Voodoo2 SLI vs TNT2?

G

OK I've dragged these two ancient 3D setups out of my closet and I want to make a system to give to a relative for their kids. However, for the life of me I cannot remember which is supposed to be faster, discounting things like the ability to display 32bit color and such (I'd combine the Voodoo2's with a S3 Trio64 or some other weak video card). I reckon they'll be playing things mostly like Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Quake 3, the CPU will be a P3-800 and the OS will be Win98SE.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
For D3D games, the TNT2 will be faster. For Q3, the VooDoo2 might be. The TNT2 can be overclocked well, and an overclocked TNT2 beats an equally overclocked MX200. If your VooDoo is an accelerator card, you could use both, and set up which one the game uses.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

I am talking about the old 12MB 3D only Voodoo2 PCI cards which need a separate 2D card to work. I believe they run at 95MHz stock, but in SLI configuration, i.e. two linked together, they each run at about 90MHz. So you get an effective 180MHz give or take...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, Mr Robotnik, I would go with either the TNT2 alone, or both the TNT2 and the VooDoo2. The VooDoo2 will work better in games that use Glide, while the TNT2 will work better in everything else.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Haha, I mistook your tagline from that REM song as a question asking me what the clock frequency of the Voodoo2's was! :)