Conflicting software / hardware

I have heard the sometimes one can have software / hardware that conflicts
with other.

How do I know which software / hardware is in conflict? Is there a program I
can use?

Thx
Tazzy
1 answer Last reply
More about conflicting software hardware

    From Windows XP Glossary in Help and Support

    device conflict
    A conflict that occurs when the same system resources have been allocated to
    two or more devices. System resources include interrupt request (IRQ) lines,
    direct memory access (DMA) channels, input/output (I/O) ports, and memory
    addresses.

    Also from Help...
    Conflicts/Sharing
    Conflicts/Sharing is located in the Hardware Resources category in System
    Information. It displays devices that share the same resources, such as
    direct memory access (DMA), IRQs, and memory.

    Open System Information...
    Start | Run | Type: msinfo32 | Click OK |
    Click the [+] next to Hardware Resources |
    Click on Conflicts/Sharing

    In general, shared resources are not problematic, but investigating
    potential conflicts can help resolve issues. If you are having a problem
    with a device, check Conflicts/Sharing to verify that there are no sharing
    conflicts. Locate the device in the Device column in the details pane, and
    then verify which resource the device uses in the Resource column. Devices
    that share the same resource have duplicate entries in the Resource column.
    For example, you may have two adapters that share the same IRQ channel, such
    as IRQ 5. If the problem device shares a resource with another device, there
    may be a conflict. You can use Device Manager to troubleshoot the problem.

    If you have any problem device(s) will be listed in Device Manager.

    To open Device Manager, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click
    Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. On the Hardware tab,
    click Device Manager.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:2C713DD3-8661-463C-B3A0-9A26E7600860@microsoft.com,
    Tazzy <Tazzy@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I have heard the sometimes one can have software / hardware that conflicts
    > with other.
    >
    > How do I know which software / hardware is in conflict? Is there a
    > program I can use?
    >
    > Thx
    > Tazzy

Hardware Microsoft Software Windows XP