everytime I double click the Add New Hardware icon from in Control Panel I
get an error message that says "You can install only one device at a time.
Another device installtion is underway, when it is finished you can try this
wizard again." It never finishes, appears to be hung up. I have disconnected
all peripherals and rebooted. I still get the same message. I have no idea
what device it is trying to install. I'm looking for suggestions on how to
stop it from trying to install, how to clear the hang up.

Byte

Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware tab>Device Manager button
Now see if anything has a yellow Quotation Mark or Question Mark on it.
If one has, that is the culprit. Rightclick it and click Properties, check
it out.
--
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the

"Poobah" wrote:

> everytime I double click the Add New Hardware icon from in Control Panel I
> get an error message that says "You can install only one device at a time.
> Another device installtion is underway, when it is finished you can try this
> wizard again." It never finishes, appears to be hung up. I have disconnected
> all peripherals and rebooted. I still get the same message. I have no idea
> what device it is trying to install. I'm looking for suggestions on how to
> stop it from trying to install, how to clear the hang up.

That doesn't do it. It sems to be part of a larger problem. After reformating
the C hard drive "My Computer" no longer recognizes my USB 2.0 Western
Digital hard drive. I used device manager to make sure that it could see the
WD hard drive. It can. I checked out all of my drivers and everything seems
OK.

I than noticed that clicking the "Add Hardware" icon results in the
previously mentioned error message. I have also noticed that when I try to
"safely remove hardware" it will show the WD Drive, but under it is a yellow
question mark with the message "unknown device on file manager.

I actually have two related problems 1. how do I get the hung up add
hardware to stop trying to install something. 2. how do I get my missing hard
drive to show up in My computer?

"Byte" wrote:

> Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware tab>Device Manager button
> Now see if anything has a yellow Quotation Mark or Question Mark on it.
> If one has, that is the culprit. Rightclick it and click Properties, check
> it out.
> --
> XP-WNP
> Today is the first day of the
> rest of your life.
>

> "Poobah" wrote:
>
> > everytime I double click the Add New Hardware icon from in Control Panel I
> > get an error message that says "You can install only one device at a time.
> > Another device installtion is underway, when it is finished you can try this
> > wizard again." It never finishes, appears to be hung up. I have disconnected
> > all peripherals and rebooted. I still get the same message. I have no idea
> > what device it is trying to install. I'm looking for suggestions on how to
> > stop it from trying to install, how to clear the hang up.

TRENDING THREADS