I have a Gateway Pentium with Windows XP SP2.

There is a RAID 1 (mirror) main HD (250 Gig).

I have been having a shutdown problem, checked for virus & malware - neg

Recently the system has started running CHKDSK:

In Stage 2 of 3 it gives repeated message....

"Correcting error in index $I30 for file 188981"
After a long period it boots with the notation, "an unspecified error
occurred"

Then when boots thru this

"CTHELPER.exe - Application Error"

The instruction at "0x73dd3190" referenced memory at "0x11d13ea7". The
memory could not be read.

This pattern occurred when one of the disks was starting to fail, is this
happening again?

Please advise........

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:%23vX9nGPsFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
T Brox <wtbrox@yahoo.com> had this to say:

> I have a Gateway Pentium with Windows XP SP2.
>
> There is a RAID 1 (mirror) main HD (250 Gig).
>
> I have been having a shutdown problem, checked for virus & malware -
> neg
> Recently the system has started running CHKDSK:
>
> In Stage 2 of 3 it gives repeated message....
>
> "Correcting error in index $I30 for file 188981"
> After a long period it boots with the notation, "an unspecified error
> occurred"
>
> Then when boots thru this
>
> "CTHELPER.exe - Application Error"
>
> The instruction at "0x73dd3190" referenced memory at "0x11d13ea7". The
> memory could not be read.
>
> This pattern occurred when one of the disks was starting to fail, is
> this happening again?
>
> Please advise........

It could be and running the diagnostic tools from your drive manufacturer is
recommended at this point. However you should be able to disable the
cthelper.exe to see if that makes a difference. The process is meant to
enable third parties to interact with your Creative Labs sound card and
isn't used by too many vendors that I'm aware of. Having disabled it on a
number of PCs and never found it problematic I'd recommend you at least try
the same to see if that makes a difference.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes