ATI just got handed their ass.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Yep. C'mon it needed said. In this little game of technology leapfrog everyone was on ATI's jock about how their new card was competing with nVidia's souped up version of a 6 month old card (Ti500). Where's all the lil ATI wonderboys now? They're all like, "But, but, but soon ATI will release a something something and blah blah". Woulda coulda shoulda oughta. ATI just got handed their ass.

Now come up with all the arguments you can...

Oh, and I'll preemptively say it: I'm trolling so STFU.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Wait, when exactly did Ati get handed their ass?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
3 words....la dee da...

<A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2649487" target="_new">P4 NW + DDR</A> = <font color=blue>Not Bad</font color=blue>

G

No matter where I look in the Geforce 4 specs I still cant find anything resembling Truform so ATI is still te only manufacturer to offer truely better visual quality that I can see and enjoy.

And further, untill these reviews stop just talking about max fps and mention fps under load they're all pointless.

I've used both the Geforce 3 Ti200 (set at 240/500) and the Radeon 8500 now under games such as UT / RTCW / Q3a / Myth 3 and the one thing that really stands out is that when the there's lots of action on the screen the Geforce is the card thats fps takes the biggest nosedive.

I'd prefer a card that gives me 45 - 100 fps than a card that offers me 20 - 200fps any day!

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Your GF3 takes a nosedive below 60fps when using Q3A? LOL. Stop downloading goat pr0n in the background and the fps problem should clear right up.

Give me a break. Now go run along and play some UT.

FatBurger

Illustrious
How about trying to understand his point, instead of simply insulting him?

He's right, usually the minimum FPS is left out, something that is Ati's strength.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Is that it? When the 8500 came out everyone was nVidia vs ATI this and that. Now where's all the loudmouths?

It's all quiet now. Watcho gonna say? Wait for ATI to release some new drivers? LOL. But the 8500 has PuffyForm you say? GTF outta here.

Don't forget boys and girls...when fall rolls around the GF4 will get souped up too. Should be some faster drivers by then too (yes that's right nVidia WILL release faster drivers...can you HONESTLY say ATI will?)

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
There is always one manifacture that comes out first and a second one to go out afther them whit equal or better product and most of all whit better pricing.

ATI place them on second place for a reason,to be second is not always bad,both Nvidia and ATI could come out tomorow whit a ...let say... 600Mhz GPU 975Mhz memory 4 pixel shader and so on,you get my point?
The reason they do nt do ot is simple,they would shoot themself in the foot.
Now if ATI fallow Nvidia,that is because that study that market,launch a product to compete at lower cost and force the other to come out whit something better.
When Nvidia will get tired of that game (and they will)or decide to stop it there, ATI will launch to top-of-the-line card like they use to when the voddo vs rage war was on and Nvidia(3dfx) will be 2nd back again.

This is called marketing strategies.

Sorry for my spelling I'm french...hey I ain't perfect!

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
I'm insulting him because he's insulting my intelligence.

You and I and everyone with a brain knows its the MINIMUM framerate that counts.

Now tell me a GF3 (any flavor) has a problem with the minimum framerate in Q3. Q3!!!???!!!???

In case you hadn't noticed Fatburger I'm trolling pretty heavy here (not a normal thing for me...I'm usually the helpful one). So if I step on some toes and get someone roused...all the more fun!

As a side topic...how does the 8500 run with an 8-bit stencil buffer and shadowmode 2 in q3? Seriously..I'm curious...It kills any video card I've seen (even a Quadro II on a P3 Xeon)

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Sure there are tons of marketing strategies going on..the GF4 was ready in december but didn't get released until now...but don't give me some "They lost the race because it was a strategic move" crap.

Come on...ATI still has ass-in-hand. Give me a better argument.

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
You read my review for the GF4 2 weeks before the official launch,info that i had in my hands for quite some time now but i was under NDA...if so you probably aware that i know some stuff in the biseness....trust me ATI has a card up their sleeves.

Sorry for my spelling I'm french...hey I ain't perfect!

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Q3 was not the only game he mentioned. As for insulting your intellegence, you're doing a good enough job on your own.

The GF4 TI cards seem to be little more than revisions of the GF3 cards. GF3 Rev 3 if you would (the GF3 TI's would be Rev 2). They have plenty of performance, but how well do they bear a load, and can Nvidia squeee any more out of them?

Also, I question why they didn't either incorperate the DX8 features into the new GF4MX, or name it the GF3MX. It's fast and a decient deal, but it's fighting with the GF3 for market share now with price and a lack of DX8. That move baffles me.

RAM Disk is not an instalation step.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
are you bored or something?
it seems to me that you have nothing better to do than to start another one of these ati vs. nvidia crap.
this is an unusual act on your part cause i usually see you helping people instead of being an a$$...

<A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2649487" target="_new">P4 NW + DDR</A> = <font color=blue>Not Bad</font color=blue>

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Ladies and Gentlemen we have a winner.

pr497 has called me out.

The truth is I got sooooooo sick of those ATI vs nVidia threads. I would have thought that when nVidia released such a dominating card everyone would STFU...people get so personal and defensive about their cards it cracks me up. It seemed like the ATI guys finally had a chance to take a shot at nVidia during the whole 8500 vs Ti500 debate and they took full advantage of it (they went on and on..god). I'm just enjoying how loud the silence is now. No one can seem to come up with an argument that outweighs the awesome benchmark results the GF4 is producing.

