New Ink for Dell A940 All-in-one?

So what's the REAL story on ink cartridges for the A940 ?

I've seen several articles and reviews on the web that say you can't
refill these cartridges, that there's a chip that detects refilled
cartridges and disables them, you must use a 'new' cartridge.

On the other hand, If I look up the Dell A940 on Office Depot's ink and
cartridge reference, it shows an ink refill kit implying that it CAN be
done.

I'm also wondering, given that the dell cartridges are identical to the
Lexmark 82/83 cartridges except for the keying indentation on top, if I
could in fact use the Lexmark cartridge merely by modifying the keying
pin on the cartridge holder? Or if it will otherwise electronically
detect that I'm using a 'lexmark' not 'Dell' cartridge and disable it ?

Anybody have any direct experience with either of these options ?

Thanks.

- FM -

Read your warranty with care. The use of any cartridge other than a Dell
manufactured unit could void the warranty. Certainly, making any
modifications whatsoever to the printer itself will do the same. Have you
priced those cartridges from Dell? If you Google for them, you will see
dozens (if not hundreds) of companies that sell these cartridges. So
refilled, or remanufactured A940 cartridges are indeed available. As to
them working properly in your printer, let the buyer beware.

"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Read your warranty with care. The use of any cartridge other than a
> Dell manufactured unit could void the warranty.

Yes, that's true but only to a LIMITED extent.

Obviously if I use a cartridge manufactured (or remanufactured)by XYZ Corp,
Dell's warranty isn't going to cover replacing the XYZ cartridge if the
cartridge is defective. Nor would it cover any damage to the printer caused
by XYZ's cartridge.

But they couldn't use a non-Dell cartridge to void the overall warranty on
the unit. That's black-letter law, covered by the Magnusson-Moss Warranty
Act, and tested numerously. (Best explanation of it is at
http://www.kingston.com/company/warrantyissues.asp discussing the similar
issue of the use of non-oem memory in a PC)

- FM -