Add New Hardware

everytime I double click the Add New Hardware icon from in Control Panel I
get an error message that says "You can install only one device at a time.
Another device installtion is underway, when it is finished you can try this
wizard again." It never finishes, appears to be hung up. I have disconnected
all peripherals and rebooted. I still get the same message. I have no idea
what device it is trying to install. I'm looking for suggestions on how to
stop it from trying to install, how to clear the hang up.
2 answers Last reply
More about hardware

    Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware tab>Device Manager button
    Now see if anything has a yellow Quotation Mark or Question Mark on it.
    If one has, that is the culprit. Rightclick it and click Properties, check
    it out.
    --
    XP-WNP
    Today is the first day of the

    "Poobah" wrote:

    > everytime I double click the Add New Hardware icon from in Control Panel I
    > get an error message that says "You can install only one device at a time.
    > Another device installtion is underway, when it is finished you can try this
    > wizard again." It never finishes, appears to be hung up. I have disconnected
    > all peripherals and rebooted. I still get the same message. I have no idea
    > what device it is trying to install. I'm looking for suggestions on how to
    > stop it from trying to install, how to clear the hang up.

    That doesn't do it. It sems to be part of a larger problem. After reformating
    the C hard drive "My Computer" no longer recognizes my USB 2.0 Western
    Digital hard drive. I used device manager to make sure that it could see the
    WD hard drive. It can. I checked out all of my drivers and everything seems
    OK.

    I than noticed that clicking the "Add Hardware" icon results in the
    previously mentioned error message. I have also noticed that when I try to
    "safely remove hardware" it will show the WD Drive, but under it is a yellow
    question mark with the message "unknown device on file manager.

    I actually have two related problems 1. how do I get the hung up add
    hardware to stop trying to install something. 2. how do I get my missing hard
    drive to show up in My computer?

    "Byte" wrote:

    > Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware tab>Device Manager button
    > Now see if anything has a yellow Quotation Mark or Question Mark on it.
    > If one has, that is the culprit. Rightclick it and click Properties, check
    > it out.
    > --
    > XP-WNP
    > Today is the first day of the
    > rest of your life.
    >

    > "Poobah" wrote:
    >
    > > everytime I double click the Add New Hardware icon from in Control Panel I
    > > get an error message that says "You can install only one device at a time.
    > > Another device installtion is underway, when it is finished you can try this
    > > wizard again." It never finishes, appears to be hung up. I have disconnected
    > > all peripherals and rebooted. I still get the same message. I have no idea
    > > what device it is trying to install. I'm looking for suggestions on how to
    > > stop it from trying to install, how to clear the hang up.

Hardware Devices Windows XP