Trying to install Windows Xp Pro

September 3, 2005 8:35:03 PM

I currently have Windows XP Home SP2 but I want to upgrade it to
Professional. I bought an XP Pro disk about a year ago and the computer says
that the version that I am using is newer than that on the disk and that it
won't let me install it. What can I do to install it?

More about : install windows pro

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 8:48:19 PM

"JoshuaGill" <JoshuaGill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I currently have Windows XP Home SP2 but I want to upgrade it to
>Professional. I bought an XP Pro disk about a year ago and the computer says
>that the version that I am using is newer than that on the disk and that it
>won't let me install it. What can I do to install it?

You need to create a new Windows XP Pro installation CD that has
Service Pack 2 slipstreamed into it, and then use that to install XP
Pro.

You will need:
1: A CDRW drive
2. The full Service Pack 2 which you can download from
3. Slipstreaming software such as nlite (free) from
http://www.nliteos.com

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 10:19:01 PM

If I do this, will I lose all of my files and data? What is the
slipstreaming? Do I need to use it?

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "JoshuaGill" <JoshuaGill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I currently have Windows XP Home SP2 but I want to upgrade it to
> >Professional. I bought an XP Pro disk about a year ago and the computer says
> >that the version that I am using is newer than that on the disk and that it
> >won't let me install it. What can I do to install it?
>
> You need to create a new Windows XP Pro installation CD that has
> Service Pack 2 slipstreamed into it, and then use that to install XP
> Pro.
>
> You will need:
> 1: A CDRW drive
> 2. The full Service Pack 2 which you can download from
> 3. Slipstreaming software such as nlite (free) from
> http://www.nliteos.com
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

September 4, 2005 12:37:01 AM

Ron,

I went to the website that you gave me and it says that it is for "Network
Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers." Is it okay for
me to download this?

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "JoshuaGill" <JoshuaGill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I currently have Windows XP Home SP2 but I want to upgrade it to
> >Professional. I bought an XP Pro disk about a year ago and the computer says
> >that the version that I am using is newer than that on the disk and that it
> >won't let me install it. What can I do to install it?
>
> You need to create a new Windows XP Pro installation CD that has
> Service Pack 2 slipstreamed into it, and then use that to install XP
> Pro.
>
> You will need:
> 1: A CDRW drive
> 2. The full Service Pack 2 which you can download from
> 3. Slipstreaming software such as nlite (free) from
> http://www.nliteos.com
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 4:17:45 AM

In article <59B59691-6AE6-4996-BE6D-31BF232B9913@microsoft.com>,
JoshuaGill@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> I currently have Windows XP Home SP2 but I want to upgrade it to
> Professional. I bought an XP Pro disk about a year ago and the computer says
> that the version that I am using is newer than that on the disk and that it
> won't let me install it. What can I do to install it?

If you want to install a clean copy it doesn't matter what version or
what SP have been installed:

1) Boot from the Windows XP CD - you may have to change your BIOS BOOT
selection to allow you to boot from the CD instead of Hard Drive.

2) Start the install process and find/delete the existing Windows
partitions - this will ERASE EVERYTHING, you can not easily recover from
this step.

3) Reboot - from the Windows XP CD

4) Create the Windows Partition as you see fit

5) Complete the installation on the newly partitioned drive

Understand - THIS METHOD WIPES THE ENTIRE DRIVE, THERE WILL BE NO DATA
ON IT, IT WILL BE THE SAME AS A NEW/BLANK DRIVE ONCE YOU DELETE THE
PARTITION.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

"JoshuaGill" <JoshuaGill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>If I do this, will I lose all of my files and data? What is the
>slipstreaming? Do I need to use it?

Slipstreaming is the process by which you create an updated
installation CD by merging the contents of the original installation
CD with the contents of the latest Service Pack.

Creating the new installation CD will not jeopardize your existing
data or Windows installation.

When you have created the new installation CD you use it to upgrade
your computer from Home to Pro, and you will no longer receive the
message about your installed version being newer.

There is always some risk when doing an operating system upgrade, but
that risk must be acceptable to you because you have already tried to
do this.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 8:18:02 PM

Ok. I have never done this before. Do I need to download the slipstreaming
software first, then go the website and download the new software and then
create the new CD?

I went to the website that you gave me and it says that it is for "Network
Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers." Is it okay for
me to download this?

Will the slipstreaming software give me directions?

!