Microsoft retires Windows 98

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
"Microsoft will retire several of its products next week, including Windows 98 and SQL Server 7, to comply with a court order related to its dispute with Sun Microsystems over Java" <i><A HREF="http://www.msnbc.com/news/1002736.asp?cp1=1" target="_new">http://www.msnbc.com/news/1002736.asp?cp1=1</A></i>

Sounds just like them...kill a stable release...go with the buggy one. How dumb can you be?

----------
<b>It is always brave to say what everyone thinks. </b> <i>Georges Duhamel</i>

TKS

First of all, define 'stable'... then I might agree with your point.

Windows 2000 and Windows XP are perfectly rock-solid for me thus far. Win 98 was ok... but not nearly as stable for me as 2000/XP.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
As in, I had a 98 platform up for about 3 months without a reboot...that's never happened with my 95 or XP platfms.

----------

TKS

dhlucke

Polypheme
Win95? No doubt.

XP is fine though. You have bonzai buddy installed?

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Hope it's ok to add a few links you might want to read over carefully how to go about dealing with this...

<A HREF="http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2003/2003-12-18.htm#1" target="_new">LangaList Newsletter - December 18, 2003</A>

<A HREF="http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2003/2003-12-15.htm#1" target="_new">LangaList Newsletter - December 15, 2003</A>

Bryan

<A HREF="http://btvillarin.com/mojo/mojo.cgi?f=list&l=newslttr" target="_new">BTVillarin.com Newsletter</A> - Computing tips and stuff
<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=329" target="_new">My System</A>

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Tell that to my daily rebooting XP machine.

----------

TKS

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
maybe ill tell that to whoever leaves faulty equipment in their pc, and installs garbage software on it. i hear you have bonzai buddy installed? you have NO room to talk about stability issues.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Yeah...right...I have bonzai buddy....are you a fuggin idiot? You think I'd have my own Linux/Gateway running slackware 9.1 with apache and samba and that I'd have bonzai running on my windows machine? Or that I'd have faulty EQ in it? I'd never be that retarded...and the people here that are familiar with me and my posts know I wouldn't.

----------

TKS

Damnit, don't argue, just get rid of Bonzai Buddy!

*snicker*

Seriously, though, there must be some issue with your XP box. Either hardware, software, or drivers... perhaps even mobo BIOS. Windows 2K and XP are by far the most rock-solid Windows OSes available. The only time I have to reboot my comp is when I do driver or Windows updates. I couldn't say the same for Windows 98... even though I did like it a lot... and definately preferred it over Win ME.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
obviously your the genius here, your computer restarts every day by fault of microsoft, obviously. of course there is no possible way that you are to blame for your system instability.

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
When you build about 5 computers a day for sale in a business...ya kind of get used to NOT making any mistakes. If you do, your reputation is at stake and in a small town (under 100k people) that can kill you. I know it isn't hardware because I've swapped out parts and put brand new in. Still no workie. So it <i>could</i> be hardware combination...but that would be the only thing it could be for hardware. Hence why I am more likely to blame Macro$uck...because hardware combinations causing problems are extremely rare...and no conflicts have been reported at any of the companies with this hardware combination.

----------

TKS

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you think your the only one with a correctly working version of xp and every one else has some bug that causes it not to crash huh.

dhlucke

Polypheme
ROFLMAO. I love how this is going with the bonzai buddy.

Just uninstall it already!

dhlucke

Polypheme
Post your rig and lets see if anyone can point something out. It's possible that you've been messing with it TOO MUCH so that you're overlooking something that you normally wouldn't.

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
i dont know about yours, but my winxp pro setup was always locking up, rebooting and other problems, when i went back to win98se, no more problems, i dont like xp and i never will, i dont appreciate an operating system that says it supports a particular hardware item, then come to find out, its a buggy driver version that MS has no intention of fixing....thats BS! and to top it off, it was a MS product!!!!!! thats a sure a great way to support paying customers.....NOT! my hardware is fine, no problems, and i aint gonna run all over the web trying to find, beg,and borrow new drivers in hopes they will be stable! you shouldnt talk about TKS that way, i dont know the man from adam, but i do know that just because your winxp is stable and his is not, you dont automatically assume he is the problem! im glad you have a stable winxp machine, but TKS like myself, has tried everything under the sun to get xp stable and it aint gonna happen on his machine nor mine. now dont take this the wrong way, but you seem to hint at a "mightier than thou" attitude. I sincerely hope I am mistaken, but it sure seems that way. Am I mistaken? if I am then you have my apologies, if not, then so be it....

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.

dhlucke

Polypheme
If you don't mind telling us, what was the hardware that caused you grief? I have had hardware, a printer, that wouldn't work with XP, but that doesn't really make the OS defective. I understand that not every piece of hardware will work. Yes, it pisses me off, and in this case I blame Canon.

However, not counting non-supported hardware, the OS is rock solid. Unless you have bonzai buddy installed or some other junk like Quicktime 3.0, it's not going to crash. I have only had the OS crash once and that was because an old piece of software forced me to install Quicktime 3.0. I've had XP since before it was even released. It's not perfect, but win98 doesn't even hold a candle to it. There's no comparison whatsoever.

XP is practically fool proof as far as I'm concerned. Obviously if you have old hardware you'll have to use an older OS if you don't want to upgrade your hardware.

Don't install bonzai buddy.

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
well it was my microsoft force feedback pro joystick, and most of my games didnt work either, even in emulation mode, my games were ms combat flight sim 3, startrek starfleet command and warbirds, and dawn of aces, and my win98se has always been rock solid for me, luckily the winxp pro "experiment" was on my gamer pc, not my main pc. my main pc with win98se has been running for over 2 years now without so much as a hiccup, i dont have compatability problems with it. winxp pro blows.....btw the gamer specs are msi 745 ultra,256 crucial pc2700 ddr,athlon xp1800+, maxtor ata133 30gig hd, sony 24x burner, sony 16X dvd, sony floppy,ms force feedback pro joystick, logitec keyboard, ms intelli trackball mouse,epson 780 photoprinter, ethernet card, crystal 6 channel soundcard. all work perfectly with win 98se, now someone is going to tell me that it is something i caused???? they are right, i installed that piece of garbage called win xp pro. just look at the win xp forums, TKS and I are not the only ones with problems with that OS, you mean to tell me that everybody who has problems with win xp is at fault? yea right...go blow that smoke up some one elses a$$.

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.