Anisotropic Benefits at High Res

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I was playing around a bit more with Quake III and the enhanced Anistropic Filtering feature of the new Radeon 8500 drivers, and I find that as you raise the resolution to 1600*1200, the IQ benefits less and less from Anistropic filtering. As you increase the res in Quake III, distant texture improve in detail by themselves. At 1600*1200*32 MAX, anisotropic filtering, 16X filtering doesn't significantly improve IQ over 2X as it does under 1024*768 that I play mostly at (I'm just used to the 100Hz refresh rate, at 1600*1200*32, my monitor caps at 75Hz at which I can notice slight flicker). In any case, there are two ways to improve image quality: running at 2X Quality SmoothVision + 16X Anisotropic Filter at 1024*768, will give you the same frame rates as 1600*1200 and 4-8X Anistropic filtering and roughly the same image quality.

Hehe, I just love my Radeon 8500. I've tested every single driver! That's around a dozen drivers! Hmm, one day, I'll write a detailed review of all the drivers. However, installing and reinstalling drivers to run benchmarks is going to be a hassle. Maybe I'll do it in the summer when I have the time. By then, ATI will probably have around 50 driver releases for the ATI Radeon series.

ATI is moving too fast for me to keep up! Especially since Rage3D's website is very slow.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
what was the point in that post?

:mad: <A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2096468" target="_new">P4 + SDRAM</A> = <b>BAD</b> :mad:

FatBurger

Illustrious
I think he was responding to the last line in AMD_Man's post.

Any website that has driver archives (especially for video cards) is ok in my book.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
In any case, doesn't anybody care how ATI's anistropic filtering performance is far superior to the GeForce4's while no review site seems to care? Even Tom's Hardware doesn't put much emphasis on it, although anistropic filtering significantly improves IQ in most cases.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor