Dell's SoundMAx is mad at me!!

Hi,
I did go into CONTROL PANEL, clicked on SOUNDS,etc, trying to find the
icon, but received an error message that the Volume Control was not
installed .

When I need a change in the VOLUME, I can do so through Control Panel,
no problemo. But I cannot do it via the icon because there is none!

So I reinstalled SOUNDMAX from the Dell DRIVERS disk.

Zip, Nada, Nyet, No, Goose Egg, Nein, ! No sound Volume icon in
systray. Yup, I restarted when finished loading SoundMax.

Would you recommend that I REMOVE, RESTART and RE-INSTALL? I 'm a
afraid I may goof things up worse, but if it is the right way, I shall.

TERA THANKS! Mike Picture Rocks, AZ

David

Assuming Windows XP...go to
control panel > sound speech and audio devices > sounds and audio
devices > put a check in "place volume icon in tack bar"

Hope this helps.
Dave

Thanks, Dave, I did! It would not accept it, because the, "Voluume
Control " is not installed".

I tried to install the Volume Control by deleting and reloading SOUND
MAX, Dell's Audio Driver from the drivers disk!

I'm so frustrated!

Mike

Still, I check where it reads, "Check here to put Volume Control in
Taskbar, but i get the same message!

<axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, Dave, I did! It would not accept it, because the, "Voluume
> Control " is not installed".

I would go into Device Manager and delete the SoundMAX audio device
then reboot - it should be redetected which would then reload all the
drivers.

Volume Control is NOT part of the Soundmax driver package. It is a
Windows item. Take a look under Windows setup under multimedia and check
the Volume Control box.

--
Steve Williams

"Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in message
> Volume Control is NOT part of the Soundmax driver package. It is a
> Windows item. Take a look under Windows setup under multimedia and check
> the Volume Control box.
>

> --
> Steve Williams

Yeah, and besides ONE thread can handle this, OP. No need to start two
separate threads for a fairly simple problem....

Stew

Mike,
Instructions for reinstalling sndvol32.exe file in XP can be found at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319095

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the Windows
XP compact disc to the system_root\System32 folder on your computer's hard
disk. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into
your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. Press and hold down the SHIFT key
as you insert the CD-ROM to prevent it from starting automatically.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
4. Type the following lines at the command prompt, pressing ENTER
after each line, where CD-ROM drive is the drive letter of the computer's
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD-ROM, and system_root
is the path and folder name where the Windows system files are located
(generally C:\Windows):
CD-ROM drive:
cd i386
expand sndvol32.ex_ system_root\system32\sndvol32.exe

Note that there is a space between "ex_" and "system_root" in this
command.

For example, if your computer's CD-ROM drive is drive E, and the
folder that contains the Windows system files is C:\Windows, type the
following lines at the command prompt (pressing ENTER after each line):
e:
cd i386
expand sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\sndvol32.exe
5. Type exit to quit the command prompt.
6. Verify that you can start Volume Control and that the Volume icon
is displayed in the notification area (if you selected this option).

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>