Here's a hint folks: Trueform, price, OVERpowered.

Being a Ti500 owner myself I'm well aware of how much $$$ the top end nVidia cards cost. I also think Trueform is pretty nifty even if it does look all puffy. And hell, my Ti500 runs at my "sweet spot" resolution on my 19" monitor just fine...for today, the GF4 is overpowered.

All that aside...man ATI just got their butt kicked. They did that tiny little leap over (or next to) the Ti500 then nvidia came in a bit later and left em in the dust.

Now if we could just get AMD and Intel to do this.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
So you are saying one of two things here:

The GF3 has framerate problems in Q3 - that is the point you are defending on his behalf.

The 8500 beats the GF4.

or are you saying both?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Man, who cares. Stop this endless bashing. The only reason that I chose the R8500 over the GF3Ti500 was not price but support. ATI's support in Canada is next to none here in Toronto. Hehe, living 5 min away from their main headquarters helps. Anyway, if my R8500 breaks 1 or 2 or even 5 years from now, I can rest assured that I can get a replacement from ATI within 2 days, no questions asked.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
The_KELRaTH said:
one thing that really stands out is that when the there's lots of action on the screen the Geforce is the card thats fps takes the biggest nosedive.

Smilin said:
Your GF3 takes a nosedive below 60fps when using Q3A?

He did not say that the GF3 sunk to unacceptable levels in Q3, he said that framerates fell faster for the GF cards that the Radeon cards when under a heavy load. Falling from 180 to 90 (not real numbers, just an example) is still plumeting.

On a raw performance scale, yes the GF4 currently holds the crown, and it holds a big lead. However, it is quite expensive, and the card that is ment to compete with the 8500 will not be out for 8 weeks. And the 8500 towers over the GF4 MX series due to it's extra features.

Ultimately, I want to see what happens next month, when the cards actualy hit the market, before it's official. What good is a kick ass card if you can't get your hands on one?

RAM Disk is not an instalation step.

Amair_sc

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2001
So if I follow your reasoning, AMD got their ass handed to them? ...

LOL! You should change your name from Smilin to Funny ;).

AMD + Intel = lower prices for me :)

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmm, that must really hurt! How did nVidia manage to take off ATI's ass and hand it over to ATI? Hmm, I wonder how that part looks now without an ass... :eek:

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

Maybe I was being to general so here were the tests I used.

I used a map for UT called DM-Crashtime - this is an evil map as its a real fps killer.
With the Radeon 8500 the fps never dropped lower than 45 whereas the Geforce 3 card could only just manage to stay above 30. (With normal UT maps like Deck16 fps is typically around 130).
(UT 1024 x 768 32bit OpenGL)

The same applies to RTCW - using Trenchtoast map standing out in the open the 8500 would sit about 44fps whereas the Geforce was about 38fps. Whenever there was an aerial bombardment where the screen shakes and there are huge explosion the 8500 would just flinch a bit dropping to 38/40 whereas the Geforce would hit the 15/16 mark for those few seconds.

Oh and Truform was on with the 8500 too.

As for being an ATI geek, as you're implying, hardly, the only ATI card I've ever had was the original Fury 32. Since then its been Geforce 1, 2 and 3. Before the Fury it was the Voodoo 1 and 2. I'm only buying the 8500 because it offers the highest visuals. If nvidia had incorporated the 3DFX technology out of the Rampage I would have been quite happy to buy the 4600

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I want T-Buffer back! It promised so much but we never got to see it in action!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
(I'm not necessarily replying to AMD man, just that u were the first person I clicked on). I find that my vid card (Quadro DCC, which is an OpenGL specific Gf3) doesn't take a nose dive in games, so I do not belive that argument is valid, and I have played all sorts of games.

Only if you let me see the Umpa Lumpa- Homer Simpson.

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
Let me be the first to say you need to get with reality the geforce4 is faster that was expected and frankly I was expecting something better from nVIDIA I knew it was going to beat the present ATI cards but the gap was unimpressive. Why do I say that because the GF4 is going to be nVIDIA flagship for 6 months at least seeing how they just came out and the top-line isn't even avaliable for purchase. Mark my words wait till you see the rv250. It is clocked at 350/350 compare to the present 275/275 even if driver performance remains the same which it will not (because the card is released with yet unseen drivers) it will provide competition for at least the gf 4 ti 4400 dollar for dollar it may ( I am a bit pessimistic ) beat the ti 4600. Don't give me the bad ATI drivers crap look at the latest drivers the are very stable and provide nice performance. The rv250 is not vapourware it is already in MASS production and set to be announced and maybe even released in March.Not to mention ATI's reply to the gf5 don't believe the drivel some websites tell you that the r300 is ATI's only chance to compete with the ti 4600 that is crap plus the r300 is dx 9 complient Microsoft made sure of that (Microsoft and ATI are very cozy right now). Dx9 beta testers abound since 1 month ago.

P.S. the high poly bug is fixed in the latest drivers that will be released soon.