BSOD - KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR and CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

rjkucia

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I recently installed Windows 8 RTM on my desktop. Unfortunately, I've been having lots of BSOD's. The system is mostly usable, but sometimes it will just crash randomly. Oddly enough, this seems to happen when it's idle or when I'm on the internet, rather than when I'm playing games and such. The only hardware difference after I upgraded to Win8 was that I installed it on an SSD. All of the BSOD's list ntoskrnl.exe, sometimes with other files, sometimes not. I'm not sure if I can add files on here, but if I can, let me know and I'll upload a zip of the minidumps. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Certainly could be. Even though SMART isn't really reliable as an indication of failure, I wouldn't take any chances. The Soft ECC Correction Rate failure gives you a leg to stand on if you are asked why the drive needs replacement. Back up your data and RMA the drive as soon as possible.
You can't add them here, but you can upload them to any hosting site you want and link to them here.

As for the blue screens themselves, I would suggest first checking for newer firmware for your SSD. Make sure that before you flash, you have all of your data backed up somewhere else. Also, the manufacturer may state that the newer firmware will perform a destructive flash, in which case all of your data will definitely be wiped. In that case, definitely make sure you have a backup of anything you need before flashing the firmware.

The other possibility is just a bad install. When I set up the RTM build on my SSD the first time in mid-August when it came out, I had a problem getting Windows to properly detect all of my other hard drives connected to my system. I fought with it for several hours, and then finally decided to wipe it and reinstall. After the new install wrapped up, everything worked perfectly.

rjkucia

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I have already updated the firmware, however nothing changed. I might try to have Windows do a repair or upgrade installation, that way I don't need to reinstall everything. The only other thing I could think of it being would be a bad SSD; however, I am not sure if these symptoms are consistent with that.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
These bugchecks seem to indicate that there is a problem faulting in pages that are paged out to disk. Run memtestx86+ for a few hours to check for RAM errors. If that doesn't find anything, it may be a problem with your SSD.

rjkucia

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Memtest didn't find anything. Besides, I didn't have any memory problems with Windows 7, so I would doubt that it's that. Is there way to check if the SSD is bad? Other than reinstalling Windows or replacing it, of course.

Certainly could be. Even though SMART isn't really reliable as an indication of failure, I wouldn't take any chances. The Soft ECC Correction Rate failure gives you a leg to stand on if you are asked why the drive needs replacement. Back up your data and RMA the drive as soon as possible.

Solution