Sign in with
Your question

Backing up files...

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
December 10, 2003 1:19:10 PM

Hey!

I have a program, which need a faily update(I am using it everyday, and need the afternoon-backup every day).
The backup is about 90MB, so I am using an Iomega Zip Drive(100MB on each disc). The backup is currently, that all files are beeing copied to my Zip Drive.

I used to have an icon on my desktop, and when I clicked it, windows was automaticly starting to copy the files from my harddrive and to my Zip Drive. The only thing that showed was a MS-DOS(a black window).

So do anyone know how I can make this again? I got a virus, and had to install everyting from the start.
So was I am actually asking about, is if there is a way that I can make an icon on my desktop, which will start to make a backup of a chosen folder on my harddrive, and to my Zip Drive, when I click the icon.

Thanks!

More about : backing files

December 13, 2003 7:31:37 PM

Unless I missed something, you could write a batch file to do this and put the shortcut on the desktop.

You can also put the shortcut into the startup folder and have it done on startup, instead of or in addition to your manual run.

-=ed
December 13, 2003 7:34:26 PM

Would you please show me how to write a bach file?

Or mention some web-pages, which can help me, o`r?

Thanks!
Related resources
December 13, 2003 8:09:34 PM

exactly where is the file you want to copy, and what is its name [i.e. drive1:\directory\filename]

and

where do you want to put it [ i.e. drive2:\directory\]

-=ed
December 14, 2003 12:03:54 PM

I want to copy a folder(named "D:\Hica\"). This folder should be copying itself to my G:( Zip Drive), so when I clik the icon, the copying of files should be done automaticly.

Thanks!
December 14, 2003 1:49:59 PM

Create a text file. "Backup.txt" or whatever you would like to name it so you know what it does.
Open the text file up, type in it:
[G:]
[md \hica]
xcopy D:\hica G:\hica /e /k /q /x /y

done, assuming there is a Hica directory on your G: drive. If not, use the [G:] [md hica] without the brackets.

This should copy your D:\hica drive to your G: drive.
Switches:
/e = copies directories and subdirectories
/k = copies any attributes of files in directories
/q = Does not list file names as it copies, "quiet"
/x = copies file audit settings (may be helpful, may not)
/y = does not prompt you to select Y to copy over an original file. (optional)

That should do it for you.

Riser
December 14, 2003 5:44:40 PM

This is not working. What extension should I have?(the .txt?).

Thanks!
December 14, 2003 8:15:51 PM

Concerning backup...

EDIT --- You must create the HICA file on the target disk the first time. Always miss something...
This could be done in the file , but since it only has to be done the first time, I left it out. If you wanted to keep copies and you were backing up to a big enough media, the directory would be created on-the-fly with the date as part of the name. eoj

Since only one file fits on the zip, it will have to be deleted before
the new copy can be copied over, running the risk of loosing the data
if the new file has been corrupted, making the backup kind of silly.

You should consider a couple of possibilities. Get a 200 mb or greater
zip to have 2 copies able to fit, erasing the oldest one and copying
the new one over with the backup, or, better, change thru 2 or more
disks to prevent the risk of zipdisk corruption, in case the zip fails,
which they can do. You could rename the target folders with the date in
the name so there would be no foldername problems if you wanted to do
this.

Maybe you should [I would] consider copying the backup to at leastone
other place on your disk, or on another computer. Even better, or
additionally, a packet writing CD or DVD and a set of CD/DVD+Rs or
CD/DVD+RWs would be a good choice to hold an archive, and a much safer
situation.The question is how much trouble is your data worth if you
have to recover. I simply cannot afford to loose data, so I do much of
this, which some would call overkill. In the end, "You pays your money,
you takes your chance".

The program can handle all of this with a little tweaking.

Somewhere, create a place to store your batch files [Program Files\Batch_Files\ is a good place]. Create a new text file, and rename it BACKUP.BAT, or something like that. It must have the .BAT extension

This is not an optimal file, but one that SHOULD work.

Many things could optimize it, but it will let you redefine the target and source. Also, I usually keep a cumulative log of the copy operations, but this was not included to keep it as simple as possible. There is minimal error checking. This also may be more than you want... if so, just dump it.

After you paste in the code, goto explorer and find the file in its directory and put a shortcut to it on the desktop. Double click on it, and it should run in a "dos" window. you can set many of the run and ex it parameters in the shortcut properties.

