Reformatting HD to Reinstall Widnows 7

TomG628

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
I suspect my Windows 7 installation is corrupt and I would like to do a fresh new install on a clean HD. What are the steps to properly reformat my HD so that I get a fresh reinstall on a fresh, clean drive?

I tried to reinstall over the old but it seems it installed another Windows 7 installation and saved the old files in "Windows Old". If this is the correct procedure, can the "Old Windows" folder be deleted if it is not needed to save disk space?
However, I would really rather have a single clean install as it was before with no old files. Thanks. Tom

Should be able to do a clean install by booting off the dvd and installing fresh. Should give you drive options to format from there.

yes you can delete windows.old.

^What he said. When you get to the begining where it has the drive you need to clikc on "Advanced" and then select the drive and tell it to "Format". It will ask you to confirm it. That will erase everything.

Then continue with the install as normal and there will be no Windows.Old.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
If you want to remove that Windows.old folder from Drive C: of your Windows installation.
Go to Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Cleanup.
In "Which files to clean up" dialog - Click on "Files from all users on this computer".
Select the Drive where your Windows.old is.
In Disk Cleanup dialog, select Previous Windows installation(s) in the "Files to delete" list. Click on OK.

TomG628

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009

Thanks for the help guys. Tom