truemobile 1150 card with SMC cannot connect to Internet

peter

[PREFACE: I see here that there as been much discussion about
compatibility issues between Truemobile cards and SMC wireless
routers, so maybe I just have to accept that this pairing cannot work.
nevertheless...]

I am trying to use a True Mobile 1150 PCMCIA adaptor on laptop running
Windows 98 to connect to an SMC Barricade wireless router. The
connection to the router shows as "Excellent" and the lights all green
but I cannot get onto the Internet.

I have checked my networking parameters as best I can. TCP/IP for Dell
True Mobile adapter is installed and is set to automatically detect.

what am I missing?

Many thanks

Peter Stock

(on a possibly unrelated issue, what also baffles me is that thinking
that the WEP code might have been wrong, when I tinker with it, no
matter what Hex code I use [Encryption is enabled on the SMC Router],
it still always shows Green and an "Excellent" connection. If I used
the wrong WEP code, should not the adapter not connect and go red? If
I disable the Encryption the connection does drop and go Red.)

peter <pstock@aei.ca> wrote:
> [PREFACE: I see here that there as been much discussion about
> compatibility issues between Truemobile cards and SMC wireless
> routers, so maybe I just have to accept that this pairing cannot work.
> nevertheless...]

> I am trying to use a True Mobile 1150 PCMCIA adaptor on laptop running
> Windows 98 to connect to an SMC Barricade wireless router. The
> connection to the router shows as "Excellent" and the lights all green
> but I cannot get onto the Internet.

I have an Orinco Silver (the Dell 1150 is an Orinoco Gold) in a Win2000
laptop that has connected to every WAP I've encountered with no trouble,
including my SMC7004VWBR and SMC7004WFW. I don't use WEP.

Unload any Windows-provided drivers, and load the Orinoco drivers.
Make sure that "default" is selected for the SSID that you want to connect
to. It should work.
< http://www.proxim.com/support/all/orinoco/software/dl2002-oricli-win-sr-02.html >

--
---