Help I can't even make into the windows installation

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

when i do make it to the windows setup in dos, it starts copying over
installation files and than my monitor shuts off, and the cd rom stops
spinning but the computer is still running, i check the fans and they are
fine..checked the cpu and it was running at 42 degrees celcius or so..so
thats fine. idk whats going on..and i went back in and reseated everything

Microsoft offers free installation support....contact them.
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?LN=en-us&gprid=3221&c1=509&x=12&y=11

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Steve wrote:
> when i do make it to the windows setup in dos, it starts copying over
> installation files and than my monitor shuts off, and the cd rom stops
> spinning but the computer is still running, i check the fans and they are
> fine..checked the cpu and it was running at 42 degrees celcius or so..so
> thats fine. idk whats going on..and i went back in and reseated everything

Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
(http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
hardware components or applications.

Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
still support Win9x.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Steve wrote:
> > when i do make it to the windows setup in dos, it starts copying over
> > installation files and than my monitor shuts off, and the cd rom stops
> > spinning but the computer is still running, i check the fans and they are
> > fine..checked the cpu and it was running at 42 degrees celcius or so..so
> > thats fine. idk whats going on..and i went back in and reseated everything
>

> Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
> of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
> manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
> (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
> Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
> hardware components or applications.
>
> Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
> with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
> hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
> models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
> consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
> before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
> hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
> still support Win9x.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Well since I can't even install windows on a formatted hard drive with
nothing on it, im assuming I can't run Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor. I
also can't run WinMe if I wanted to cause of my HT processor. I just can't
figure out why its shutting down when I'm attempting to install windows in
dos.