Using XP Home Ed on Dell Dimension 4600. Am getting error message that
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is corrupt or missing. I have looked at MS
KB Article 307545, but it gives a warning that, "Do not use the procedure
that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed
operating system." Guess what; mine is an OEM machine. Have read "Kelly's
Corner" Article (Q303012) on same subject, but I am not sure if it will be OK
to follow this process because of the OEM issue. Can you give me a solution
please? Thanks
--
Thanks - Ted

When the pc is booting up, and while the BIOS is displaying the power up tests and status.... just before it shows
"verifying DMI pool data" ---- start tapping (repeat tapping) F8 function key.

Have you tried selecting "Last Known Good configuration" ?

Your Dell should have come witha "Operating System CD". If so, give this a try (if above does not work).
HOW TO: Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt ( MS Knowledge Base Article 304449)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Tedrick wrote:
> Using XP Home Ed on Dell Dimension 4600. Am getting error message
> that \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is corrupt or missing. I have
> looked at MS KB Article 307545, but it gives a warning that, "Do not
> use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer
> has an OEM-installed operating system." Guess what; mine is an OEM
> machine. Have read "Kelly's Corner" Article (Q303012) on same
> subject, but I am not sure if it will be OK to follow this process
> because of the OEM issue. Can you give me a solution please? Thanks

Thank you for this reply. I have tried the "Last known configuration" option
and safe mode etc, but none of that works. I also tried the Dell CD and the
recovery console options, but no sucess there. I will also try the Restore
from DOS option about which you write too.
--
Thanks - Ted

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> When the pc is booting up, and while the BIOS is displaying the power up tests and status.... just before it shows
> "verifying DMI pool data" ---- start tapping (repeat tapping) F8 function key.
>
> Have you tried selecting "Last Known Good configuration" ?
>
> Your Dell should have come witha "Operating System CD". If so, give this a try (if above does not work).
> HOW TO: Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt ( MS Knowledge Base Article 304449)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>
> Tedrick wrote:
> > Using XP Home Ed on Dell Dimension 4600. Am getting error message
> > that \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is corrupt or missing. I have
> > looked at MS KB Article 307545, but it gives a warning that, "Do not
> > use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer
> > has an OEM-installed operating system." Guess what; mine is an OEM
> > machine. Have read "Kelly's Corner" Article (Q303012) on same
> > subject, but I am not sure if it will be OK to follow this process
> > because of the OEM issue. Can you give me a solution please? Thanks

That last reference requires login to the Recovery Console. Post back whether you are able to login to it with account (login) name ADMINISTRATOR.
And if you are able to start RSTRUI.

If not able to succeed with that, you'll likely going to have to follow the (arduous) procedures in Article 307545 (even considering you have a Dell).
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User