XP Professional recovery console cannot detect hard drive

Hi,

When I attempted to start my computer, which is running Windows XP
Professional Edition, this morning, I received an error message saying

Invalid Boot.ini
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt:
Windows\System32\Hal.dll

I researched this issue in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, which said to
boot from the Windows XP CD-ROM and use the Recovery Console to perform
the repairs. However, when I did, it said that Windows could not detect
any hard drives and could not continue.

How do I fix my computer???

--
clenchman86
2 answers Last reply

    this is simmiler to what is happening to me, every time i get to the
    welcome screen i get a BSOD saying IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL. when i load
    the recovery consol it wont detect my HD. when i try to just reinstall
    windows, i get another BSOD. so far everything i have read assumes you
    can still acces your HD somehow. i have no idea whats going on with it.

    --
    sociald1077
    sociald1077's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=4880

    Try a repair install. Check here at Michaels site

    "clenchman86" <clenchman86.1uqsds@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > When I attempted to start my computer, which is running Windows XP
    > Professional Edition, this morning, I received an error message saying
    >

    > Invalid Boot.ini
    > Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
    > corrupt:
    > Windows\System32\Hal.dll
    >
    > I researched this issue in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, which said to
    > boot from the Windows XP CD-ROM and use the Recovery Console to perform
    > the repairs. However, when I did, it said that Windows could not detect
    > any hard drives and could not continue.
    >
    > How do I fix my computer???
    >

    > --
    > clenchman86