Unused Icon Removal SCREWED UP

I am using XP Pro. There are two user accounts setup. The other user was
logged in and received one of those automatic notices asking if they wanted
to remove unused Desktop Icons. They responded yes. Unfortunately this
action removed icons from my account as well. These were NOT unused icons.
Why is this program written this way? All of the SO CALLED unused icons
were moved to a folder C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Unused
Desktop Shortcuts in the other account. No such folder exists in my
account. How do I get my Icons back and why doesn't this stupid program
only remove the unused Icons from the account of the user that requested it
to happen?
5 answers Last reply
More about unused icon removal screwed

    Turn off the Desktop Cleanup Wizard.

    When the Desktop Cleanup Wizard runs, it places unused shortcuts into a
    folder on the desktop called Unused Desktop Shortcuts. However, if you want,
    these shortcuts can be recovered from this folder.

    Right-click a blank spot on the desktop, and then click Properties to open
    the Display Properties dialog box.
    Click the Desktop tab.
    Click Customize desktop to open the Desktop Items dialog box.
    Click to clear the Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard every 60 days check box.
    Click OK twice to close the dialog boxes.
    -----

    A Description of the Desktop Cleanup Wizard
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293154

    HOW TO: Use the Desktop Cleanup Wizard in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306542

    HOW TO: Disable the Automatic Desktop Cleanup Feature in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320154

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:DA3670BE-76BA-4BB5-935B-A5D239398014@microsoft.com,
    XPuser <XPuser@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I am using XP Pro. There are two user accounts setup. The other user was
    > logged in and received one of those automatic notices asking if they
    > wanted to remove unused Desktop Icons. They responded yes.
    > Unfortunately this action removed icons from my account as well. These
    > were NOT unused icons. Why is this program written this way? All of the
    > SO CALLED unused icons were moved to a folder C:\Documents and
    > Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Unused Desktop Shortcuts in the other account.
    > No such folder exists in my account. How do I get my Icons back and why
    > doesn't this stupid program only remove the unused Icons from the account
    > of the user that requested it to happen?

    Wesley.

    Have you ever notice that the Disk Cleanup wizard also removes the *All
    User's* Desktop Icons to the Unused Desktop Folder on the *User's* Desktop?
    So now, all other users are affected since the wizard has removed the
    Shortcut and did not move the shortcut in their Unused Desktop Folder.

    --
    William

    > Turn off the Desktop Cleanup Wizard.
    >
    > When the Desktop Cleanup Wizard runs, it places unused shortcuts into a
    > folder on the desktop called Unused Desktop Shortcuts. However, if you
    > want,
    > these shortcuts can be recovered from this folder.
    >
    > Right-click a blank spot on the desktop, and then click Properties to open
    > the Display Properties dialog box.
    > Click the Desktop tab.
    > Click Customize desktop to open the Desktop Items dialog box.
    > Click to clear the Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard every 60 days check box.
    > Click OK twice to close the dialog boxes.
    > -----
    >
    > A Description of the Desktop Cleanup Wizard
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293154
    >
    > HOW TO: Use the Desktop Cleanup Wizard in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306542
    >
    > HOW TO: Disable the Automatic Desktop Cleanup Feature in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320154
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:DA3670BE-76BA-4BB5-935B-A5D239398014@microsoft.com,
    > XPuser <XPuser@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> I am using XP Pro. There are two user accounts setup. The other user
    >> was
    >> logged in and received one of those automatic notices asking if they
    >> wanted to remove unused Desktop Icons. They responded yes.
    >> Unfortunately this action removed icons from my account as well. These
    >> were NOT unused icons. Why is this program written this way? All of the
    >> SO CALLED unused icons were moved to a folder C:\Documents and
    >> Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Unused Desktop Shortcuts in the other account.
    >> No such folder exists in my account. How do I get my Icons back and why
    >> doesn't this stupid program only remove the unused Icons from the account
    >> of the user that requested it to happen?

    Hi William,

    Desktop Cleanup Wizard has only run once on this machine. When I first got
    XP and didn't know anything about the Wizard. I have had it turned off ever
    since I knew how.

    Ok, I just ran it manually from the Desktop right click menu.

    I got this error...
    ---------------------------
    Error Copying File or Folder
    ---------------------------
    Cannot copy You receive a Windows File Protection Files that are required
    for windows to run properly have been replaced by unknown versions error in
    Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000: Cannot find the specified
    path.

    Make sure you specify the correct path.
    ---------------------------
    OK
    ---------------------------

    I wonder what that's all about?

    Oh, it's a shortcut to a KB article.

    Yep, the Unused Desktop Shortcuts folder is on my Desktop.

