IE repair

IE6 (XP Home SP2) seems to be freezing a lot lately. Is there any way of
repairing \ reinstalling IE short of reinstalling SP2? Scannow I have tried
but the problem is still there.
8 answers Last reply
More about repair

    Hi ... See if this website can help

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_reinstall_ie_and_oe_6.htm

    "Walt G" <anon@universe.com> wrote in message
    > IE6 (XP Home SP2) seems to be freezing a lot lately. Is there any way of
    > repairing \ reinstalling IE short of reinstalling SP2? Scannow I have
    > tried but the problem is still there.

    hi,

    go to the Windows\inf folder find the correct file for ie left click and
    select INSTALL

    "Walt G" <anon@universe.com>, haber iletisinde þunlarý
    yazdý:OsVXxmGsFHA.1520@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > IE6 (XP Home SP2) seems to be freezing a lot lately. Is there any way of
    > repairing \ reinstalling IE short of reinstalling SP2? Scannow I have
    > tried but the problem is still there.

    Hi

    I have an XP Home installation disk with SP2 slipstreamed, but when I
    right-clicked on ie.inf and selected Install, it could not find IEXPLORE.EXE
    either on the Windows Disk or in my C:\ folder

    "Cankat Akdemir" <pcwars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > go to the Windows\inf folder find the correct file for ie left click and
    > select INSTALL
    >
    > "Walt G" <anon@universe.com>, haber iletisinde þunlarý
    > yazdý:OsVXxmGsFHA.1520@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >> IE6 (XP Home SP2) seems to be freezing a lot lately. Is there any way of
    >> repairing \ reinstalling IE short of reinstalling SP2? Scannow I have
    >> tried but the problem is still there.

    The file is IE.INF and you do a RIGHT-click, then select Install.

    Also see "How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP"
    <http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378>

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Cankat Akdemir wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > go to the Windows\inf folder find the correct file for ie left click
    > and select INSTALL
    >
    > "Walt G" <anon@universe.com>, haber iletisinde þunlarý
    > yazdý:OsVXxmGsFHA.1520@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >> IE6 (XP Home SP2) seems to be freezing a lot lately. Is there any
    >> way of repairing \ reinstalling IE short of reinstalling SP2?
    >> Scannow I have tried but the problem is still there.

    Have you looked at your \Program Files\Internet Explorer folder to see if IEXPLORE.EXE is present?

    If found, and given that your system has XP with SP2, give this a try. To reregister some IE DLL components.
    Select RUN from main start menu. Then type in
    "IExplore.exe /rereg" (without the quotes).

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Walt G wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have an XP Home installation disk with SP2 slipstreamed, but when I
    > right-clicked on ie.inf and selected Install, it could not find
    > IEXPLORE.EXE either on the Windows Disk or in my C:\ folder
    >

    > "Cankat Akdemir" <pcwars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> hi,
    >>
    >> go to the Windows\inf folder find the correct file for ie left click
    >> and select INSTALL
    >>
    >> "Walt G" <anon@universe.com>, haber iletisinde þunlarý
    >> yazdý:OsVXxmGsFHA.1520@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >>> IE6 (XP Home SP2) seems to be freezing a lot lately. Is there any
    >>> way of repairing \ reinstalling IE short of reinstalling SP2?
    >>> Scannow I have tried but the problem is still there.

    Hi

    That didn't work either. The problem may be that the file on my installation
    CD is in compressed form IEXPLORE.EX_ whereas the uncompressed version is
    expected.

    Walt G wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have an XP Home installation disk with SP2 slipstreamed, but when I
    > right-clicked on ie.inf and selected Install, it could not find
    > IEXPLORE.EXE either on the Windows Disk or in my C:\ folder
    >

    > "Cankat Akdemir" <pcwars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> hi,
    >>
    >> go to the Windows\inf folder find the correct file for ie left click
    >> and select INSTALL
    >>
    >> "Walt G" <anon@universe.com>, haber iletisinde þunlarý
    >> yazdý:OsVXxmGsFHA.1520@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >>> IE6 (XP Home SP2) seems to be freezing a lot lately. Is there any
    >>> way of repairing \ reinstalling IE short of reinstalling SP2?
    >>> Scannow I have tried but the problem is still there.

    Walt,
    Did you look with Windows Explorer and with Search to look for IEXPLORE on your HD?
    How would it have disappeared?
    Do you possibly run some cleanup after an infestation ?

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Walt G wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > That didn't work either. The problem may be that the file on my
    > installation CD is in compressed form IEXPLORE.EX_ whereas the
    > uncompressed version is expected.
    >

    > "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Have you looked at your \Program Files\Internet Explorer folder to
    > see if IEXPLORE.EXE is present?
    >
    > If found, and given that your system has XP with SP2, give this a
    > try. To reregister some IE DLL components.
    > Select RUN from main start menu. Then type in
    > "IExplore.exe /rereg" (without the quotes).
    >

    > Walt G wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have an XP Home installation disk with SP2 slipstreamed, but when I
    >> right-clicked on ie.inf and selected Install, it could not find
    >> IEXPLORE.EXE either on the Windows Disk or in my C:\ folder
    >>

    >> "Cankat Akdemir" <pcwars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> hi,
    >>>
    >>> go to the Windows\inf folder find the correct file for ie left click
    >>> and select INSTALL
    >>>
    >>> "Walt G" <anon@universe.com>, haber iletisinde þunlarý
    >>> yazdý:OsVXxmGsFHA.1520@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

    Hi Maurice

    IEXPLORE.EXE does exist in c:\program files\Internet Explorer, but I was
    assuming ie.inf was looking for the version on the installation CD

    Walt

    Walt G wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > That didn't work either. The problem may be that the file on my
    > installation CD is in compressed form IEXPLORE.EX_ whereas the
    > uncompressed version is expected.
    >

    > "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Have you looked at your \Program Files\Internet Explorer folder to
    > see if IEXPLORE.EXE is present?
    >
    > If found, and given that your system has XP with SP2, give this a
    > try. To reregister some IE DLL components.
    > Select RUN from main start menu. Then type in
    > "IExplore.exe /rereg" (without the quotes).
    >

    > Walt G wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have an XP Home installation disk with SP2 slipstreamed, but when I
    >> right-clicked on ie.inf and selected Install, it could not find
    >> IEXPLORE.EXE either on the Windows Disk or in my C:\ folder
    >>

    >> "Cankat Akdemir" <pcwars@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> hi,
    >>>
    >>> go to the Windows\inf folder find the correct file for ie left click
    >>> and select INSTALL
    >>>
    >>> "Walt G" <anon@universe.com>, haber iletisinde þunlarý
    >>> yazdý:OsVXxmGsFHA.1520@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

Internet Explorer Support Microsoft Windows XP