802.16 ... I get the impression from this article...

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
June 5, 2004 11:13:40 AM

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/article.php/3363411

With this article I got the impression that some of the industry leaders may
have messed with 802.16 and may have thought it would have some big problems
due to its frequency that it relys on. Eventhough I do hope more
frequencies are adopted later on, the unlicensed frequency means more
companies can compete because they don't have to purchase from the FCC
licenced frequencies. I sure do hope 802.16 can deliver on NLOS 70Mbps up
to 10 miles or whatever and it won't be vaporware of some sort.

I would expect if WiMax gets into the licensed frequencies then it would
become more like cellphones and you would need a wireless device designed
for that region your in. Frequencies are licensed differerently depending
upon the country you are in. I think that would limit the competition of
these wireless devices and might even slow development. Maybe the wireless
devices (bridges, routers, gateways... whatever) could be sold where the
frequency would be enabled with firmware downloaded from the web with the IP
address giving your location and allowing licensed frequecies for that
region to be enabled. Just some rambling thoughts.

I'm very excited about WiMax because this links by two hobbies, I love
traveling through the third world because its cheap but I'm limited in my #1
hobby surfing the net via broadband. Hopefully soon the two won't conflict
with each other.

More about : 802 impression article

June 5, 2004 11:13:41 AM

ahh wrote:

> http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/article.php/3363411
>
> With this article I got the impression that some of the industry leaders may
> have messed with 802.16 and may have thought it would have some big problems
> due to its frequency that it relys on. Eventhough I do hope more
> frequencies are adopted later on, the unlicensed frequency means more
> companies can compete because they don't have to purchase from the FCC
> licenced frequencies. I sure do hope 802.16 can deliver on NLOS 70Mbps up
> to 10 miles or whatever and it won't be vaporware of some sort.
>
> I would expect if WiMax gets into the licensed frequencies then it would
> become more like cellphones and you would need a wireless device designed
> for that region your in. Frequencies are licensed differerently depending
> upon the country you are in. I think that would limit the competition of
> these wireless devices and might even slow development. Maybe the wireless
> devices (bridges, routers, gateways... whatever) could be sold where the
> frequency would be enabled with firmware downloaded from the web with the IP
> address giving your location and allowing licensed frequecies for that
> region to be enabled. Just some rambling thoughts.
>
> I'm very excited about WiMax because this links by two hobbies, I love
> traveling through the third world because its cheap but I'm limited in my #1
> hobby surfing the net via broadband. Hopefully soon the two won't conflict
> with each other.

I seriously doubt anyone is going to be lighting up third world
country-sides with WiMax in the forseeable future. Got any idea what
it's going to cost for the equipment? And just because you have a WiMax
receiver in your laptop (that's also under debate, WiMax is supposedly
more for fixed wireless, not roaming) doesn't mean that the local WISP
is going to let you onto their net. How will they get their cut of the $?

Years down the road you'll probably be able to use a laptop or cell
phone or PDA nearly anywhere at very high speeds. But that's years away.
There's a lot of networking to do in the meantime.
June 5, 2004 11:13:42 AM

"Rôgêr" <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in message
> ahh wrote:
>
> > http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/article.php/3363411
> >
> > With this article I got the impression that some of the industry leaders
may
> > have messed with 802.16 and may have thought it would have some big
problems
> > due to its frequency that it relys on. Eventhough I do hope more
> > frequencies are adopted later on, the unlicensed frequency means more
> > companies can compete because they don't have to purchase from the FCC
> > licenced frequencies. I sure do hope 802.16 can deliver on NLOS 70Mbps
up
> > to 10 miles or whatever and it won't be vaporware of some sort.
> >
> > I would expect if WiMax gets into the licensed frequencies then it would
> > become more like cellphones and you would need a wireless device
designed
> > for that region your in. Frequencies are licensed differerently
depending
> > upon the country you are in. I think that would limit the competition
of
> > these wireless devices and might even slow development. Maybe the
wireless
> > devices (bridges, routers, gateways... whatever) could be sold where
the
> > frequency would be enabled with firmware downloaded from the web with
the IP
> > address giving your location and allowing licensed frequecies for that
> > region to be enabled. Just some rambling thoughts.
> >
> > I'm very excited about WiMax because this links by two hobbies, I love
> > traveling through the third world because its cheap but I'm limited in
my #1
> > hobby surfing the net via broadband. Hopefully soon the two won't
conflict
> > with each other.
>
> I seriously doubt anyone is going to be lighting up third world
> country-sides with WiMax in the forseeable future. Got any idea what
> it's going to cost for the equipment? And just because you have a WiMax
> receiver in your laptop (that's also under debate, WiMax is supposedly
> more for fixed wireless, not roaming) doesn't mean that the local WISP
> is going to let you onto their net. How will they get their cut of the $?