    C:\Documents and Settings\Wesley P. Vogel\Desktop\Unused Desktop Shortcuts

    Good reason to turn the Desktop Cleanup Wizard off.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OmqdHAOsFHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    WTC <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wesley.
    >
    > Have you ever notice that the Disk Cleanup wizard also removes the *All
    > User's* Desktop Icons to the Unused Desktop Folder on the *User's*
    > Desktop? So now, all other users are affected since the wizard has
    > removed the Shortcut and did not move the shortcut in their Unused
    > Desktop Folder.
    >
    > --
    > William

    >> Turn off the Desktop Cleanup Wizard.
    >>
    >> When the Desktop Cleanup Wizard runs, it places unused shortcuts into a
    >> folder on the desktop called Unused Desktop Shortcuts. However, if you
    >> want,
    >> these shortcuts can be recovered from this folder.
    >>
    >> Right-click a blank spot on the desktop, and then click Properties to
    >> open the Display Properties dialog box.
    >> Click the Desktop tab.
    >> Click Customize desktop to open the Desktop Items dialog box.
    >> Click to clear the Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard every 60 days check box.
    >> Click OK twice to close the dialog boxes.
    >> -----
    >>
    >> A Description of the Desktop Cleanup Wizard
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293154
    >>
    >> HOW TO: Use the Desktop Cleanup Wizard in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306542
    >>
    >> HOW TO: Disable the Automatic Desktop Cleanup Feature in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320154
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:DA3670BE-76BA-4BB5-935B-A5D239398014@microsoft.com,
    >> XPuser <XPuser@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I am using XP Pro. There are two user accounts setup. The other user
    >>> was
    >>> logged in and received one of those automatic notices asking if they
    >>> wanted to remove unused Desktop Icons. They responded yes.
    >>> Unfortunately this action removed icons from my account as well. These
    >>> were NOT unused icons. Why is this program written this way? All of
    >>> the SO CALLED unused icons were moved to a folder C:\Documents and
    >>> Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\Unused Desktop Shortcuts in the other
    >>> account. No such folder exists in my account. How do I get my Icons
    >>> back and why doesn't this stupid program only remove the unused Icons
    >>> from the account of the user that requested it to happen?

    Wesley,

    I have the Wizard also disabled as well, tried it once and did not like the
    results.

    --
    William

> [...]
    >>> folder on the desktop called Unused Desktop Shortcuts. However, if you
    >>> want,
    >>> these shortcuts can be recovered from this folder.
    >>>
    >>> Right-click a blank spot on the desktop, and then click Properties to
    >>> open the Display Properties dialog box.
    >>> Click the Desktop tab.
    >>> Click Customize desktop to open the Desktop Items dialog box.
    >>> Click to clear the Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard every 60 days check box.
    >>> Click OK twice to close the dialog boxes.
    >>> -----
    >>>
    >>> A Description of the Desktop Cleanup Wizard
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293154
    >>>
    >>> HOW TO: Use the Desktop Cleanup Wizard in Windows XP
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306542
    >>>
    >>> HOW TO: Disable the Automatic Desktop Cleanup Feature in Windows XP

    I messed up my Desktop twice today. ;-) I took that as a hint and cleaned
    up a little myself.

    It looks better than my desk here in the den. Maybe I ought to take that as
    a hint also.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OV%23KCbPsFHA.3340@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    WTC <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wesley,
    >
    > I have the Wizard also disabled as well, tried it once and did not like
    > the results.
    >
    > --
    > William

    >> Hi William,
    >>
    >> Desktop Cleanup Wizard has only run once on this machine. When I first
    >> got
    >> XP and didn't know anything about the Wizard. I have had it turned off
    >> ever
    >> since I knew how.
    >>
    >> Ok, I just ran it manually from the Desktop right click menu.
    >>
    >> I got this error...
    >> ---------------------------
    >> Error Copying File or Folder
    >> ---------------------------
    >> Cannot copy You receive a Windows File Protection Files that are required
    >> for windows to run properly have been replaced by unknown versions error
    >> in
    >> Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000: Cannot find the
    >> specified
    >> path.
    >>
    >> Make sure you specify the correct path.
    >> ---------------------------
    >> OK
    >> ---------------------------
    >>
    >> I wonder what that's all about?
    >>
    >> Oh, it's a shortcut to a KB article.
    >>
    >> Yep, the Unused Desktop Shortcuts folder is on my Desktop.
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\Wesley P. Vogel\Desktop\Unused Desktop
    >> Shortcuts
    >>
    >> Good reason to turn the Desktop Cleanup Wizard off.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:OmqdHAOsFHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    >> WTC <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Wesley.
    >>>
    >>> Have you ever notice that the Disk Cleanup wizard also removes the *All
    >>> User's* Desktop Icons to the Unused Desktop Folder on the *User's*
    >>> Desktop? So now, all other users are affected since the wizard has
    >>> removed the Shortcut and did not move the shortcut in their Unused
    >>> Desktop Folder.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> William

Icons Microsoft User Accounts Windows XP