Yellow folders icon not shown in "favourites" task panel !

When i'm on a web page and i click the "favourites" (yellow star button) in
WinXP (on the toolbar above the web page) i see all my favourite websites,
but the little yellow icon does not appear beside them, so i'm unsure
whether they are direct links to the web pages or whether they are folders
containing the links !!

Oddly enough, when i plug in my USB HD, the little yellow folder icons
re-appear !!!! - What can i do to get the folders icons back (without having
to keep my USB HD switched on) ?

Incidentally, this is not just unique to being on a web page in IE6, it also
happens in Nero Burning and some other programs which navigate files.

Cheers
Andrew
7 answers Last reply
More about yellow folders icon shown favourites task panel

    There is NO operating system on the USB HD, it is purely a backup !!!!

    > Copy your Favorites from the USB hard drive to your Favorites folder on
    your
    > other drive.
    >
    > To see your Favorites folder...
    > Start | Run | Type: favorites | Click OK
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:dfa0b1$ork$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk,
    > Andy100 <andy100@aog.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > When i'm on a web page and i click the "favourites" (yellow star button)
    > > in WinXP (on the toolbar above the web page) i see all my favourite
    > > websites, but the little yellow icon does not appear beside them, so i'm
    > > unsure whether they are direct links to the web pages or whether they
    are
    > > folders containing the links !!
    > >
    > > Oddly enough, when i plug in my USB HD, the little yellow folder icons
    > > re-appear !!!! - What can i do to get the folders icons back (without
    > > having to keep my USB HD switched on) ?
    > >
    > > Incidentally, this is not just unique to being on a web page in IE6, it
    > > also happens in Nero Burning and some other programs which navigate
    files.

    > > Cheers
    > > Andrew

    It sounds like part of your Favorites folder is on the USB HD.

    Have you somehow redirected some of your folders to the USB HD?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:dfac8e$adu$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk,
    Andy100 <andy100@aog.com> hunted and pecked:
    > There is NO operating system on the USB HD, it is purely a backup !!!!

    >> Copy your Favorites from the USB hard drive to your Favorites folder on
    >> your other drive.
    >>
    >> To see your Favorites folder...
    >> Start | Run | Type: favorites | Click OK
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:dfa0b1$ork$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk,
    >> Andy100 <andy100@aog.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> When i'm on a web page and i click the "favourites" (yellow star button)
    >>> in WinXP (on the toolbar above the web page) i see all my favourite
    >>> websites, but the little yellow icon does not appear beside them, so i'm
    >>> unsure whether they are direct links to the web pages or whether they
    >>> are folders containing the links !!
    >>>
    >>> Oddly enough, when i plug in my USB HD, the little yellow folder icons
    >>> re-appear !!!! - What can i do to get the folders icons back (without
    >>> having to keep my USB HD switched on) ?
    >>>
    >>> Incidentally, this is not just unique to being on a web page in IE6, it
    >>> also happens in Nero Burning and some other programs which navigate
    >>> files.
    >>>

    >>> Cheers
    >>> Andrew

    Well i did eventually find a folder on the USB HD called 'Favourites', sorry
    !. I copied all files from it and pasted them into my main HD. The problem
    is still there though !. I have never imported any files to the USB HD,
    especially "favourite" files.

    It sounds unlikely that it might be that because even when i create a new
    'Favourite' (i.e. not even on the USB HD) the icons for the new file and the
    older ones are still missing !!

    Cheers for the speedy reply !

    Regards
    Andrew

    > It sounds like part of your Favorites folder is on the USB HD.
    >
    > Have you somehow redirected some of your folders to the USB HD?
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:dfac8e$adu$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk,
    > Andy100 <andy100@aog.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > There is NO operating system on the USB HD, it is purely a backup !!!!
    > >

    > > "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >> Copy your Favorites from the USB hard drive to your Favorites folder on
    > >> your other drive.
    > >>
    > >> To see your Favorites folder...
    > >> Start | Run | Type: favorites | Click OK
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> In news:dfa0b1$ork$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk,
    > >> Andy100 <andy100@aog.com> hunted and pecked:

    Does Favorites look any different if you open it from the menu bar in IE or
    Windows Explorer? I.e. at the top >> File - Edit - View - Favorites?

    Have a look at this...

