Defragmenting RAID 0 Stripe

Hi there,

I've recently purchased a new computer that has a RAID 0 Stripe setup. I
went along to defragment the drive (I've gotten into the habbit of doing
this regularly) and wondered if what I was doing was undoing the work of the
RAID system?

I wonder if anyone would let me know the answer to that? Should I continue
defragmenting as normal?

--
Best regards,

Adrian
3 answers Last reply
More about defragmenting raid stripe

    RAID 0 by it's definition, is fragmenting your files accross two or
    more disks. Files are broken into stripes of a size dictated by the
    user-defined stripe size of the array, and stripes are sent to each
    disk in the array. You are only compacting the fragments as best as
    possible taking into acount the size of the disks and the cluster size
    used.

    I recommend you do a backup of your data before you begin a disk
    defragmentation of any RAID array.

    RAID 0 should be used for: Non-critical data (or data that changes
    infrequently and is backed up regularly) requiring high speed,
    particularly write speed, and low cost of implementation. Audio and
    video streaming and editing; web servers; graphic design; high-end
    gaming or hobbyist systems; temporary or "scratch" disks on larger
    machines.

    Adrian Foot <ady.foot@community.nospam> wrote:
    > I've recently purchased a new computer that has a RAID 0 Stripe setup. I
    > went along to defragment the drive (I've gotten into the habbit of doing
    > this regularly) and wondered if what I was doing was undoing the work of the
    > RAID system?

    No it isn't; you should still do defrags as usual.

    Once a month is probably more than enough tho.

    Remember, by default XP will do a "Boot and Optimize" defrag in the
    background every few days (if you leave the system idle). So, your
    on-demand defrags are not as critical.

NAS / RAID Support Microsoft Windows XP