Harddrive changed - Can't get XP to start-up???

September 2, 2005 10:00:04 AM

I got myself into a bit of a jam...

I have a computer(running WinXP-Home) that was having some video problems,
so I temporarily removed the primary hard drive from it and put it in another
computer (running Win XP-Pro) so that I could access some of the data files.
In the 2nd computer the hard drive was used merely as a slave.

Well, I fixed the video problem in computer #1 and put the hard drive back
into it, but now Windows XP will not start-up. I tried to use the Windows
XP-Home Disc to boot from to perhaps correct the bootable section of the
drive. For some reason, the CD will only go as far as to a blue screen that
sets "Windows Setup". At that point, the program doesn't go anywhere/do
anything, even after pressing enter.

I would really appreciate any ideas on how I could possibly correct this
problem without needing to do a re-format. Thanks, in advance, for any help.
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 12:09:51 PM

Make sure the HD is back in the original pc, and also that it is connected
just as it was before (eg, as the primary drive). And make sure the cables
are of the right type & connected properly.
If necessary, power off & disconnect any external devices (such as printer,
scanner & any external drives).

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"Dave M." wrote
>I got myself into a bit of a jam...
>
> I have a computer(running WinXP-Home) that was having some video problems,
> so I temporarily removed the primary hard drive from it and put it in
> another
> computer (running Win XP-Pro) so that I could access some of the data
> files.
> In the 2nd computer the hard drive was used merely as a slave.
>
> Well, I fixed the video problem in computer #1 and put the hard drive back
> into it, but now Windows XP will not start-up. I tried to use the Windows
> XP-Home Disc to boot from to perhaps correct the bootable section of the
> drive. For some reason, the CD will only go as far as to a blue screen
> that
> sets "Windows Setup". At that point, the program doesn't go anywhere/do
> anything, even after pressing enter.
>
> I would really appreciate any ideas on how I could possibly correct this
> problem without needing to do a re-format. Thanks, in advance, for any
> help.
September 2, 2005 1:48:59 PM

"Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:o DMNb%237rFHA.3340@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Make sure the HD is back in the original pc, and also that it is connected
> just as it was before (eg, as the primary drive). And make sure the
> cables are of the right type & connected properly.
> If necessary, power off & disconnect any external devices (such as
> printer, scanner & any external drives).
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User

Dave:
The problem is when you installed your HD in the second machine and it
booted to a "new" system, it picked up drivers & possibly system file
changes which the second OS installed on your HD. What you should have done
was to boot to Safe Mode on that second machine. At least in that situation
the second computer's OS wouldn't have installed any drivers nor made any
system changes on your drive. Actually, for absolute safety, you would have
been far better *not* to have used that first machine's HD in this
situation.

Now what you have to do is perform a Repair install of your XP OS. It's not
a difficult process - just boot with your XP installation CD. Here’s a brief
guide (slightly edited) on how to perform a XP Repair install from…
Gary Tsang, Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User, which he posted to a XP
newsgroup:

“Follow these steps to do a Repair install which should preserve your data,
settings, and programs:

1. Insert your Windows XP installation CD into your computer's CD-ROM drive
or DVD-ROM drive.
2. Restart your computer. If you have to, change the BIOS settings to boot
up
from the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer
again.
3. At the "Welcome to Setup" page, press your Enter key. (DO *NOT* CHOOSE
THE OPTION TO REPAIR YOUR INSTALLATION USING THE RECOVERY CONSOLE).
4. Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.
5. Use the arrow keys to select the installation of Windows XP that you want
to repair, and then press R to start the automatic repair process.
6. When Setup is completed, activate Windows XP.

Note that you will need your Product Key for this procedure, so have it
handy before you begin.

You can also do a Google search for “xp repair install” which will point you
to many websites that have additional detailed step-by-step instructions on
this process.

Anna
September 2, 2005 2:29:03 PM

"Anna" wrote:

> [...]
> from the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer
> again.
> 3. At the "Welcome to Setup" page, press your Enter key. (DO *NOT* CHOOSE
> THE OPTION TO REPAIR YOUR INSTALLATION USING THE RECOVERY CONSOLE).
> 4. Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.
> 5. Use the arrow keys to select the installation of Windows XP that you want
> to repair, and then press R to start the automatic repair process.
> 6. When Setup is completed, activate Windows XP.
>
> Note that you will need your Product Key for this procedure, so have it
> handy before you begin.
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm“
>

> You can also do a Google search for “xp repair install” which will point you
> to many websites that have additional detailed step-by-step instructions on

Anna-

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately for me, the boot from the Windows
XP-Home Disc does not execute. I'm currently getting an error message that
says:
"An unexpected error (536789056) occured @ line 1768 in
d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\arcdisp.c."

"press any key to continue"

When I press a key, the computer re-boots and comes back to the exact same
error message.