802.16e, still under development, includes support for mobile users. Fixed
LOS versions of 802.16 are already done. 802.16 was not intended for
end-user deployment. It is more for backhaul from a collection of LANs or
WLANs, fabric for mesh networks, etc. It certainly could be used by single
users, but it was not a design point to keep equipment costs down to
homeowner-commodity levels, or to make the equipment portable enough to walk
around with.

802.16a supports unlicensed frequencies, but it's fixed LOS. 802.16e will be
in licensed frequencies only.

802.20 overlaps to some extent, and some people consider it a direct
competitor.

> Years down the road you'll probably be able to use a laptop or cell
> phone or PDA nearly anywhere at very high speeds. But that's years away.
> There's a lot of networking to do in the meantime.

One analyst estimates 802.16 available sometime in 2006. The article didn't
say whether that was 802.16e, or the fixed LOS versions.
June 5, 2004 11:13:43 AM

gary wrote:

> [...]
> end-user deployment. It is more for backhaul from a collection of LANs or
> WLANs, fabric for mesh networks, etc. It certainly could be used by single
> users, but it was not a design point to keep equipment costs down to
> homeowner-commodity levels, or to make the equipment portable enough to walk
> around with.
>
> 802.16a supports unlicensed frequencies, but it's fixed LOS. 802.16e will be
> in licensed frequencies only.
>
> 802.20 overlaps to some extent, and some people consider it a direct
> competitor.
>

>>Years down the road you'll probably be able to use a laptop or cell
>>phone or PDA nearly anywhere at very high speeds. But that's years away.
>>There's a lot of networking to do in the meantime.
>>

> One analyst estimates 802.16 available sometime in 2006. The article didn't
> say whether that was 802.16e, or the fixed LOS versions.

I've heard that Walmart is readying to test WiMax. If tests go well,
every damn Walmart will also be a NOC with AP on the roof, waltz in and
get your CPE and hook it up at home. I bet that'll really piss off Bill
Gates if Walmart captures a computer sector before he figures out how.
June 5, 2004 11:13:43 AM

gary wrote:

> One analyst estimates 802.16 available sometime in 2006. The article didn't
> say whether that was 802.16e, or the fixed LOS versions.

I forgot to mention, Towerstream in Chicago is already touting that they
are offering WiMax. Not bad considering the standard hasn't been adopted
yet.

http://www.mobilepipeline.com/news/18900229
June 5, 2004 11:13:44 AM

Well, this is fixed 802.16. That's either 802.16, which was approved 4/8/02,
or 802.16a, approved 4/1/03. 802.16a adds support for frequencies in the 2 -
11 Ghz range, including unlicensed bands.

802.16e, with mobile support, just became a project 6 months ago. It has a
long way to go, and it's probably the one that some people are saying won't
be implemented until 2006.

> gary wrote:
>
> > One analyst estimates 802.16 available sometime in 2006. The article
didn't
> > say whether that was 802.16e, or the fixed LOS versions.
>
> I forgot to mention, Towerstream in Chicago is already touting that they
> are offering WiMax. Not bad considering the standard hasn't been adopted
> yet.
>
> http://www.mobilepipeline.com/news/18900229

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 5, 2004 1:28:11 PM

Your probably right about the roaming. Thats probably at least 5-10 years
away. But neverless I do expect within about 2-3 years my city Cebu City
Philippines to have some form of inexpensive fixed broadband wireless that
will allow me to move to a more remote beach location or something. Right
now I'm stuck with DSL in the city and with me wanting to come here for
cheap tropical ocean access its a shame internet connectivity is holding me
back at me going all the way with my dreams. Many articles I've read expect
the undeveloped world to take ahold of WiMax rather quickly. I do expect it
to work and do expect it to be fairly inexpenive but I admit this is all
with my fingers crossed. Only time will tell. I will be watching the
progress of 802.16 very closely.

!