Dell's SoundMAx is mad at me!!

Hi,
I did go into CONTROL PANEL, clicked on SOUNDS,etc, trying to find the
icon, but received an error message that the Volume Control was not
installed .

When I need a change in the VOLUME, I can do so through Control Panel,
no problemo. But I cannot do it via the icon because there is none!

So I reinstalled SOUNDMAX from the Dell DRIVERS disk.

Zip, Nada, Nyet, No, Goose Egg, Nein, ! No sound Volume icon in
systray. Yup, I restarted when finished loading SoundMax.

Would you recommend that I REMOVE, RESTART and RE-INSTALL? I 'm a
afraid I may goof things up worse, but if it is the right way, I shall.

TERA THANKS! Mike Picture Rocks, AZ
6 answers Last reply
More about dell soundmax

    Assuming Windows XP...go to
    control panel > sound speech and audio devices > sounds and audio
    devices > put a check in "place volume icon in tack bar"

    Hope this helps.
    Dave

    Thanks, Dave, I did! It would not accept it, because the, "Voluume
    Control " is not installed".

    I tried to install the Volume Control by deleting and reloading SOUND
    MAX, Dell's Audio Driver from the drivers disk!

    I'm so frustrated!

    Mike

    Still, I check where it reads, "Check here to put Volume Control in
    Taskbar, but i get the same message!

    <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, Dave, I did! It would not accept it, because the, "Voluume
    > Control " is not installed".

    I would go into Device Manager and delete the SoundMAX audio device
    then reboot - it should be redetected which would then reload all the
    drivers.

    Volume Control is NOT part of the Soundmax driver package. It is a
    Windows item. Take a look under Windows setup under multimedia and check
    the Volume Control box.

    --
    Steve Williams

    "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in message
    > Volume Control is NOT part of the Soundmax driver package. It is a
    > Windows item. Take a look under Windows setup under multimedia and check
    > the Volume Control box.
    >

    > --
    > Steve Williams

    Yeah, and besides ONE thread can handle this, OP. No need to start two
    separate threads for a fairly simple problem....

    Stew

    Mike,
    Instructions for reinstalling sndvol32.exe file in XP can be found at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319095

    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the Windows
    XP compact disc to the system_root\System32 folder on your computer's hard
    disk. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into
    your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. Press and hold down the SHIFT key
    as you insert the CD-ROM to prevent it from starting automatically.
    2. Click Start, and then click Run.
    3. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
    4. Type the following lines at the command prompt, pressing ENTER
    after each line, where CD-ROM drive is the drive letter of the computer's
    CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD-ROM, and system_root
    is the path and folder name where the Windows system files are located
    (generally C:\Windows):
    CD-ROM drive:
    cd i386
    expand sndvol32.ex_ system_root\system32\sndvol32.exe

    Note that there is a space between "ex_" and "system_root" in this
    command.

    For example, if your computer's CD-ROM drive is drive E, and the
    folder that contains the Windows system files is C:\Windows, type the
    following lines at the command prompt (pressing ENTER after each line):
    e:
    cd i386
    expand sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\sndvol32.exe
    5. Type exit to quit the command prompt.
    6. Verify that you can start Volume Control and that the Volume icon
    is displayed in the notification area (if you selected this option).

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    Thanks, Dave, I did! It would not accept it, because the, "Voluume
    Control " is not installed".

    I tried to install the Volume Control by deleting and reloading SOUND
    MAX, Dell's Audio Driver from the drivers disk!

    I'm so frustrated!

    Mike

    Still, I check where it reads, "Check here to put Volume Control in
    Taskbar, but i get the same message!

Dell Control Panel Error Message Computers