have tried
to have the d-link receive it's WAN ip automatically as well as used
static IP, same story with both settings.

The 2wire's IP is 172.16.0.1 and it handed the d-link the IP 172.16.1.36
maybe that's an issue.

The clients connecting wirelessly to the d-link all receive their IPs
via the d-link's DHCP server in the range 192.168.1.100-199

If I connect directly to the 2wire I can use the web as normal, and
software update works again.

Any suggestions here?

IP addresses beginning with 172 belong to Class B networks, which have a
default subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. This means that two addresses are in
the same network as long as the first two octets (bytes) match. The last
two octets can be anything except 0.0 or 255.255. Check the subnet mask
assigned by the 2wire to the D-Link. Is it the default mask above, or
something else?

As for blocking certain traffic, check the log in the D-Link router.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Magnus" <magnus@medx.se> wrote in message
> Well,
>
> the d-link is connected to the 2wire using a standard cat5 cable, from
> the 2wire ethernet port to the d-link's WAN port.
>
> We then have 2 clients connecting wirelessly to the d-link. The clients
> can surf the web, but something is not right.
>
> I can't for example, upload pictures to online discussion forums. My
> "software update" on my mac gives me some sort of network error message,
> and sending email has become flaky. Sometimes it sends, sometimes not.
>

> It would seem that certain outgoing traffic is being blocked, and I'm
> thinking that it's the connection between the two routers. I have tried
> to have the d-link receive it's WAN ip automatically as well as used
> static IP, same story with both settings.
>
> The 2wire's IP is 172.16.0.1 and it handed the d-link the IP 172.16.1.36
> maybe that's an issue.
>
> The clients connecting wirelessly to the d-link all receive their IPs
> via the d-link's DHCP server in the range 192.168.1.100-199
>
> If I connect directly to the 2wire I can use the web as normal, and
> software update works again.
>
> Any suggestions here?

Magnus

Yes the d-link and 2wire both have the same subnet mask of 255.255.0.0.
I've reset the d-link and reconfigured it so all the filters and
firewall settings are default which should mean that there are nothing
preventing traffic on it.