WEP Codes

where does one find WEP codes to use with wireless routers?

thanks much,
mcnews
11 answers Last reply
More about codes

    mcnewsxp wrote:

    > where does one find WEP codes to use with wireless routers?
    >
    > thanks much,
    > mcnews

    Just make them up. Obvously you need the same key on all the PCs too.

    > > where does one find WEP codes to use with wireless routers?
    > >
    > > thanks much,
    > > mcnews
    > >

    > Just make them up. Obvously you need the same key on all the PCs too.

    over my head.
    can you give an example or explain further.

    WEP is encryption. There is no WEP "code", but there are keys. You
    arbitrarily decide what the key is. Most routers and client adapters let you
    enter the key as either a string of ASCII (readable text) characters, or as
    a string of hexadecimal digits. Most equipment also offers a choice of
    keylengths - 64 (sometimes called 40) and 128 are most common, 152 and 256
    are also available. Some vendors, like Netgear and Linksys, offer a
    "passphrase key generator", which is a utility that converts a passphrase
    (another arbitrarily-chosen text string) into a pseudo-random hexadecimal
    key value.

    You can create lists of up to 4 WEP keys on the router and the clients. but
    for simplicity I recommend you use only 1 key. Use the same keylength on the
    router and the clients (the longest allowed length common to all equipment).
    If you don't have a passphrase key generator, you can search the web to find
    one, or you can just make up keys. 64-bit keys must be exactly 5 ASCII
    characters (10 hex digits), and 128-bit keys must be exactly 13 ASCII
    characters (26 hex digits). Be sure to type *exactly* the same string into
    the router and each client, and be sure you've chosen the same data entry
    method (ASCII or hex) and the same keylength.

    "mcnewsxp" <mcourter@mindspring.com> wrote in message

    > > > where does one find WEP codes to use with wireless routers?
    > > >
    > > > thanks much,
    > > > mcnews
    > > >

    > > Just make them up. Obvously you need the same key on all the PCs too.
    >
    > over my head.
    > can you give an example or explain further.

    Take a look at this wireless key generator available from here, I've nothing
    to do with this guy - but I'm sure he wont mind me saying that he's got some
    other great software on his site too!

    http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk/prods/misc/index.php

    Lee

    "mcnewsxp" <mcourter@mindspring.com> wrote in message

    > > > where does one find WEP codes to use with wireless routers?
    > > >
    > > > thanks much,
    > > > mcnews
    > > >

    > > Just make them up. Obvously you need the same key on all the PCs too.
    >
    > over my head.
    > can you give an example or explain further.

    is this something *remotely* like a password?

    No. A password is used for authentication only - it's a phrase that only you
    are supposed to know, and if you provide it when challenged, it indicates
    that you are who you say you are. At least, that's the theory, in practice
    passwords have obvious limitations.

    A WEP key is for encryption, not authentication. If you have WEP enabled,
    every single 802.11 frame is transmitted with the payload encrypted.
    Receivers - which must have the same key as transmitters - decrypt the
    payload when the frame is received. The WEP key is merely used make the
    scrambling on your network different from the scrambling on your neighbors'
    nework.

    If you use encryption, then you also get authentication, since no networking
    is possible unless all stations use the same key. And it's better than
    password authentication, since that only establishes identity in one
    direction. WEP is a weak encryption system, and there are lots of tools to
    crack it. But, if you use the longest possible keylength, and change keys
    often, it provides greatly improved security.

    > is this something *remotely* like a password?

    ok. i think i git it.
    thanks for details.

    "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > No. A password is used for authentication only - it's a phrase that only
    you
    > are supposed to know, and if you provide it when challenged, it indicates
    > that you are who you say you are. At least, that's the theory, in practice
    > passwords have obvious limitations.
    >
    > A WEP key is for encryption, not authentication. If you have WEP enabled,
    > every single 802.11 frame is transmitted with the payload encrypted.
    > Receivers - which must have the same key as transmitters - decrypt the
    > payload when the frame is received. The WEP key is merely used make the
    > scrambling on your network different from the scrambling on your
    neighbors'
    > nework.
    >
    > If you use encryption, then you also get authentication, since no
    networking
    > is possible unless all stations use the same key. And it's better than
    > password authentication, since that only establishes identity in one
    > direction. WEP is a weak encryption system, and there are lots of tools to
    > crack it. But, if you use the longest possible keylength, and change keys
    > often, it provides greatly improved security.
    >
    > "mcnewsxp" <mcourter@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > is this something *remotely* like a password?

    "gary" mentioned...
    > for simplicity I recommend you use only 1 key.

    One router here for certain, I think another also do require four keys
    client and ap in same order when config'd as a Shared system.

    how do client PCs use or see the keys?

    I suspect, from your questions, that you need to read some basic tutorials.
    Try

    http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1368661

    You can click the "tutorials" tab, or search by topic, to find other
    articles.

    All encryption assumes that sender and receiver share a key. In assymetric
    encryption (like public-key) the shared key is used only in the encrypting
    phase, and the receiver has a private non-shared key to decrypt. In
    symmetric encryption (like WEP) sender and receiver share the same private
    key.

    That means that the router and *each* client in the system must be
    configured with exactly the same key. That's the only way they "see" the
    key. Actually, there is a suffix to the key (the IV), generated
    automatically by the sender, which is sent in the frame and retrieved from
    the frame by the receiver.

    The way the key is used is complex. The key, extended by the IV, is used in
    an algorithm called RC4 to create a string of bytes that are exclusively
    or'ed with the text.

    "bumtracks" <user@unknown.org> wrote in message

    > "gary" mentioned...
    > > for simplicity I recommend you use only 1 key.
    >
    > One router here for certain, I think another also do require four keys
    > client and ap in same order when config'd as a Shared system.

    You never need to configure more than one key, although many passphrase
    generators will fill in all key slots automatically. If you use the same
    generator on the router and all clients, no problem. But for a beginner,
    choosing keys manually, I recommend configuring exactly one key.

    It should be the first (and only) key entered into the keylists on every
    station in the network.

Wireless Router Wireless WEP Internet Wireless Networking