Test it on a different machine first with model data, and see if any strange things occur, as they can because of the possible differences between pcs, and I wasn't able to check it on yours.

I removed all pauses and directory listings except for the end-of job notification, but feel free to rem or delete it out, and it will run and exit totally automatically. etc.

This can be written many ways, with xcopy, scripts, vb etc, but this is the simplist way to do it, IMHO.

And finally, this may not be anything like what you expected or want, but it was the best I could do in a few minutes with little information.
It runs and does what was stated on 2 of my machines, but, again, some small thing may give you trouble on yours, so Iwould test it.

So, that said...
these are the critical lines, if all you want is a few lines and nothing else.

to erase all the files in the target directory:
del /f /q %to\*.*

to copy over all the old files:
copy /b %from\*.* %to\*.* /v

Just put in the correct "from" and "to".

If you want to use xcopy - faster, depending on the files, but sometimes a problem -then an "X" and few changes in the switches would let it happen. Your call.

otherwise...

open BACKUP.BAT with notepad and cut and paste the following into it:

start paste after this line--------------------------------

@echo off
pause --- ready to run... hit enter
rem
rem HICA backup 14dec03 W2K.SP3
rem

set source_drv=c
set target_drv=g
set source=HICA
set target=HICA
set from="%source_drv:\%source"
set to="%target_drv:\%target"

If not exist %from goto abend
if not exist %to goto abend

rem ------- TO seems to exist so delete files
rem even with ReadOnly set
del /f /q %to\*.*

rem ------- copy as a binary files, verify the file is
rem readable, and set the READ ONLY attribute to prevent
rem casual deletion. Something wrong will create an
rem ERROR message and probably stop the program
copy /b %from\*.* %to\*.* /v
attrib +r %to\*.*
goto exit

:ABEND
rem if not there for whatever reason, notify, and exit on keypress
beep
beep
beep
beep
beep
echo.
echo There is a problem - %from or %to is not available
echo CHECK DRIVE for MEDIA...
echo.
pause HIT ENTER to exit program

:exit
beep
beep

end of paste

-=ed<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by EdtheROM on 12/15/03 04:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 15, 2003 1:49:26 AM

Sorry, I forgot to mention to make it a .bat.
"backup.bat"
with the switches I used it will automatically overwrite the data on the disk stored in the same directory path.
Rotating Zip disks mentioned by Ed is a good practice if you're not already doing this. should something get corrupted and you just created a backup of the corrupted data over your good data, the backup was a bust.

I had this happen when I set up a small business with their server. When I was all set and done, I walked out the door. Well the guy who thought he knew what he was doing screwed the server up, so he decided after he screwed up he would overwrite my backup with the screwed up version. Then he formatted the server and tried to reinstall Win2k SBS. Well, needless to say, it didn't work out in the end for them.

Riser
December 15, 2003 5:14:58 AM

So do you say that your method is not as secure as Ed`s?

Thanks a lot, I had this method working(when I renamed it to a .bat file). A MS-DOS promt is getting on my screen, and I do see, that the files is beeing copying itself from folder to folder.

Thanks!
December 17, 2003 12:59:58 AM

Not at all. If you switch Zips out or use a regular rotation and store 1 copy permanenty weekly/monthly, you'll be fine. Overwriting the same Zip over and over may overwrite your good data with bad and may cause the Zip disk to wear out faster.
You can say Ed's is more secure because in the end it "beeps" but other than that, two different ways to do the same thing. They're both just as secure as long as backups are made.
The process I wrote will just overwrite existing files of the same names and path locations while Ed's will delete them first, then write.

Xcopy is heavily used in network environments and generally works very well.

You can learn more about it by typing "xcopy /?" at a command prompt.

Riser
December 21, 2003 5:02:33 AM

I use <A HREF="http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2003/2003-03-27.htm#2" target="_new">Replicator</A> to keep things sync'd between my laptop and desktop, like my email and website files. You can setup Replicator jobs, create a shortcut to one or more, then set the shortcut to run whenever you'd like using Windows' Task Scheduler.

I would link to one of my newsletters...but oddly enough, it hasn't been showing up. Weird.

I hope that'll be a much simpler solution for you to implement! Read through the program's newsletter back issues for ideas.

See ya!

Bryan

<A HREF="http://btvillarin.com/mojo/mojo.cgi?f=list&l=newslttr" target="_new">BTVillarin.com Newsletter</A> - Computing tips and stuff
<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=32..." target="_new">My System</A>
!