I've got a lot of songs in my music directory maybe about 70.
I need to send a list of these to my friend. Is there a way of printing
this
list to a file instead of writing each one down by hand?

Mickey

One way would be to go into Command prompt and (when you are in the correct
folder) type -
DIR >Mickey.txt

This will produce a file named Mickey.txt which can be opened with a word
processor. The file includes everything you saw on the screen so it will
need some editing but that is better than typing in everything. I would
suggest you save as, say. Mickey2.txt so you keep the original as is, just
in case.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Mickey Mouse wrote:
> I've got a lot of songs in my music directory maybe about 70.
> I need to send a list of these to my friend. Is there a way
> of printing this
> list to a file instead of writing each one down by hand?
>
> Mickey

You might want to try this program:

Directory Printer v5.1
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp

This program allows you to either print the list or save it to
a file that you could email to your friend.

Nepatsfan

Mickey Mouse wrote:
> I've got a lot of songs in my music directory maybe about 70.
> I need to send a list of these to my friend. Is there a way of printing
> this
> list to a file instead of writing each one down by hand?
>
> Mickey

From the command prompt (Start > Run > Cmd.exe), simply change to
the desired directory and type "dir > filelist.txt" or "dir > lpt1,"
just as you used to do in DOS. Any of the switches for the DIR
command (type "dir /?") will work with this command, if you wish to
modify the output. You can then subsequently edit the resulting text
file using NotePad, WordPad, Word, etc.

Alternatively:

HOW TO Add a Print Directory Feature for Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 09:04:02 -0400, Nepatsfan wrote:

> Mickey Mouse wrote:
>> I've got a lot of songs in my music directory maybe about 70.
>> I need to send a list of these to my friend. Is there a way
>> of printing this
>> list to a file instead of writing each one down by hand?
>>
>> Mickey
>
> You might want to try this program:
>
> Directory Printer v5.1
> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp
>
> This program allows you to either print the list or save it to
> a file that you could email to your friend.
>
> Nepatsfan

I use this program all the time, and it is free.
--
r.s.nevin@att.net

Thanks Bill,
I don't think that will work but I'll try it. I say that because to use the
command prompt
means you go into DOS. I believe Dos only allows 8 characters plus
extension.
Hard to believe Windows doesn't have this function..

"Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
> One way would be to go into Command prompt and (when you are in the
> correct folder) type -
> DIR >Mickey.txt
>
> This will produce a file named Mickey.txt which can be opened with a word
> processor. The file includes everything you saw on the screen so it will
> need some editing but that is better than typing in everything. I would
> suggest you save as, say. Mickey2.txt so you keep the original as is, just
> in case.
>
> Regards.
>
> Bill Ridgeway
> Computer Solutions
>
> "Mickey Mouse" <.> wrote in message
>> I've got a lot of songs in my music directory maybe about 70.
>> I need to send a list of these to my friend. Is there a way of printing
>> this
>> list to a file instead of writing each one down by hand?
>>
>> Mickey

Yes you're right. OK. Plan B - and this is even less elegant.

Go into Windows Explorer so that the listing (of as many files as possible)
is on the right-hand panel.
Press <print screen>
Open Word
Press <Paste> This will paste a copy of the Windows Explorer screen
If, as I suspect you want to manipulate this list -
Print from Word
Scan it back into Word using OCR

This may be like using an elephant to crack a peanut approach but it should
work. I told you it wasn't pretty!

> Thanks Bill,
> I don't think that will work but I'll try it. I say that because to use
> the command prompt
> means you go into DOS. I believe Dos only allows 8 characters plus
> extension.
> Hard to believe Windows doesn't have this function..
>

> "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
>> One way would be to go into Command prompt and (when you are in the
>> correct folder) type -
>> DIR >Mickey.txt
>>
>> This will produce a file named Mickey.txt which can be opened with a word
>> processor. The file includes everything you saw on the screen so it will
>> need some editing but that is better than typing in everything. I would
>> suggest you save as, say. Mickey2.txt so you keep the original as is,
>> just in case.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> Bill Ridgeway
>> Computer Solutions
>>
>> "Mickey Mouse" <.> wrote in message
>>> I've got a lot of songs in my music directory maybe about 70.
>>> I need to send a list of these to my friend. Is there a way of printing
>>> this
>>> list to a file instead of writing each one down by hand?
>>>
>>> Mickey

Try it first, you might be surprised.
--
Keith Willcocks

Mickey Mouse wrote:
> Thanks Bill,
> I don't think that will work but I'll try it. I say that because to use the
> command prompt
> means you go into DOS. I believe Dos only allows 8 characters plus
> extension.
> Hard to believe Windows doesn't have this function..

Your reasoning is flawed. The Command Line Interface (CLI) is most
definitely *not* MS-DOS, so it isn't affected by the limitations of that
entirely different operating system.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Bruce wrote on Sat, 03 Sep 2005 09:54:52 -0600:

BC> Mickey Mouse wrote:
??>> Thanks Bill,
??>> I don't think that will work but I'll try it. I say that
??>> because to use the command prompt means you go into DOS.
??>> I believe Dos only allows 8 characters plus
??>> extension. Hard to believe Windows doesn't have this
??>> function..
??>>
BC> Your reasoning is flawed. The Command Line Interface
BC> (CLI) is most definitely *not* MS-DOS, so it isn't affected
BC> by the limitations of that entirely different operating
BC> system.

Of course, Bruce is correct but I might add that you may get
more a satisfactory listing without editing out surplus
information by using DIR/B. Try Help Dir in the Command Window.

James Silverton.

Bill Ridgeway wrote:
> Yes you're right.

No, he isn't. The WinNT family of 32-bit graphical desktop operating
systems, of which WinXP is the latest generation, has never used,
included, or "ridden upon" MS-DOS. The Recovery Console's CLI (Command
Line Interface) is the closest you can come to the old "DOS mode." But
even this isn't affected by the limitations of an older OS.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Just for completeness, if you want subdirectories as well then try this:

dir /b /s MyList.txt

hope this proves useful.

James Silverton wrote:

> Bruce wrote on Sat, 03 Sep 2005 09:54:52 -0600:
>
> BC> Mickey Mouse wrote:
> ??>> Thanks Bill,
> ??>> I don't think that will work but I'll try it. I say that
> ??>> because to use the command prompt means you go into DOS.
> ??>> I believe Dos only allows 8 characters plus
> ??>> extension. Hard to believe Windows doesn't have this
> ??>> function..
> ??>>
> BC> Your reasoning is flawed. The Command Line Interface
> BC> (CLI) is most definitely *not* MS-DOS, so it isn't affected
> BC> by the limitations of that entirely different operating
> BC> system.
>
> Of course, Bruce is correct but I might add that you may get
> more a satisfactory listing without editing out surplus
> information by using DIR/B. Try Help Dir in the Command Window.
>
> James Silverton.

Hi, not wanting to be critical or offend you but I think you may have
left out a redirection ">"
dir /b /s >c:\MyList.txt
(This will send the output from dir /b /s [dir /BRIEF /Subdirs as
well] to the file Mylist.txt which will then be placed in the root
directory of drive c: (so you can find it, open it with wordpad and
edit out what you do not want and then print it from wordpad, this way
you can easily alter the fonts, page layout etc)).
I often find when I read my postings that I have made terrible typos
or got so carried away that I leave out words or parts of words.

Jim McC