Price drops in the next month for gf3?

cyn1k

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2002
I'm planning on purchasing a new computer soon, probably within the first week of march.. so my question is, when do you expect the geforce3 (or) radeon cards will drop to a significantly lower price? looking at price's now they still seem pretty expensive.. also is it worth investing in a geforce3 ti200 now with a geforce4 just hitting the markets? I find the (expected) lower price very appealing and just hope it will last.. comments?

mystic

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
Yes both geforce and ati cards are droping prices fast. Teh ati 8500 with128mb memory is coming out to challange the geforce4 cards. I would wait until the new ati card comes out to see how it compares with the geforce 4's.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
It's probably not the extra 64MB that's going to do anything, it's going to be the new drivers that are going to come with it. However, they will also be available for the R8500 64MB.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Not 2X, but we've seen nVidia drivers pull up to 50% performance improvement, so why can't ATI?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
The geforce3 Ti500 will have to drop. its on the same price point as some of the Geforce 4 series. So why would you pay the same for a G3 as a G4? You wouldnt, so the G3 series is gonna have to come down.
Realistically, you get one more shader pipe, faster GPU/Memory and better algorythms. Oh yeah, accuview if your into anti-aliasing and twin moniters. But the G3 will still be able to do everything the G4 will (graphically), just slower.
Having said all that, I am waiting until late September to buy anything. By then.. Hammer and its mobo's should be out. Whats better is that the Geforce 4 prices will have dropped by then. My old geforce ultra will get me through till then.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Who said the GF4 was more advanced. The only GF4 that that's the R8500 can't reach is the Ti4600. The R8500's single vertex shader is nearly as powerful as the GF4Ti's dual shaders in 3DMark2001. I don't see the GF4Ti being superior hardware at all. HyperZII is superior to LMAII spec-wise. The R8500 can process more texels per pass than a GF4Ti can. The R8500 is still "more advanced" than the GF4Ti in many ways. I think it CAN compete.