Undelete From CD

I have a friend who, inadvertently (I am being kind), deleted a folder of
important files and then emptied the recycle bin.

I have berated him for not keeping a backup but now wish to help him. I
have an excellent (paid for) program for recovering files but it has the
disadvantage that it first has to be installed on the hard drive, with the
possibility of overwriting the deleted folder before being able to recover
it.

Can anybody point me towards an undelete program (for Win XP - NTFS and
preferably free) that can be run from a CD?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, particularly by my unfortunate friend.

--
Keith Willcocks
More about undelete

    This may be a moot point now, but in the future when you delete something or
    empty your Recycle Bin and want to recover something from it... Stop using
    the computer now. Your recovery chances are better if the file has not been
    overwritten.

    This is free.

    Restoration Version 2.5.14 Author: Brian Kato
    http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html

    Description
    [[Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin or deleted while
    holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this program has another
    function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files. You
    can use it after deletion of confidential documents, embarrassing files and
    so on.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:dfa843$9n7$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com,
    Keith Willcocks <buccaneer@invalidaddress.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I have a friend who, inadvertently (I am being kind), deleted a folder of
    > important files and then emptied the recycle bin.
    >
    > I have berated him for not keeping a backup but now wish to help him. I
    > have an excellent (paid for) program for recovering files but it has the
    > disadvantage that it first has to be installed on the hard drive, with the
    > possibility of overwriting the deleted folder before being able to recover
    > it.
    >
    > Can anybody point me towards an undelete program (for Win XP - NTFS and
    > preferably free) that can be run from a CD?
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated, particularly by my unfortunate
    > friend.
    >
    > --
    > Keith Willcocks
    > (If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living!)

    Thanks for the response. I had already told him to stop using the PC until
    we attempted recovery. I am assuming that NTFS is like DOS in that it only
    uses released space after a reboot and space created (by deletion) during a
    session remains unused throughout that session.

    After sleeping on it I have had a thought about the installing problem. If
    the program will install to a flash drive it will minimise writing to the
    hard drive before recovery is attempted. I am going to experiment with
    this and will write the result back here in case it helps others.

    Thanks for the link.
    --
    Keith Willcocks

    > This may be a moot point now, but in the future when you delete something
    > or
    > empty your Recycle Bin and want to recover something from it... Stop
    > using
    > the computer now. Your recovery chances are better if the file has not
    > been
    > overwritten.
    >
    > This is free.
    >
    > Restoration Version 2.5.14 Author: Brian Kato
    > http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html
    >
    > Description
    > [[Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin or deleted while
    > holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this program has
    > another
    > function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files.
    > You
    > can use it after deletion of confidential documents, embarrassing files
    > and
    > so on.]]
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:dfa843$9n7$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com,
    > Keith Willcocks <buccaneer@invalidaddress.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> I have a friend who, inadvertently (I am being kind), deleted a folder of
    >> important files and then emptied the recycle bin.
    >>
    >> I have berated him for not keeping a backup but now wish to help him. I
    >> have an excellent (paid for) program for recovering files but it has the
    >> disadvantage that it first has to be installed on the hard drive, with
    >> the
    >> possibility of overwriting the deleted folder before being able to
    >> recover
    >> it.
    >>
    >> Can anybody point me towards an undelete program (for Win XP - NTFS and
    >> preferably free) that can be run from a CD?
    >>
    >> Any help will be greatly appreciated, particularly by my unfortunate
    >> friend.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Keith Willcocks
    >> (If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living!)

    Restoration does not have to be installed. I run it right from a 3 1/2"
    floppy.

    [[You don't have to install it, so it doesn't leave any garbage in the PC.
    (You can also run it from a floppy disk.)]]
    http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html

    [[Supported Devices
    Hard disk
    Floppy disk
    ZIP drive (I tested by parallel port ZIP drive. I don't know the reason but
    if the OS is Windows 95/98/Me, it doesn't recognize the disk unless the disk
    is inside the drive when the PC boots up.
    However, you can change the disk after boot.)
    PD (A user reported that it worked correctly.)
    DVD-RAM (A user reported that it worked correctly.)
    Smart media (A user reported that it worked correctly.)
    Memory stick drive (A user reported that it worked correctly.)

    No other devices are tested.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:dfboi1$jkq$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com,
    Keith Willcocks <buccaneer@invalidaddress.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks for the response. I had already told him to stop using the PC
    > until we attempted recovery. I am assuming that NTFS is like DOS in
    > that it only uses released space after a reboot and space created (by
    > deletion) during a session remains unused throughout that session.
    >
    > After sleeping on it I have had a thought about the installing problem.
    > If the program will install to a flash drive it will minimise writing to
    > the hard drive before recovery is attempted. I am going to experiment
    > with this and will write the result back here in case it helps others.
    >
    > Thanks for the link.
    > --
    > Keith Willcocks
    > (If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living!)

