add wireless to existing LAN

i need to add a wireless router to my existing LAN.
i tried replacing the LinkSys wired router with the new DLink wireless but
it is somehow blocking outside traffic from seeing my web server, etc. i
have explored other avenues of getting it right so let's not go there.

i would like to know how to install the proper cabling to get the DLink
online. would i simply use a strait cable from one of the ports on DLink
router to my switch?

i know i need to get the IPs and subnets of all machines in line and disable
DHCP on one of the routers. it's the hard wiring i'm lost at.

thanks much,
mcnews

Dlink's routerws have automatic sensing as to which type of cbale is being
pluged in. However, in some models they provide a extra cable for older
model cable/dsl modems.
With the cable/dsl modem unplugged from power and the Dlink router unplugged
install cable from the modem to the router's WAN port.

Turn on the cable/dsl modem first. then turn on the Dlink router. Dlink's
router should automatically obtain your ISP's IP lease. You should be
working. If not redo the above using the special cable provided by Dlink.
"mcnewsxp" <mcourter@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> i need to add a wireless router to my existing LAN.
> i tried replacing the LinkSys wired router with the new DLink wireless but
> it is somehow blocking outside traffic from seeing my web server, etc. i
> have explored other avenues of getting it right so let's not go there.
>
> i would like to know how to install the proper cabling to get the DLink
> online. would i simply use a strait cable from one of the ports on DLink
> router to my switch?
>
> i know i need to get the IPs and subnets of all machines in line and
disable
> DHCP on one of the routers. it's the hard wiring i'm lost at.
>
> thanks much,
> mcnews

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 14:06:08 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , "mcnewsxp"
<mcourter@mindspring.com> wrote:

>i need to add a wireless router to my existing LAN.
>i tried replacing the LinkSys wired router with the new DLink wireless but
>it is somehow blocking outside traffic from seeing my web server, etc. i
>have explored other avenues of getting it right so let's not go there.

I presume you opened port 80 on its firewall, and forwarded it to your
webserver machine, which had a fixed internal IP?

>i would like to know how to install the proper cabling to get the DLink
>online. would i simply use a strait cable from one of the ports on DLink
>router to my switch?

Connect the two units together with ordinary Cat5 cable.

>i know i need to get the IPs and subnets of all machines in line and disable
>DHCP on one of the routers. it's the hard wiring i'm lost at.

Its trivial, just connect them together.

--
Mark McIntyre

> >i need to add a wireless router to my existing LAN.
> >i tried replacing the LinkSys wired router with the new DLink wireless
but
> >it is somehow blocking outside traffic from seeing my web server, etc. i
> >have explored other avenues of getting it right so let's not go there.
>
> I presume you opened port 80 on its firewall, and forwarded it to your
> webserver machine, which had a fixed internal IP?

good thing you didn't ASSume.
;^p

> >i would like to know how to install the proper cabling to get the DLink
> >online. would i simply use a strait cable from one of the ports on DLink
> >router to my switch?
>
> Connect the two units together with ordinary Cat5 cable.
>
> >i know i need to get the IPs and subnets of all machines in line and
disable
> >DHCP on one of the routers. it's the hard wiring i'm lost at.
>
> Its trivial, just connect them together.

beautiful!
i will try it.
thanks much!