Btw, in order to isolate/simplify things, I removed my slave drive from the
computer (computer #1). Originally, I had two hard drives connected to a
Maxtor ATA 133 IDE card. To simplify the configuration, I removed the IDE
Card and the Maxtor slave drive. I then plugged the cable from the Primary
Drive to the IDE plug on the mother board. - - - Could this change be
leading to the error message I'm getting?

If not, could you give me any tips to get through this? Thanks again for
any help.

Dave
September 2, 2005 6:03:29 PM

> [...]

> says:
> "An unexpected error (536789056) occured @ line 1768 in
> d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\arcdisp.c."
>
> "press any key to continue"
>
> When I press a key, the computer re-boots and comes back to the exact same
> error message.
>
> Btw, in order to isolate/simplify things, I removed my slave drive from
> the
> computer (computer #1). Originally, I had two hard drives connected to a
> Maxtor ATA 133 IDE card. To simplify the configuration, I removed the
> IDE
> Card and the Maxtor slave drive. I then plugged the cable from the
> Primary
> Drive to the IDE plug on the mother board. - - - Could this change be
> leading to the error message I'm getting?
>
> If not, could you give me any tips to get through this? Thanks again for

Might be a RAM problem - either bad or incompatible RAM. See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316400&Product=winxp
which discusses the precise error message you've received.

Make absolutely certain that you've correctly jumpered the drive and that
its IDE cable is securely fastened at both ends.
Anna
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 6:07:06 PM

[snip]

> > Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately for me, the boot from the Windows
> > XP-Home Disc does not execute. I'm currently getting an error message
> > that
> > says:
> > "An unexpected error (536789056) occured @ line 1768 in
> > d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\arcdisp.c."
> >
> > "press any key to continue"
> >
> > When I press a key, the computer re-boots and comes back to the exact same
> > error message.
> >
> > Btw, in order to isolate/simplify things, I removed my slave drive from
> > the
> > computer (computer #1). Originally, I had two hard drives connected to a
> > Maxtor ATA 133 IDE card. To simplify the configuration, I removed the
> > IDE
> > Card and the Maxtor slave drive. I then plugged the cable from the
> > Primary
> > Drive to the IDE plug on the mother board. - - - Could this change be
> > leading to the error message I'm getting?
> >
> > If not, could you give me any tips to get through this? Thanks again for
> > any help.
> >
> > Dave
>

> Might be a RAM problem - either bad or incompatible RAM. See
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316400&Product=winxp
> which discusses the precise error message you've received.
>
> Make absolutely certain that you've correctly jumpered the drive and that
> its IDE cable is securely fastened at both ends.
> Anna

Anna-

Thank you very much!!! I got it to work!

I re-seated one of my 256 memory cards, but also re-seated my video card. I
think the video card may have been the culprit causing the error metioned
above.

After that, I was able to follow the instructions on the link you provided.
Now, everything is fine.

I think I'll do some back-ups now of some of my irreplaceable files, eg.
photos, docs... so I don't lose some important data in a situation like this.
Thanks again Anna for taking the time w/ my problem.

Dave
September 3, 2005 1:10:23 AM

>> > Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately for me, the boot from the
>> > Windows
>> > XP-Home Disc does not execute. I'm currently getting an error message
>> > that
>> > says:
>> > "An unexpected error (536789056) occured @ line 1768 in
>> > d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\arcdisp.c."
>> >
>> > "press any key to continue"
>> >
>> > When I press a key, the computer re-boots and comes back to the exact
>> > same
>> > error message.
>> >
>> > Btw, in order to isolate/simplify things, I removed my slave drive from
>> > the
>> > computer (computer #1). Originally, I had two hard drives connected
>> > to a
>> > Maxtor ATA 133 IDE card. To simplify the configuration, I removed the
>> > IDE
>> > Card and the Maxtor slave drive. I then plugged the cable from the
>> > Primary
>> > Drive to the IDE plug on the mother board. - - - Could this change
>> > be
>> > leading to the error message I'm getting?
>> >
>> > If not, could you give me any tips to get through this? Thanks again
>> > for
>> > any help.
>> >
>> > Dave

Anna wrote...

"Dave M." <DaveM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you very much!!! I got it to work!
>
> I re-seated one of my 256 memory cards, but also re-seated my video card.
> think the video card may have been the culprit causing the error metioned
> above.
>
> After that, I was able to follow the instructions on the link you
> provided.
> Now, everything is fine.
>
> I think I'll do some back-ups now of some of my irreplaceable files, eg.
> photos, docs... so I don't lose some important data in a situation like
> this.
> Thanks again Anna for taking the time w/ my problem.
>
> Dave

Glad to hear you got it working again. Doubtful if the video card was the
culprit, but as we all know too well in this business, we can never tell
with *absolute* certainty what may be causing the problem in any given
situation involving a computer. But I'm pretty sure it was the RAM.
Anna
!