BIOS has detected a non-optimal memory configuration.

Hey, When i start my cpu, i get this screen that says BIOS has detected a
non-optimal memory configuration Dual Channel operation requires identical
paired DIMMS installed in both memory channels. Changing the existing DIMM
config. can improve systems memory Bus Bandwith. Channel A DIMM 0 should
match Channel B DIMM 0
Channel A DIMM 1 should match Channel B DIMM 1. Press<F4> For stepup.
and thats it, it dosent even get to my desktop, it does not even make it to
the windows XP scren and when i press F4 i get all this things i have no clue
what, and what not, to touch. Im not a big cpu person who knows all these
things, so anyone that could help me solve this problem WITHOUT haivng to
loose all my files, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
5 answers Last reply
More about bios detected optimal memory configuration

    Robert wrote:
    > Hey, When i start my cpu, i get this screen that says BIOS has detected a
    > non-optimal memory configuration Dual Channel operation requires identical
    > paired DIMMS installed in both memory channels. Changing the existing DIMM
    > config. can improve systems memory Bus Bandwith. Channel A DIMM 0 should
    > match Channel B DIMM 0
    > Channel A DIMM 1 should match Channel B DIMM 1. Press<F4> For stepup.
    > and thats it, it dosent even get to my desktop, it does not even make it to
    > the windows XP scren and when i press F4 i get all this things i have no clue
    > what, and what not, to touch. Im not a big cpu person who knows all these
    > things, so anyone that could help me solve this problem WITHOUT haivng to
    > loose all my files, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

    You're fortunate in that you have an error message that tells you
    exactly what is wrong, and clearly implies how to fix it. (It also
    makes it clear that you have a hardware problem and that, if it's
    handled properly, you're in no danger of losing any data.)

    Have you added non-compatible RAM to the system in an attempt to
    upgrade your computer? If so, simply remove it and replace it with the
    proper type of RAM.

    If you haven't added any new RAM modules, then the error message means
    that one of your existing RAM modules has failed. Replace the defective
    unit, and you're golden.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    i havent done a thing to the cpu...no upgrades..no added memory..i just came
    home..it was working fine, then it started to run a little slow, so i
    restarted it, but since then i keep getting this message.

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > Robert wrote:
    > > Hey, When i start my cpu, i get this screen that says BIOS has detected a
    > > non-optimal memory configuration Dual Channel operation requires identical
    > > paired DIMMS installed in both memory channels. Changing the existing DIMM
    > > config. can improve systems memory Bus Bandwith. Channel A DIMM 0 should
    > > match Channel B DIMM 0
    > > Channel A DIMM 1 should match Channel B DIMM 1. Press<F4> For stepup.
    > > and thats it, it dosent even get to my desktop, it does not even make it to
    > > the windows XP scren and when i press F4 i get all this things i have no clue
    > > what, and what not, to touch. Im not a big cpu person who knows all these
    > > things, so anyone that could help me solve this problem WITHOUT haivng to
    > > loose all my files, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
    >

    > You're fortunate in that you have an error message that tells you
    > exactly what is wrong, and clearly implies how to fix it. (It also
    > makes it clear that you have a hardware problem and that, if it's
    > handled properly, you're in no danger of losing any data.)
    >
    > Have you added non-compatible RAM to the system in an attempt to
    > upgrade your computer? If so, simply remove it and replace it with the
    > proper type of RAM.
    >
    > If you haven't added any new RAM modules, then the error message means
    > that one of your existing RAM modules has failed. Replace the defective
    > unit, and you're golden.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    Robert

    Have you recently installed more memory, or has somebody done it for you?..
    the computer is telling you that the memory is not installed correctly..
    some motherboards expect memory modules to match exactly, and will not work
    unless they do.. it could be that they are just not paired correctly, or
    that there is a faulty memory module installed..

    You will need to give us some history on any upgrades done, or go back to
    the installer..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    Robert wrote:
    > i havent done a thing to the cpu...no upgrades..no added memory..i just came
    > home..it was working fine, then it started to run a little slow, so i
    > restarted it, but since then i keep getting this message.

    First, let's make sure that we're speaking about the same things. A
    CPU is a semiconductor chip on the motherboard inside your computer. It
    serves as the "brain" of the PC. No one has asked if you've altered the
    CPU; we asked if you'd added any new RAM.

    As you claim not to have made any hardware changes, this narrows down
    the troubleshooting process considerably. You apparently now have a
    defective RAM module. All you need do now is determine which module is
    bad, and then replace it. I should mention, though, that there is a
    slight possibility that your motherboard have developed a flaw, and can
    no longer access the RAM module(s) properly.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Robert

    It would appear that one of your memory modules is no longer functioning as
    it should.. you can either use trial and error to determine which memory
    module is not working, and then re-arrange existing memory to get your
    computer up and running, replace the faulty module with a known working
    example, or take it to a local repairer and get him/her to work it all out
    for you..

    --

    >i havent done a thing to the cpu...no upgrades..no added memory..i just
    >came
    > home..it was working fine, then it started to run a little slow, so i
    > restarted it, but since then i keep getting this message.
    >
    > "Bruce Chambers" wrote:
    >
    >> Robert wrote:
    >> > Hey, When i start my cpu, i get this screen that says BIOS has detected
    >> > non-optimal memory configuration Dual Channel operation requires
    >> > identical
    >> > paired DIMMS installed in both memory channels. Changing the existing
    >> > DIMM
    >> > config. can improve systems memory Bus Bandwith. Channel A DIMM 0
    >> > should
    >> > match Channel B DIMM 0
    >> > Channel A DIMM 1 should match Channel B DIMM 1. Press<F4> For stepup.
    >> > and thats it, it dosent even get to my desktop, it does not even make
    >> > it to
    >> > the windows XP scren and when i press F4 i get all this things i have
    >> > no clue
    >> > what, and what not, to touch. Im not a big cpu person who knows all
    >> > these
    >> > things, so anyone that could help me solve this problem WITHOUT haivng
    >> > loose all my files, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
    >>

    >> You're fortunate in that you have an error message that tells you
    >> exactly what is wrong, and clearly implies how to fix it. (It also
    >> makes it clear that you have a hardware problem and that, if it's
    >> handled properly, you're in no danger of losing any data.)
    >>
    >> Have you added non-compatible RAM to the system in an attempt to
    >> upgrade your computer? If so, simply remove it and replace it with the
    >> proper type of RAM.
    >>
    >> If you haven't added any new RAM modules, then the error message means
    >> that one of your existing RAM modules has failed. Replace the defective
    >> unit, and you're golden.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Bruce Chambers
    >>
    >> Help us help you:
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>
    >> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    >> both at once. - RAH

Configuration Memory DIMM Windows XP