    Internet Explorer Favorites are missing/empty
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#favorites

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:dfad8c$b6k$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk,
    Andy100 <andy100@aog.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Well i did eventually find a folder on the USB HD called 'Favourites',
    > sorry !. I copied all files from it and pasted them into my main HD. The
    > problem is still there though !. I have never imported any files to the
    > USB HD, especially "favourite" files.
    >
    > It sounds unlikely that it might be that because even when i create a new
    > 'Favourite' (i.e. not even on the USB HD) the icons for the new file and
    > the older ones are still missing !!
    >
    > Cheers for the speedy reply !
    >
    > Regards
    > Andrew

    >> It sounds like part of your Favorites folder is on the USB HD.
    >>
    >> Have you somehow redirected some of your folders to the USB HD?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:dfac8e$adu$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk,
    >> Andy100 <andy100@aog.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> There is NO operating system on the USB HD, it is purely a backup !!!!

    I tried the registry fix, but the value they suggest was the value that was
    already in. And yes, when i look at the list of favourites from within IE6
    (File-Edit-View etc), the icons ARE THERE ! - it's just when i press the
    "Favourites" button on the top bar that they disappear, also disappear in
    Nero and a few other programs !!

    This has me really stumped !!!!

    Cheers
    Andrew

    > Does Favorites look any different if you open it from the menu bar in IE
    or
    > Windows Explorer? I.e. at the top >> File - Edit - View - Favorites?
    >
    > Have a look at this...
    >
    > Internet Explorer Favorites are missing/empty
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#favorites
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:dfad8c$b6k$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk,
    > Andy100 <andy100@aog.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Well i did eventually find a folder on the USB HD called 'Favourites',
    > > sorry !. I copied all files from it and pasted them into my main HD. The
    > > problem is still there though !. I have never imported any files to the
    > > USB HD, especially "favourite" files.
    > >
    > > It sounds unlikely that it might be that because even when i create a
    new
    > > 'Favourite' (i.e. not even on the USB HD) the icons for the new file and
    > > the older ones are still missing !!
    > >
    > > Cheers for the speedy reply !
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > Andrew
    > >

    > > "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >> It sounds like part of your Favorites folder is on the USB HD.
    > >>
    > >> Have you somehow redirected some of your folders to the USB HD?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> In news:dfac8e$adu$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk,
    > >> Andy100 <andy100@aog.com> hunted and pecked:

    Hi Andrew,

    Are you referring to the "Favicons" used by websites?
    http://www.favicon.com/

    Preserve the favicons using AM-Deadlink:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/favicon.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Andy100" <andy100@aog.com> wrote in message
    >I tried the registry fix, but the value they suggest was the value that was
    > already in. And yes, when i look at the list of favourites from within IE6
    > (File-Edit-View etc), the icons ARE THERE ! - it's just when i press the
    > "Favourites" button on the top bar that they disappear, also disappear in
    > Nero and a few other programs !!
    >
    > This has me really stumped !!!!
    >
    > Cheers
    > Andrew

    >> Does Favorites look any different if you open it from the menu bar in IE
    > or
    >> Windows Explorer? I.e. at the top >> File - Edit - View - Favorites?
    >>
    >> Have a look at this...
    >>
    >> Internet Explorer Favorites are missing/empty
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#favorites
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:dfad8c$b6k$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk,
    >> Andy100 <andy100@aog.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> > Well i did eventually find a folder on the USB HD called 'Favourites',
    >> > sorry !. I copied all files from it and pasted them into my main HD.
    >> > The
    >> > problem is still there though !. I have never imported any files to the
    >> > USB HD, especially "favourite" files.
    >> >
    >> > It sounds unlikely that it might be that because even when i create a
    > new
    >> > 'Favourite' (i.e. not even on the USB HD) the icons for the new file
    >> > and
    >> > the older ones are still missing !!
    >> >
    >> > Cheers for the speedy reply !
    >> >
    >> > Regards
    >> > Andrew
    >> >

    >> > "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > on

    > beside
    > or

    > icons
    > (without

    > navigate

    No, just the little yellow folder icon that you'd normally see (in XP) when
    you click the "Favourites" button above the address bar in IE6. The little
    yellow icon normally would appear to the left of each of the 'favourite'
    websites you've saved. Well it doesn't with mine !!. It's annoying as i
    cannot tell if my favourites are folders containing a group of favourite
    links, or the direct links themselves !!

    I have taken a screen shot of what i'm trying to put across, it's at
    http://tinypic.com/bjixhw.jpg Yet when i click the "Favourites" heading
    from the text line in IE6 (i.e. where the File, Edit, View, FAVOURITES,
    Tools are), the icons ARE there - Very Strange !!

    Thanks
    Andy

Windows XP