Need help with DHCP internet connection

Hello,

We have this weird problem with the internet connection at work. We have
DHCP (DSL) but everytime that we reboot the computer, we cannot access the
internet (it seems like no data can enter). We have to manually deactivate
the network connection in Windows and reactivate it, then it works. Also, it
seems that after a long period of time, it stops working (so we have to
deactivate and reactivate again).

I tried to rebuild winsock with the little winsock software, no luck. I even
changed the NIC card, the cable, nothing.

Now, there is no router or anything, it's a direct connection between the
modem and the computer. There is no other computer involved (no network or
anything).

I know that the problem is somewhere in Windows XP because we tested it with
another computer and it works just fine.

Also, if I try to "repair" the network connection, I get this message:
"Error: Can not clear ARP cache"

Reinstalling XP is not an option ATM.

Anyone can help?

Thanks a lot.

Ben

"Ben Mercier" <NObenmercierSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> We have this weird problem with the internet connection at work. We have
> DHCP (DSL) but everytime that we reboot the computer, we cannot access the
> internet (it seems like no data can enter). We have to manually deactivate
> the network connection in Windows and reactivate it, then it works. Also,
> it seems that after a long period of time, it stops working (so we have to
> deactivate and reactivate again).
>
> I tried to rebuild winsock with the little winsock software, no luck. I
> even changed the NIC card, the cable, nothing.
>
> Now, there is no router or anything, it's a direct connection between the
> modem and the computer. There is no other computer involved (no network or
> anything).
>
> I know that the problem is somewhere in Windows XP because we tested it
> with another computer and it works just fine.
>
> Also, if I try to "repair" the network connection, I get this message:
> "Error: Can not clear ARP cache"
>
> Reinstalling XP is not an option ATM.
>
> Anyone can help?

I would try another network card and see the symptoms persists.

--
William

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Ben Mercier" <NObenmercierSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> We have this weird problem with the internet connection at work. We have
>> DHCP (DSL) but everytime that we reboot the computer, we cannot access
>> the internet (it seems like no data can enter). We have to manually
>> deactivate the network connection in Windows and reactivate it, then it
>> works. Also, it seems that after a long period of time, it stops working
>> (so we have to deactivate and reactivate again).
>>
>> I tried to rebuild winsock with the little winsock software, no luck. I
>> even changed the NIC card, the cable, nothing.
>>
>> Now, there is no router or anything, it's a direct connection between the
>> modem and the computer. There is no other computer involved (no network
>> or anything).
>>
>> I know that the problem is somewhere in Windows XP because we tested it
>> with another computer and it works just fine.
>>
>> Also, if I try to "repair" the network connection, I get this message:
>> "Error: Can not clear ARP cache"
>>
>> Reinstalling XP is not an option ATM.
>>
>> Anyone can help?
>>

> I would try another network card and see the symptoms persists.

I did it.
Nothing changed.

> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> "Ben Mercier" <NObenmercierSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> We have this weird problem with the internet connection at work. We have
>>> DHCP (DSL) but everytime that we reboot the computer, we cannot access
>>> the internet (it seems like no data can enter). We have to manually
>>> deactivate the network connection in Windows and reactivate it, then it
>>> works. Also, it seems that after a long period of time, it stops working
>>> (so we have to deactivate and reactivate again).
>>>
>>> I tried to rebuild winsock with the little winsock software, no luck. I
>>> even changed the NIC card, the cable, nothing.
>>>
>>> Now, there is no router or anything, it's a direct connection between
>>> the modem and the computer. There is no other computer involved (no
>>> network or anything).
>>>
>>> I know that the problem is somewhere in Windows XP because we tested it
>>> with another computer and it works just fine.
>>>
>>> Also, if I try to "repair" the network connection, I get this message:
>>> "Error: Can not clear ARP cache"
>>>
>>> Reinstalling XP is not an option ATM.
>>>
>>> Anyone can help?
>>>

>> I would try another network card and see the symptoms persists.
>

> I did it.
> Nothing changed.

Maybe this solution will help you.

Flushing the ARP Cache on Windows XP
http://www.sixdifferentways.com/archives/007675.html

How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP
(look at method 4)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314067

Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) Cache Functions
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=99150

--
William