The continuing saga...

FatBurger

Illustrious
Well, I finally had some time to install my new Radeon 8500. I haven't even touched my computer in about 3 weeks, but that's another story in itself.

Apparently the card is dead. I thought it was probably the CPU or RAM, but I swapped both of those with no luck. Yes, the video card is dead. Time to RMA it back to Newegg. Guess I won't be playing any Tribes for a while longer.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Nope, sold my old card to a friend.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'm planning on sticking with the 8500, I don't see any other options that look better.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Bummer, that's why I hate online shopping. It's generally unreliable. Until you can teleport your shopping to your home instantly without any problems at the atomic level, I'll be shopping in physical stores.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
And as much as I love getting ass raped by Best Buy and Circuit City, I'll stick to Newegg :wink:

eden

Champion
The best way is to order from nearby regions in your own country. You're in Toronto and the shop I was telling you about is in Ottawa, that is about 5 hours drive, but nevertheless the shipping is short time so you would eventually and rarely get any problems...

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
mmm seems alot of people like newegg...
im really thinkin of pickin up that leadtek mobo ive been crappin on about from them...
exchange rate kinda sucks though :(

Overclocked athlon 1200C @ 8.5 x 166FSB + PC2700 = GOOD! :smile:

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
the best buy circuit city comment

<b><font color=blue>** Speed 2108(down)/365(up) kbps **
(At least 42 times faster than a 56k modem) </font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Oh, ok. I'm in flat view, so I had no idea.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Sorry, somehow I missed your question. It's a retail Ati 8500. Apparently it's my motherboard, since the card works in my parent's Dell. Probably the AGP port is dead (since my old card had a burn spot, but still worked), but there's not really any way to tell for sure.

So here are my options for a suddenly needed upgrade. Let me know what you guys think. Prices are online/local, with all online prices from Newegg except the RDRAM, which is from GoGoCity. No place locally carries the TH7-II. This is basically what I would purchase from the AMD and Intel sides.

MSI K7T266 PRO2-RU - $117 (simply because it has USB2.0)
AMD Athlon XP 1600+ - $115
CRUCIAL PC2100 256MB x2 - $158
-------------------------------
Total: $390

ABIT TH7II-RAID - $164
Intel Pentium 4 1.6A - $148 (overclocked to hell and back, of course)
Samsung PC800 256MB x2 - $160
Total: $472

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
Newegg and Googlegear have good prices but If you live in CA and planning on spending more than 500 bucks on those shops pony up the taxes! then pay for shipping too! I try to shop for lowest prices that will be shipped from other states to avoid TAX!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
MSI K7T266 PRO2-RU - $117 (simply because it has USB2.0)
AMD Athlon XP 1600+ - $115
CRUCIAL PC2100 256MB x2 - $158
Total: $390

ABIT TH7II-RAID - $164
Intel Pentium 4 1.6A - $148 (overclocked to hell and back, of course)
Samsung PC800 256MB x2 - $160
Total: $472

Well burger, if you want to overclock, I say go for the p4, if you dont intend to overclock, go for the axp, simple as that.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

MadCat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
Here's my 2 cents...

Of the two choices, the Abit TH7II-RAID and P4 1.6A looks like a winner if you are willing to overclock. I'd say if you can get a modest overclock, then it's a performance winner (e.g., 33% overclock, both FSB and core would be a nice target). Looks like a sure bet, but YMMV.

As an added bonus, you will get the SSE2 capability, NetBurst performance enhancement, and the advanced thermal management solution.

From the CPU database at <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com/" target="_new">overclockers.com</A>:

Pentium 4 NW 1.6 Results....

Total Entries in Database for Pentium 4 NW 1.6 - 12
Average overclocked speed - 2296 Mhz
There wasn't any entries below 2132 MHz in the overclocking database for the NW 1.6A.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Thanks for the database info. I'm going to go with the P4 setup, unless something happens to change my mind. Now I just hope my tax return gets here quickly.