Defragmenting RAID 0 Stripe

September 3, 2005 4:35:50 AM

Hi there,

I've recently purchased a new computer that has a RAID 0 Stripe setup. I
went along to defragment the drive (I've gotten into the habbit of doing
this regularly) and wondered if what I was doing was undoing the work of the
RAID system?

I wonder if anyone would let me know the answer to that? Should I continue
defragmenting as normal?

--
Best regards,

Adrian
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 4:35:51 AM

RAID 0 by it's definition, is fragmenting your files accross two or
more disks. Files are broken into stripes of a size dictated by the
user-defined stripe size of the array, and stripes are sent to each
disk in the array. You are only compacting the fragments as best as
possible taking into acount the size of the disks and the cluster size
used.

I recommend you do a backup of your data before you begin a disk
defragmentation of any RAID array.

RAID 0 should be used for: Non-critical data (or data that changes
infrequently and is backed up regularly) requiring high speed,
particularly write speed, and low cost of implementation. Audio and
video streaming and editing; web servers; graphic design; high-end
gaming or hobbyist systems; temporary or "scratch" disks on larger
machines.
[...]

September 3, 2005 9:01:32 PM

Adrian Foot <ady.foot@community.nospam> wrote:
> I've recently purchased a new computer that has a RAID 0 Stripe setup. I
> went along to defragment the drive (I've gotten into the habbit of doing
> this regularly) and wondered if what I was doing was undoing the work of the
> RAID system?

No it isn't; you should still do defrags as usual.

Once a month is probably more than enough tho.

Remember, by default XP will do a "Boot and Optimize" defrag in the
background every few days (if you leave the system idle). So, your
on-demand defrags are not as critical.
!