    >> This may be a moot point now, but in the future when you delete something
    >> or
    >> empty your Recycle Bin and want to recover something from it... Stop
    >> using
    >> the computer now. Your recovery chances are better if the file has not
    >> been
    >> overwritten.
    >>
    >> This is free.
    >>
    >> Restoration Version 2.5.14 Author: Brian Kato
    >> http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html
    >>
    >> Description
    >> [[Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin or deleted while
    >> holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this program has
    >> another
    >> function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files.
    >> You
    >> can use it after deletion of confidential documents, embarrassing files
    >> and
    >> so on.]]
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:dfa843$9n7$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com,
    >> Keith Willcocks <buccaneer@invalidaddress.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I have a friend who, inadvertently (I am being kind), deleted a folder
    >>> of important files and then emptied the recycle bin.
    >>>
    >>> I have berated him for not keeping a backup but now wish to help him.
    >>> I have an excellent (paid for) program for recovering files but it has
    >>> the disadvantage that it first has to be installed on the hard drive,
    >>> with the
    >>> possibility of overwriting the deleted folder before being able to
    >>> recover
    >>> it.
    >>>
    >>> Can anybody point me towards an undelete program (for Win XP - NTFS and
    >>> preferably free) that can be run from a CD?
    >>>
    >>> Any help will be greatly appreciated, particularly by my unfortunate
    >>> friend.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Keith Willcocks
    >>> (If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living!)

    Hi Keith,

    Restoration is good but there are a couple more free undelete tools
    out there. Here's a roundup:

    http://free-backup.info/data-recovery-software.htm

    Good luck!

    Agreed, and it is perfect for what I have to do. I have tried it out
    running from a USB Flash Drive which also provides somewhere to save the
    recovered files to without writing to the hard drive. Works perfectly.

    Many thanks for saving me a lot of hassle.
    --
    Keith Willcocks

    Keep having fun. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:dfcuqr$ghb$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com,

    <chad@aahh.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Keith,
    >
    > Restoration is good but there are a couple more free undelete tools
    > out there. Here's a roundup:
    >
    > http://free-backup.info/data-recovery-software.htm

    Thankee kindly.
    --
    Keith Willcocks

    I guess I would describe the result as success and failure. From the start
    my friend was sure that he had not deleted the folder of files but it had,
    nevertheless, disappeared from his desktop. My session with the recovery
    software did indeed find and restore all the missing files. The downside
    was that they were all totally corrupted and beyond use. I think that the
    fact that we had severe thunderstorms at the exact same time his files
    disappeared is more than a coincidence.

    Many thanks for your help, I know this software is going to be useful in
    future.

    --
    Keith Willcocks

    > Keep having fun. :-)
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:dfcuqr$ghb$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com,
    > Keith Willcocks <buccaneer@invalidaddress.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Agreed, and it is perfect for what I have to do. I have tried it out
    >> running from a USB Flash Drive which also provides somewhere to save the
    >> recovered files to without writing to the hard drive. Works perfectly.
    >>
    >> Many thanks for saving me a lot of hassle.
    >> --
    >> Keith Willcocks
    >> (If you can't laugh at life, it ain't worth living!)

    >>> Restoration does not have to be installed. I run it right from a 3 1/2"
    >>> floppy.
    >>>
    >>> [[You don't have to install it, so it doesn't leave any garbage in the
    >>> PC. (You can also run it from a floppy disk.)]]
    >>> http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html
    >>>
    >>> [[Supported Devices
    >>> Hard disk
    >>> Floppy disk
    >>> ZIP drive (I tested by parallel port ZIP drive. I don't know the reason
    >>> but
    >>> if the OS is Windows 95/98/Me, it doesn't recognize the disk unless the
    >>> disk
    >>> is inside the drive when the PC boots up.
    >>> However, you can change the disk after boot.)
    >>> PD (A user reported that it worked correctly.)
    >>> DVD-RAM (A user reported that it worked correctly.)
    >>> Smart media (A user reported that it worked correctly.)
    >>> Memory stick drive (A user reported that it worked correctly.)
    >>>
    >>> No other devices are tested.]]
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>>
    >>> Wes
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> In news:dfboi1$jkq$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com,
    >>> Keith Willcocks <buccaneer@invalidaddress.com> hunted and pecked:

    Nice to have a hammer handy if any nails need pounded in. ;-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User