What key combination causes this?

Hi all,
My wife works a lot in Photoshop and often has reason to select random files
from a folder and delete them. Lately she has been thinking that there is
something wrong with the pc in that while she is holding down CTRL and
selecting the files, she will often make an inadvertent copy of all of them.
What is it she is doing that causes this? It doesn't happen when I do it.
Thanks for your help.
Gary
5 answers Last reply
More about what combination this

    Probably she inadvertantly moved one of the icons she was selecting with the
    button down, and Windoze sees the release of the button as a command to
    copy.

    A quick Edit/Undo or ctrl-z will fix the problem.
    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "We've secretly switched the dilithium crystals with new Folger's
    "algae" <boycefamilynospam@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    Hi all,
    My wife works a lot in Photoshop and often has reason to select random files
    from a folder and delete them. Lately she has been thinking that there is
    something wrong with the pc in that while she is holding down CTRL and
    selecting the files, she will often make an inadvertent copy of all of them.
    What is it she is doing that causes this? It doesn't happen when I do it.
    Thanks for your help.
    Gary

    Moving the mouse will make Windows think that you, I mean your wife, is
    dragging the files. Dragging them makes copies. She has to learn not to
    move the mouse. It happens to me once and a while, but only if I have a
    huge amount of files selected. ;-)

    Or the Drag sensitivity can be adjusted using TweakUI.

    TweakUI
    [+] Mouse

    Menu Speed
    The Menu Speed slider control sets the speed at which
    cascading menus automatically open when you move the
    mouse over them. The fastest setting causes them to open
    immediately and the slowest setting is extraordinary slow.

    To test the mouse setting, right-click the test icon.
    -----

    Double-click sensitivity
    Double-click sensitivity specifies how close together two
    mouse clicks need to be (in pixels) to be considered a
    double click.

    To test the double-click sensitivity, click twice on the test icon
    with the left mouse button. If the two clicks registered as a
    double-click, then the icon will change.
    -----

    Drag sensitivity
    Drag sensitivity specifies how far (in pixels) the mouse must
    move with the button held down before the system decides
    that you are dragging the object. Increase this value if you
    find that you are dragging objects accidentally when you click
    on them.

    To test drag sensitivity, try to drag the test icon with the
    left mouse button. The icon will begin dragging when you
    have moved the mouse the necessary distance.
    -----

    Hover
    This is used to detect when the mouse hovers over the icon to get selected.
    The size of the region is determined by the hover sensitivity in pixels.
    -----

    Wheel
    This is used to control the number of lines when the mouse wheel is
    scrolled. This can be either one page at a time or a particular number of
    lines at a time.
    -----

    X-Mouse
    The “Activation follows mouse” checkbox enables X-Mouse style window
    activation. When X-mouse style window activation is enabled, you need only
    move the mouse into a window in order to give it focus. Normally you must
    click on a window in order to give it focus.
    ----------

    Download TweakUI here >>>

    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

    Tweak UI
    This PowerToy gives you access to system settings that are not
    exposed in the Windows XP default user interface, including
    mouse settings, Explorer settings, taskbar settings, and more.

    Version 2.10 requires Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Windows
    Server 2003.

    Tweak UI
    TweakUI.exe
    ===

    Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
    http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:9dsSe.72420$Hk.68368@pd7tw1no,
    algae <boycefamilynospam@shaw.ca> hunted and pecked:

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "We've secretly switched the dilithium crystals with new Folger's
    Crystals...
    let's watch what happens."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

    <ROTFL>

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:276dnQl8rMWJ6IfeRVn-sQ@midco.net,
    VManes <vmanes@N0SP&Mrap.midco.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Probably she inadvertantly moved one of the icons she was selecting with
    > the button down, and Windoze sees the release of the button as a command
    > to copy.
    >
    > A quick Edit/Undo or ctrl-z will fix the problem.
    > --
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > "We've secretly switched the dilithium crystals with new Folger's
    > Crystals...
    > let's watch what happens."
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > "algae" <boycefamilynospam@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > My wife works a lot in Photoshop and often has reason to select random
    > files from a folder and delete them. Lately she has been thinking that
    > there is something wrong with the pc in that while she is holding down
    > CTRL and selecting the files, she will often make an inadvertent copy of
    > all of them. What is it she is doing that causes this? It doesn't happen
    > when I do it. Thanks for your help.
    > Gary

    Thanks.
    G.

    "" wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > My wife works a lot in Photoshop and often has reason to
    > select random files
    > from a folder and delete them. Lately she has been thinking
    > that there is
    > something wrong with the pc in that while she is holding down
    > CTRL and
    > selecting the files, she will often make an inadvertent copy
    > of all of them.
    > What is it she is doing that causes this? It doesn't happen
    > when I do it.
    > Thanks for your help.
    > Gary

    I suspect what your wife is doing is holding down the mouse button
    while over the file and draging it slightly, hance making a copy of
    all the files. I do this some times, but not offten.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-key-combination-ftopict417095.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1391218

Windows XP