Just Built new system! Help!

G

Hi Everyone.... I was excited about building my new computer but now im having a problem that is generally annoying...

I just built a system consisting of

Soyo Dragon Plus motherBoard
512Megs DDR
AthlonXP 1700+ cpu
Radeon 8500 (retail)

These are my new parts, Existing parts consist of
SB Audigy
3com NIC
9Gig IBM HD,20 Gig Maxtor, 13 Gig Maxtor
2 Cd rom drives

I got all the new part in and working, Installed Windows XP...without a hitch, got all my cards running, installed the reccommended Drivers for the radeon then installed Return to castleWolfenstien....After being wow'd for awhile, i tryed to start playing (I had it on the HIGHEST setting in 1024x768) It played for awhile then suddenly LOCKED up...and froze...The speakers started playing screeching noises , changing notes and whatnot....
This happened twice in Windows XP, and i talked to someone and they said Windows XP hates the Radeon 8500....Sooooooooooo i formatted and installed Windows 2000....Again... the same reccommended driver from ATI. So far RTCW hasnt Locked up on me, but it HAS locked up leaving the game, trying to open a MPG or AVI file (randomly).

Getting through 3dMArk is about 50/50...sometimes it freezes (mostly on Nature) or times itll get thru...

ON WIndows XP it NEVER completed ever... it always locked up.

Sooo......Any comments from you guys on what you think my problem is?

svol

Champion
First check if your temps aren't to high.
Then check if your powersupply is atleat 300W and that the Voltage readings in the BIOS aren't to high/low.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

G

Basicly I followed the Soyo MB instuctions in regards to the Bios Set up.

Loaded it , got everything the way i need it , then Loaded Optimze Settings.

svol

Champion
First check if you have disabled all onboard components that you don't use, everything is poiting towards a driver conflict. Next check your IRQ's under Windows and see if some devices share IRQ, they probably will. If you don't use the COM/LPT ports you could disable them to free up some IRQ in the hope some devices switch from IRQ, you also could check if 'Plug&Play OS' is off in the BIOS, if it is already on off then change it to on and see if something happens.

Good luck.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .